· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choices Please

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift :) - Agassizii   Have a frontosa! - Lab_Rat   Have a clown loach - Celtic Fins   Class Clown - gabbyguppy   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Padams   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Padams   

Default Choices Please

0 Not allowed!
    I am getting a school of Zebra Danios.

The question becomes do I get a full 10 and nothing else?

OR

Do I get 6 and another 1-2 compatible?

PLEASE keep in mind its only a 10g and not upgrading in the near (possibly distant) future. I would like a lively tank as this is primarily for the kids (5 & 2). I realize there are a gazillion choices, but I am looking for the heartier species as it is a 1st tank and we have had enough issues to this point.

Thanks for you info and ideas.
    Paul

Patience..............The World Is Round You"ll get There
    Determination is the unrelenting pursuit of perfection with the knowledge it can never be achieved.
    10g.... partly fake planted (partly not) with Zebras, "The gunpoint" Platy, & Big Boss Gourami, Coryz and Oto the zucchini fiend
    2 Dogs 3 Cats

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Holiday Ham comes ones a year... to bring you a pig size share of holiday cheer! - Trillianne   

0 Not allowed!
    A few male guppies would be a colorful addition and will entertain the kids. You can also add some shrimp which they may enjoy watching crawl around the bottom. Just be sure the tank is finished cycling before adding any more fish.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Another possibility would be to add a "centerpiece" fish, such as a dwarf gourami. Make sure you research what fish you want to get before going to the fish store. Many fish get too big for a 10g even though the store employees will tell you they're fine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift :) - Agassizii   Have a frontosa! - Lab_Rat   Have a clown loach - Celtic Fins   Class Clown - gabbyguppy   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Padams   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Padams   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Rat
    Another possibility would be to add a "centerpiece" fish, such as a dwarf gourami. Make sure you research what fish you want to get before going to the fish store. Many fish get too big for a 10g even though the store employees will tell you they're fine.

This is why I am asking for ideas and advice. I do not want a tank with OVER maintained. nor do I want one over loaded either.
    Paul

Determination is the unrelenting pursuit of perfection with the knowledge it can never be achieved.
    10g.... partly fake planted (partly not) with Zebras, "The gunpoint" Platy, & Big Boss Gourami, Coryz and Oto the zucchini fiend
    2 Dogs 3 Cats

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher
    A few male guppies would be a colorful addition and will entertain the kids. You can also add some shrimp which they may enjoy watching crawl around the bottom. Just be sure the tank is finished cycling before adding any more fish.

Can guppies be in just 2's? I had thought they needed 4 (1m 3F)?
    Paul

2 Dogs 3 Cats

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Holiday Ham comes ones a year... to bring you a pig size share of holiday cheer! - Trillianne   

0 Not allowed!
    male guppies can be kept in any number. It is when you add females that you want the ratio to keep the males from harassing them all the time.

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Sort of like a Bar

0 Not allowed!
    Once you add females they need to have the higher #s to keep the boyz busy.
    Paul

2 Dogs 3 Cats

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Exactly. Guppies are lucky.

"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default so

0 Not allowed!
    6 Zebras and then 2wks later 2 (max 3) m guppies is acceptable for a 10g w/ proper maintenance.

They pretty much all eat the same correct?
    Paul

2 Dogs 3 Cats

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

just felt like celebrating today. - gabbyguppy   thanks for the plants - mommy1   Congrats on the new cube tank! - Pleco380   GRRR back at you - mommy1   Thanks for all the plants! - Lab_Rat   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jacko   

0 Not allowed!
    I would not put zebra danios in a 10 gallon tank, they are far to active IME for a 20" tank, a 20 gallon (24") is really the minimum for them, especially since they get more active in a larger school. I had a school of 10 in a 75 and they used every inch of the 4'.

For the guppies, either get totally females or totally males, I'd suggest males a.) they are more colorful and b.) females are often gravid when you get them.