· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Can anyone help me ID these?

0 Not allowed!
    I've had a few plants in my aquarium (Dwarf hair, some stuff that died a week after I got it (the "wool" left over from it's pot is still in there for some reason?), and an unidentified plant. I recently purchased a few new plants: Anacharis, Wisteria, and a broad-leaved unnamed plant. Any helpful tips for a beginnig aquarist is greatly appreciated! I've heard that when the Anacharis starts losing it's colour from the bottom (if it does) you can just break off the discoloured part and replant it and it'll grow.

The broad-leaved one:

The older one:

...with my Bichir:

Also, I was wondering how to get the dwarf hair to grow to cover the bottom (carpet). I've had it for two or three months now and it's only seemed to have gotten smaller.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    *plays trumpet*
    This sounds like a job for chrona!

Are those channel cats?
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   coffee, tea or me? - Lady Hobbs   now it looks better here - Lady Hobbs   ok, I quit - Lady Hobbs   Cogratulations on 1st lottery win! - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sergo   

0 Not allowed!
    i don't know what plants those are but the slow growth could be from a nutrient defficiency and/or low light conditions.

edit:one of them looks like an anubis
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    The broad leaved plant is anubias afzelli I believe. Not sure on the others, maybe some variety of ludwigia? Tough to tell because it's so chewed up.

Dwarf hairgrass requires a fairly high tech setup to spread into a carpet. How much lighting do you have over that tank (and what size tank is it)? Are you injecting CO2? Adding any fertilizer? What kind of substrate do you have? I can barely get my hairgrass to spread and everything else grows really well in my tank.

You need to remove as much of the rockwool as you can. It's used for shipping and holds enough nutrients for the plant while it's at the LFS, but it impedes growth after you put it in your tank and can sometimes cause the plant to rot.
    Last edited by Chrona; 03-25-2007 at 04:22 AM.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for good advice - hobbs   ROADTRIP! - Drumachine09   We'll need a case of these for the roadtrip, got the humvee waitin. lol - cocoa_pleco   NO plants = Sour grapes  LOL - hobbs   Wooden Spoon Protection! - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    For general plant information, you can try my guide
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=4721

Rex Grigg's website

http://www.rexgrigg.com/

Or just post questions here :)

One more thing about dwarf hairgrass: You need to seperate the big clump into smaller pieces, otherwise it will grow VERY slowly (and probably die in some areas) and collect debris/algae.
    Last edited by Chrona; 03-25-2007 at 04:25 AM.
    Foshizzle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   coffee, tea or me? - Lady Hobbs   now it looks better here - Lady Hobbs   ok, I quit - Lady Hobbs   Cogratulations on 1st lottery win! - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sergo   

0 Not allowed!
    and he'll jump right on them
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Only up for another half hour though :)
    Foshizzle.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumachine09
    *plays trumpet*
    This sounds like a job for chrona!

Are those channel cats?
    No, they're silver tipped sharks (I think it's Hexanematichthys seemani, or Arius jordani - same thing?), Renegade and Boomer.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   For the donation...thanks! - A340   Merry Christmas :) - squirt_12   Merry Christmas! - SkarloeysMom   Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! - 2manyfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Drumachine09   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Drumachine09   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Drumachine09   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Drumachine09   Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, i didnt see the elongated spine at first. Isnt it funny how they just tag the "shark" onto a bunch of different species just to make them more apealing?

Ex.The rainbow/redfinned sharks are actually minnows!
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrona
    The broad leaved plant is anubias afzelli I believe. Not sure on the others, maybe some variety of ludwigia? Tough to tell because it's so chewed up.

Dwarf hairgrass requires a fairly high tech setup to spread into a carpet. How much lighting do you have over that tank (and what size tank is it)? Are you injecting CO2? Adding any fertilizer? What kind of substrate do you have? I can barely get my hairgrass to spread and everything else grows really well in my tank.

You need to remove as much of the rockwool as you can. It's used for shipping and holds enough nutrients for the plant while it's at the LFS, but it impedes growth after you put it in your tank and can sometimes cause the plant to rot.
    I was thinking it might be Anubis but I havn't seen enough of them to tell. Ludwigia? I'll look that up.

I have no CO2 injection and my substrate is gravel with sand, about an inch and a half of sand with an inch or so of gravel mixed with the top of that. I have no fertilizer and my lighting is only a 20 watt single tube flourescent. I've got a 35 gallon tank. I don't know really anything about the water conditions (no pH strips) so that's about all I can tell you. Not exactly the most ideal setup for plants..

Is there any homemade methods you have for CO2 injection?