· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks! - Northernguy   a little encouragment for your tank - bushwhacker   Its almost ready! lol - Northernguy   Congrats on your anniversary! - Northernguy   For the nice lady! - Mith   

Default Squigglies in the tank

0 Not allowed!
    I've noticed that I seem to have tiny little living critters in my tank water and am just wondering if it's anything to worry about. Previously I've noticed the occasional very small (less than 1/2") white, thread-like thing that just floats around and wiggles a little. Tonight, though, I looked and there's also a shorter (1/4"?), much more active type. It looks sort of metallic in color (thought it might be an air bubble from a distance), and it moves too quickly for me to be certain but it looks like the "body" might be segmented and the head might be slightly thicker than the rest. It's a little thicker than the white thread-like ones, and it moves constantly and quickly, just squirming around while floating in the water. There appear to be a few of them. Anyone have any idea what this might be? I'd try to take pictures, but I really doubt I could get a good shot of one. Do I need to take some sort of drastic measure to get rid of them?

The white ones I thought might have somehow come with the mature media I was given, since the sponges were the type used to cover an intake tube. I thought maybe some sort of live food might have managed to stay with the sponge during transport. I hadn't noticed the other type before tonight, though. I did add my driftwood just a few days ago, but it had been soaking for a good while and I had poured boiling water over it so I'd think that would have killed anything.

Hope that's enough information to be useful. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
    30-gallon hex -- 5 corydoras trilineatus 9 cardinal tetras 1 Bolivian Ram 5 marbled hatchetfish 4 otocinclus
    5-gallon standard -- 1 male betta

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -- Jim Elliot

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like small nematode worms... check this out to be sure...

http://www.micrographia.com/specbiol...d/nema0100.htm
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds like you are overfeeding your tank.
    The white ones are found in most every tank.I can'trecall the name though! lol Someone will.
    Not sure what the metallic ones are.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Like NG said, usually a result of overfeeding...
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks! - Northernguy   a little encouragment for your tank - bushwhacker   Its almost ready! lol - Northernguy   Congrats on your anniversary! - Northernguy   For the nice lady! - Mith   

0 Not allowed!
    Would the white ones be the nematodes? The pictures look similar, anyhow, but of course I don't see mine at that kind of magnification. ;) Those didn't worry me, really, but the metallic looking ones are a little weird. They're very active.

No food in the tank since I'm still cycling, but I did start adding Seachem Stability last Friday. Not sure what it has in it, but I suppose there's a chance there's something that could be feeding the critters. Otherwise it's just gravel, driftwood, and a large aponogeton. Obviously there is ammonia present in the tank when I add it, if that's a factor.
    30-gallon hex -- 5 corydoras trilineatus 9 cardinal tetras 1 Bolivian Ram 5 marbled hatchetfish 4 otocinclus
    5-gallon standard -- 1 male betta

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -- Jim Elliot

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That's interesting. Personally I've only heard of these things in established tanks that are being overfed. It is said they are an indicator of an excess of rotting food in the substrate. But since your tank is still cycling...??? Maybe they were introduced via your plant or driftwood, or snails if you have any...
    10g planted fw; 6 albino bronze corys
    40g; empty

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1st gift and good luck with the tank! - Jaster   

0 Not allowed!
    i don't know about the white one but the other one, the way you said it moves, might simply be mosquito larvae. check it on the net though. can't be sure without seeing it. if it is mosquito "offspring" it i'll be eaten up once you put the fish in
    good luck