· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

Default About removing metal band of bunch plants

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, I just copied this from Arizona Gardens. I'll be!

Lead Weights on your bunched plants: Leave them on or take them off.It doesn’t matter one bit. They are actually made of a zinc/magnesium metal that is completely harmless to fish and other plants. If you have the time, you can individually plant EACH stem or if you want our opinion just plant the whole BUNCH as a group. Please note that you should snip just the end of the bottom of the stem, about a quarter inch of the base of the plant before installing your bunch, kind of like if you just got fresh roses, you would snip the ends before placing them in a vase. You can then rewrap the weight around the bundle.

Hey Chrona.......see what they say about planting all together.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Meh, guess I was wrong? My first batch of stems that I didn't take the weights off of all rotted from the bottom. Thus, at the very least, I'd recommend getting a few more weights or a plant plug and spreading them out a little (making sure to clip the damaged ends off) and putting them in groups of 2 or 3 instead of the 6-8 they come in. I never said the lead weights were dangerous or anything, just that I noticed they tend to cause the plants to rot if you have a bunch of stems pressed together.
    Last edited by Chrona; 03-27-2007 at 06:12 AM.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Some varying opinions, but they all seem to agree about the individual or 2-3 cluster thing.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ht=lead+weight

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ht=lead+weight

Hey I can't always be right eh? And stop gloating! :P
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't trim the bottoms off as they recommend either. OOPS. I have them all potted in groups in pots. I didn't stick them in the Fluorite like that. I will separate them when they go in a different tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I wouldn't plant them like this for real. I'd had one huge heavy glob of plants and then nothing anywhere else. I couldn't keep them in the Fluorite so pulled them up and just potted the whole slew of them. It would take 20 pots to do each one individually goof.

The bands this company talks about may be something different than this rum-dum on Ebay used, as well. But what the heck, you wouldn't pot them with that band on them anway. The plants couldn't grow all jammed together that tight.

I do wish I'd have trimmed off the bottoms now tho.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Oh, I wouldn't plant them like this for real. I'd had one huge heavy glob of plants and then nothing anywhere else. I couldn't keep them in the Fluorite so pulled them up and just potted the whole slew of them. It would take 20 pots to do each one individually goof.

The bands this company talks about may be something different than this rum-dum on Ebay used, as well. But what the heck, you wouldn't pot them with that band on them anway. The plants couldn't grow all jammed together that tight.

I do wish I'd have trimmed off the bottoms now tho.
    Sounds like you got a job to do tomorrow ;)
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Abbeys_Mom   Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs   thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom   Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom   

0 Not allowed!
    I was looking this up the other day. My loach swims around and has been uprooting my wisteria. I recalled reading something about glass weights or rods, but I couldn't find anything. Anyway, I found one site that said those lead weights can cause angelfish to die. It claimed they were lead sensitive. I don't know if it is true or the guy had other problems and was looking for something to blame. Just thought I'd pass the info.
    Greatest Guitar Forum Ever
    www.thestringnetwork.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. So glad you posted with the heads-up. It could well be true since angels are sensitive to many things and rather delicate.

Thanks for the info!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Abbeys_Mom   Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs   thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom   Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom   

0 Not allowed!
    No problem :)
    Greatest Guitar Forum Ever
    www.thestringnetwork.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   strawberry daquari anyone? - Lady Hobbs   food, food, food - Lady Hobbs   My hero! - Lady Hobbs   Have another? - Drumachine09   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - xoolooxunny   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - xoolooxunny   

0 Not allowed!
    I think the weights you buy yourself specify whether or not they are fish safe. I only use them if i dont have time to plant them, and then take them off when it comes time to do so. As for the rotting, I've experienced that too, like Chrona has. With all the metal wrapped so tight around the bunch, waste gets in, and fresh water doesnt!
    -75g FW community, planted
    -10g FW guppies, planted
    -44g Terrarium, tree frog, various plants.