· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alligator Gar

Awards Showcase

sorry about your cat, but 18 years old is a impressive age! - cocoa_pleco Heres To Those Baby Angels Of Yours! :) - MeganL3985 oscar drinking party! - cocoa_pleco for quiz answer - Dave66 From one mom to another, cheers! - SkarloeysMom 
    cause you are a nice person - mitcore my shout - crackatinny For my fellow StarWars geek, cheers right back at ya - digital3 This just in...  Arkie RULES!!!! - digital3 Merry Christmas Girl :) - MeganL3985 
    Looks like another hangover LOL - crackatinny Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom Happy Holidays Sweet Cheeks! - digital3 Happy new year, share it with bro, LOL - crackatinny Aussie Aussie Aussie Oy Oy Oy! - Dave66 
    happy new year to you too! - cocoa_pleco hot there? hope this makes you cool :) - Blu-ray for fixing my mistake, thanks - mitcore oscar par-tay! lol - cocoa_pleco after today, I think you may need a break, Happy V-Day  also... - Pr0eve 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - arkie 

Default Alligator Gar

0 Not allowed!
    on our pet shop run on the weekend we found a 20cm alligator gar for sale... ive never seen anything like it. they are the weirdest things but oh so cool. the guy at the petshop fed it some feeder fish. the fish was there one sec then gone the next!!! if i had the $380 he wanted for it i would have bought it. anyone have these fish? and if so... how cool are they? hahaha just to make me want one a little bit more
    4ft cichlid community
    4ft community tank
    2ft endler guppy tank
    think i have MTS!!!!!

Awards Showcase

After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish 
    Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa Merry Christmas - KingFisher 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 
    Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Happy Birthday. - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    They need a massive tank... one of those fish that should not be for sale unless you have an extraordinary setup. There was an episode of River Monsters showcasing how big and nasty these gars can be!
    Thar she blows!!!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    These guys get 6 ft real easy.Do you have an abondoned swimming pool to keep him in?

0 Not allowed!
    They rarely reach much more than 4 feet in captivity (still huge) and I would need to see pics to even confirm that it is in fact a true gator gar (A. spatula). Every gar in the hobby seems to be called an Alligator gar or some twisted variation of that name.

Arkie - can you get a pic of this fish? They are and awesome fish to keep and I have been doing so for a good number of years. I have kept 5 out of the 7 species of true gar (lepisosteidae).

p.s. good to see ya back!
    Last edited by Demjor19; 08-29-2009 at 10:20 PM.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

Awards Showcase

sorry about your cat, but 18 years old is a impressive age! - cocoa_pleco Heres To Those Baby Angels Of Yours! :) - MeganL3985 oscar drinking party! - cocoa_pleco for quiz answer - Dave66 From one mom to another, cheers! - SkarloeysMom 
    cause you are a nice person - mitcore my shout - crackatinny For my fellow StarWars geek, cheers right back at ya - digital3 This just in...  Arkie RULES!!!! - digital3 Merry Christmas Girl :) - MeganL3985 
    Looks like another hangover LOL - crackatinny Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom Happy Holidays Sweet Cheeks! - digital3 Happy new year, share it with bro, LOL - crackatinny Aussie Aussie Aussie Oy Oy Oy! - Dave66 
    happy new year to you too! - cocoa_pleco hot there? hope this makes you cool :) - Blu-ray for fixing my mistake, thanks - mitcore oscar par-tay! lol - cocoa_pleco after today, I think you may need a break, Happy V-Day  also... - Pr0eve 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - arkie 

0 Not allowed!
    nah no pic as he is in a pet shop a good hours drive away lol. from what i have been reading they do get huge so im steering away from getting one as cool as they are... was one of those passing ideas that are really good at the time! glad i didnt impulse buy this fish!!!!
    thanks for your info though guys
    p.s its great to be back
    4ft cichlid community
    4ft community tank
    2ft endler guppy tank
    think i have MTS!!!!!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I am working on a national geographic documentary and i am looking for some one who possibly has a pond/aquarium with alligator gar where we could come and film alligator gar up close under water. If you or anyone you know has this please e-mail me at buoy59@yahoo.com Thanks!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by buoy59
    Hello,

I am working on a national geographic documentary and i am looking for some one who possibly has a pond/aquarium with alligator gar where we could come and film alligator gar up close under water. If you or anyone you know has this please e-mail me at --blank-- Thanks!
    It's not a good idea digging up old threads! It would be a better idea start your own thread on this section. I am not clear on the forum policies reguarding these sorts of requests. Better still than asking on the forums you could also ask William (Owner of the website) If he could get in touch with someone he would know from the forum who has one.

160ltr Amazon Semi-Biotope Aquarium

Fishless Cycle | Cycling with Fish | Forum Rules

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by buoy59
    Hello,

I am working on a national geographic documentary and i am looking for some one who possibly has a pond/aquarium with alligator gar where we could come and film alligator gar up close under water. If you or anyone you know has this please e-mail me at buoy59@yahoo.com Thanks!
    I have contacts im MI that work very closely with Gator gars (I personally do not work with them, as I don't have the space yet)... I don't think they have anything in the size range that you seem to be interested in either. You best bet would probably be to contact some public aquariums/zoos. I do think they would view you going in the tank as a liability though (even though there has never been a (confirmed) documented case of a Gator gar attacking a human).

The best I could do is let you film my Tropical Gar, Florida Gar, and Longnose Gar. Sorry.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

9. Default Alligator Gar

0 Not allowed!
    when i lived in Virginia Beach I bought a young alligator gar from the local pet shop. I kept him/her in my 55 gal. community tank. I also fed him a LOT of feeder goldfish so he wouldn't eat any of the others. Pretty much a basic set up, neutral PH of about 7. I had tetras, upside down cats, frogmouth chaca chaca a black ghost knife and lots of others. never had problems with anyone not getting along...but I emphasize, i kept the gar well fed. I've known him to eat about 2 dozen in a day. He /she was 3-4 inches when i got him and when I moved about a year later he was 9-10 inches and getting heavy bodied. I didn't want to risk any of them dying because of the move so i took them all back to the shop where i'd bought them. Jay, the great guy that worked there was stunned when he saw how big all my "babies" had gotten. Gars are not hard to keep but I think i'd go for a pond for them, or at least a 125 gal. tank I cannot believe they asked that price...380.00?!!!
    Last edited by cavebear58; 06-03-2010 at 12:42 AM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebear58
    when i lived in Virginia Beach I bought a young alligator gar from the local pet shop. I kept him/her in my 55 gal. community tank. I also fed him a LOT of feeder goldfish so he wouldn't eat any of the others. Pretty much a basic set up, neutral PH of about 7. I had tetras, upside down cats, frogmouth chaca chaca a black ghost knife and lots of others. never had problems with anyone not getting along...but I emphasize, i kept the gar well fed. I've known him to eat about 2 dozen in a day. He /she was 3-4 inches when i got him and when I moved about a year later he was 9-10 inches and getting heavy bodied. I didn't want to risk any of them dying because of the move so i took them all back to the shop where i'd bought them. Jay, the great guy that worked there was stunned when he saw how big all my "babies" had gotten. Gars are not hard to keep but I think i'd go for a pond for them, or at least a 125 gal. tank I cannot believe they asked that price...380.00?!!!
    Virginia beach!? That's where I am! Where'd you see this gar? animal jungle?