· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cool Thoughts on fiddler tank

0 Not allowed!
    I will be cleaning out a small eclipse 6 gallon tank later today and i was wondeirng if this would be suffecient for a pair of fiddler crabs. With plenty of plants, a small peice of drift wood extending out of the water, and maybe a bit of rock that reachs the water line. I was thinking maybe a couple of guppies possibly or som other small fish to keep the fiddlers company but if the fish wont fit i can leave them out of the plan.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is crab for your AC tank! Sorry no fish bowl!lol - Northernguy   awesome tank! - Jacko   Thanks! - Agassizii   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmmm.... I think you should only add fiddler crabs because when I added fish to my fiddler tank the fish killed two of my crabs when they were molting, but it is your choice if you want to add some fish to your fiddler tank. A 6gal could only hold two or three fiddlers. fiddler crabs need brackish water and they are great escape artists so make sure your tank is properly secuired.Your idea is pretty neet it should work out just fine. If you need any help just ask, I will gladly help you. This is what what my fiddler tank looks like. p.s I put a pic of my tank on my reply just in case you wanted to use an idea from my tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aquatic lover; 08-07-2009 at 02:01 AM.
    crab freak!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the reply and the fish were definitely not a must just a possible addition but with the chance of the fish killing and eating the fiddlers after a molt i will definitely leave them out and maybe try for a third fiddler instead

and oh yes i have heard of the abilities of fiddlers to find ways out of tanks and i will make sure that any possible escape point is blocked off

and yes i will definitely be bringing all my questions here for you experts to answer and i will deffinitely have some like which plants will survive in a brackish environment and how would ghost shrimp do with the fiddlers would the fiddlers see them as an occasional snack or just leave them alone?

oohh yea and i saw the picture of your tank in another thread and i think it looks great and a very unique idea with the fish bowl inside

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is crab for your AC tank! Sorry no fish bowl!lol - Northernguy   awesome tank! - Jacko   Thanks! - Agassizii   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Well... fiddlers don't hunt but the fiddlers may try but won't get him but I can't guarentee you that. I think a ghost shrimp can go into your fiddler crab tank.
    crab freak!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To a great debater - Lady Hobbs   Another $ for the war - Lady Hobbs   I'll buy lunch on that. - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for your posts in my thread. - Mark Lathrop   Thanks for the rep points - Celtic Fins   

0 Not allowed!
    The fish bowl thing is rather interesting.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

First Fish and you saved a beta! lol - Northernguy   You need at least one pleco here! - Northernguy   Thanks for playing the game! - Brookfish   Thanks for playing - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromeLibrarian
    The fish bowl thing is rather interesting.
    I was just thinking the same thing! What smart thinking!

3 Red Glo-Fish, 1 Orange Glo-fish, 8 peppered cories
    10 Gallon ~ 1 Crowntail Betta

<<<Click ME!!>>

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatic lover
    Well... fiddlers don't hunt but the fiddlers may try but won't get him but I can't guarentee you that. I think a ghost shrimp can go into your fiddler crab tank.
    cool and after i made that message i thought to myself wait why do i care if the fiddlers eat the ghosties they are cheap to replace lmao.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To a great debater - Lady Hobbs   Another $ for the war - Lady Hobbs   I'll buy lunch on that. - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for your posts in my thread. - Mark Lathrop   Thanks for the rep points - Celtic Fins   

0 Not allowed!
    If a crab gets it's claws on a ghost shrimp, it will get eaten.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - kacourt   Search for fiddler crab and female beta tank - kacourt   

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Cool idea with the bowl. I am planning on a fiddler crab tank so that would be a cool thing to add.
    Last edited by Monicka2; 09-13-2009 at 03:38 AM.

Monicka2

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

ya needed one - korith   for being super sweet - Lynn Conroy   I told you I'd use it well ;-) - DragonWatch   Something for your tank,  and for being a good sport. - Brookfish   Happy Saint Patricks Day! - Brookfish   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - lobsternoob   

0 Not allowed!
    interesting, first I've heard of fish killing fiddlers, usually the other way around. I can get it though, because crabs are very vulnerable when molting.

I'd also say the eclipse 6 is a good tank for crabs since it has a pretty decent footprint for its size, although you're gonna have to get something to replace the built in filter, it won't pull water that high and would cause a big waterfall. That's all assuming your gonna have a fairly low water level in the tank though.
    The ghosties, ya theyd prolly get eaten if they get caught, but if your not concerned about the cost of them, I wouldn't worry too much, from what I've heard they're pretty healthy as feeders.

It sounds like a good plan to me though so far, I want a crab or crayfish tank real bad myself, just dont wanna dedicate a 20 or bigger to one crawdad, and dont want to cram it into a 2.5 either.

post some pics when you get it going! can't wait!
    No matter how much I learn or know I'm still gonna be a NOOB, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot!