· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snails...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Practice your reading...Lol XD - Drumachine09   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - SouthernGal0682   

Default Snails...

0 Not allowed!
    I have already removed 2 snails from my tank, and today I saw one that is at least 3 times the size of the first two. I was about to send him packing too untill I noticed that he was eating the algae off the back of my tank. Are they really terrible for my plants? Is it true that they will eat them or will they stick to algae?
    38 gal freshwater planted aquarium
    Marineland 220 Canister
    AGA Light strip with 85 watts
    Plants...
    Marble Sword
    Water sprite
    Purple leaf plant (can't remember the name)
    A bulb plant with curly leaves (can't remember the name)
    Tall grassy plant with little white flowers :)
    Fish...
    Mystery Earth Eater (Will update when I figure out what they are!)
    2 Bolivian Rams
    2 German rams
    8 Lemon Tetra
    5 Serpae Tetra
    4 Oto Catfish
    2 Blue snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    It depends on the type of snail. Try to post a pic or see if you can ID them. Some snails are destructive, while others will only eat dead or dying plants. In any case though, they will multiply very quickly and take over your tank if you overfeed and still multiple even if you don't. Most often, you'll see people asking for malaysian trumpet snails for their planted tank, as they dig around the substrate and aerate it, but not all snails will be as benign.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   coffee, tea or me? - Lady Hobbs   now it looks better here - Lady Hobbs   ok, I quit - Lady Hobbs   Cogratulations on 1st lottery win! - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sergo   

0 Not allowed!
    i had some snails for a little while and they never did any damage to my plant as they were either on the glass or rocks. i got to little yoyo loaches and they got rid of all of them in less than 3 days. they are incredible!
    if you don't have too many i wouldn't bother with them but if they start to get out of control (and they will) i suggest maybe just 1 yoyo loach to keep them under control.
    i get weird looks from from my lfs guys when i ask if i can have some snails out of their plant tanks. then i tell them why :)
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here are some spring flowers to make you smile - kimmers318   Thought You Could Use More Gifts! :) - MeganL3985   I'm a sucker for you!  (I couldn't think of anything) - Kuli_Loach   I can't cook so I made you a sandwich : ) - Kuli_Loach   Nice Fishies You Got! Have Fun Picking More!! :) - MeganL3985   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Sarahmom   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Sarahmom   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - *Sarah*   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm having a bit of snail trouble myself. Started with 1, now there are tons of tiny little baby ones all over the place. I'm not too worried about it though, I just squish the little ones, and eventually will get something that feeds on them :)
    10 Gallon FW with Male Betta, 1 male Endler, and 5 Zebra Danios, 100 Gallon with Sevs, Acaras, Parrots and Loaches.

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    There are tiny 1 cm snails in 2 of my tanks. Not a problem since they are so small, and they clean up all the excess food in the breeding tank.
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - SouthernGal0682   

0 Not allowed!
    It disappeared! My husband fished (haha, no pun intended) around in the tank trying to catch the snail and it got up under a rock and I haven't seen it since them. I was going to take a picture. Oh well...If it comes around again I'll grab the camera. I haven't noticed any holes or torn edges on my plants, so I'm thinking they aren't being eaten.
    Marineland 220 Canister
    Plants...
    Marble Sword
    Water sprite
    Fish...
    2 Bolivian Rams
    2 German rams
    8 Lemon Tetra
    5 Serpae Tetra
    4 Oto Catfish
    2 Blue snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   strawberry daquari anyone? - Lady Hobbs   food, food, food - Lady Hobbs   My hero! - Lady Hobbs   Have another? - Drumachine09   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - xoolooxunny   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - xoolooxunny   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahmom
    I'm having a bit of snail trouble myself. Started with 1, now there are tons of tiny little baby ones all over the place. I'm not too worried about it though, I just squish the little ones, and eventually will get something that feeds on them :)
    crush too many of those little buggers and the shells might start to increase your ph, thats what shells do right?
    -75g FW community, planted
    -10g FW guppies, planted
    -44g Terrarium, tree frog, various plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by xoolooxunny
    crush too many of those little buggers and the shells might start to increase your ph, thats what shells do right?
    Snails pull the calcium for their shells out of the water, so they would just return what they took out.
    Foshizzle.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Finally got a pic! Its big enough now that my camera will (semi) focus on it! This is the only snail I have seen in my tank in about a week. I haven't seen that it is causing any damage to my plants. Should he stay or go?

Marineland 220 Canister
    Plants...
    Marble Sword
    Water sprite
    Fish...
    2 Bolivian Rams
    2 German rams
    8 Lemon Tetra
    5 Serpae Tetra
    4 Oto Catfish
    2 Blue snails

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   strawberry daquari anyone? - Lady Hobbs   food, food, food - Lady Hobbs   My hero! - Lady Hobbs   Have another? - Drumachine09   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - xoolooxunny   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - xoolooxunny   

0 Not allowed!
    I say get him out! There are probly others that you dont see, so keep taking them out, and get some of those brackish breeding olive netrite snails. I think that's what they're called...
    -75g FW community, planted
    -10g FW guppies, planted
    -44g Terrarium, tree frog, various plants.