· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Fin rot -- how will I know when it's controlled?

0 Not allowed!
    My male veiltail betta has now been in my care for over a year. If the pet store sold him to me when he was 6 months old, that would make him at least 1.5 years old.

He's been doing well all this time, enjoying his food and dancing for me when I look at him. He makes bubble nests and seems happy. The tank is established with biological filtration and the water parameters have been stable since the tank (2.5 gallons) cycled a year ago. Temperature is a balmy 78 degrees.

A week ago, I noticed his tail fin was disintegrating at a rapid pace. The edges would turn a funny color and the next day the tail would be shorter. Much shorter.

I have done two partial water changes since then, including a full vacuuming of the gravel. I have increased the amount of aquarium salt in his tank. I've been dosing his water with Maracyn-Two (minocycline) according to instructions.

The rot seems to have slowed or stopped. It's very hard to tell. He occasionally spins around and takes a bite out of what's left of his tail, so I imagine it's annoying to him.

What should I expect to see if and when the fin begins to heal?

I took the ceramic beads out of the filter and put them into a glass of tank water, but without food and water flow the bacteria in them are going to start dying off. How long can they hold on?

So many questions, I know!
    Aquarium: 2.5 gallon glass, mesh lid, Hydor mini heater, Whisper 3i filter
    Water: BettaSafe water conditioner, Nutrafin Plant Gro, 0.25 tsp/gal aquarium salt, temp 78-80F, pH 7.2, ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 5-20ppm
    Living creatures: Java ferns rooted on driftwood, several small trumpet snails, male veiltail betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Welcome to the board! - Mith   Thanks for speaking your mind even though you are new - William   Congrats on the awards! - Jaster   Thanks! Heres on for you too :) - iZinedane   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cathy_n
    What should I expect to see if and when the fin begins to heal?

I took the ceramic beads out of the filter and put them into a glass of tank water, but without food and water flow the bacteria in them are going to start dying off. How long can they hold on?
    Sounds like you have taken good care of him!...When the edges look clear or have a whitish appearance, that usually means that it is healing. Your betta biting his tail may prolong the healing and possibly cause another infection. Perhaps he has been biting his tail for some time.

If you took out the ceramic beads because you thought the meds. might kill off the bacteria, I personally would have left them in there. Supposedly Maracyn 1 & 11 if used as directed will not harm the beneficial bacteria, although with any anti-bacterial meds. there is always a chance of it causing a mini cycle...you can always use a bacterial booster to help re-establish the bacteria.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Embers
    Sounds like you have taken good care of him!...When the edges look clear or have a whitish appearance, that usually means that it is healing. Your betta biting his tail may prolong the healing and possibly cause another infection. Perhaps he has been biting his tail for some time.

If you took out the ceramic beads because you thought the meds. might kill off the bacteria, I personally would have left them in there. Supposedly Maracyn 1 & 11 if used as directed will not harm the beneficial bacteria, although with any anti-bacterial meds. there is always a chance of it causing a mini cycle...you can always use a bacterial booster to help re-establish the bacteria.
    Thank you, Little Embers!

I think I will put the beads back in the filter. You're right that I can go to my specialty fish shop and buy some really good bacterial boosters after I finish this course of antibiotics.

Today, the rotting border along the edges of his tail appears to be half the width it was yesterday. With any luck, the discoloration will disappear soon and be replaced by what you described. Thank you again!
    Water: BettaSafe water conditioner, Nutrafin Plant Gro, 0.25 tsp/gal aquarium salt, temp 78-80F, pH 7.2, ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 5-20ppm
    Living creatures: Java ferns rooted on driftwood, several small trumpet snails, male veiltail betta

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    When the tail is healed ;)
    you should stop the use of aquarium salt,
    i know it's a fallacy to claim some thing is true because experts say so, but experts say aquarium salt is a hoax, and I've been fine with out it =)
    Death Is A Once In A life Time Experience.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by red eyes
    When the tail is healed ;)
    you should stop the use of aquarium salt,
    i know it's a fallacy to claim some thing is true because experts say so, but experts say aquarium salt is a hoax, and I've been fine with out it =)
    By now the fish and the plants are used to the salt, so changing it would probably be more trouble than continuing. Where did you read that it was a hoax? I'd be curious to learn more.

On a different note, the edges of his tail fin are no longer ragged. They are a different color, but the edges have become straight as the little gaps are filling in. It will be quite some time before his tail fin is anything like its original length, but he is perky and active and building bubble nests. I think he's going to live!

He is an amazing fish, truly. He survived 14 days in a hospital bowl with Ich right after I got him, now he's recovering from a case of fast fin rot approximately a year later. I've seen other people's fish go from slightly sick to dead in just a few days, so I count my lucky stars that he seems to be so resilient.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your guppys for the people project! - Fraoch   You needed a gift! - Agassizii   Congrats on your award. - Brookfish   For the hot weather - fraggle   Have another - Agassizii   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ranubis89   

0 Not allowed!
    Actually theres a huge right up on here about it. I will try to find it for you. If not you can try to search for it:) Hope your betta heals quickly and good work on taking care of him Sounds like you 2 are good for each other
    "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." -Albert Einstein

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Welcome to the board! - Mith   Thanks for speaking your mind even though you are new - William   Congrats on the awards! - Jaster   Thanks! Heres on for you too :) - iZinedane   

0 Not allowed!
    I think this might be the article that ranubis is referring too; written by ILuvMyGoldBarb.....excellent article which may help you understand why salt isn't needed or recommended for freshwater fish and can do more harm than good in the long term.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=31554

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Embers
    I think this might be the article that ranubis is referring too; written by ILuvMyGoldBarb.....excellent article which may help you understand why salt isn't needed or recommended for freshwater fish and can do more harm than good in the long term.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=31554
    Thanks again, Embers! I'm pondering phasing out the salt now.

News: His tail's growing back in. It seems that his previously blue tail is coming back in... red! Or at least patches of it are. Should be interesting to see the final result.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My pleasure cathy....so glad to hear he is on the mend . The tail may not grow back as long as it was originally.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Most of us, if not all of us, do not use salt. I, for example, have 13 very healthy tanks and I never use salt. Unnecessary in a healthy tank. The only reason to use salt would be to help treat an infection.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.