· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC ! - Northernguy   

Default Help with stubborn Cyanobacteria

0 Not allowed!
    I am having a severe problem with cyanobacteria in my 3 gallon betta tank. The tank is fully cycled and has been running for 18 months. It has a 6w T5 light that is on for 10 hours a day. I have 3 java ferns and a sand substrate in the tank. I change 1/3 of the water once or twice a week, depending on how busy I am at work where the tank resides.

The past 3 months I have been fighting a losing battle with cyanobacteria. Here are the things I have tried so far:

Complete blackout for 7 days
    Increase photo period to 14 hours (from Dave's primer)
    Siphoning out all the gunk on every water change.
    Complete substrate replacement.

Nothing has worked and the cyanobacteria just keeps coming back and covering everything in the tank. Any other suggestions? I have been reluctant to try it, but maybe I shuld get some antibiotics? I am really close to tearing the tank down entirely because it is so disgusting.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your tank because you've been so patient with cycling - mommy1   Chill out with a beer after the longest fishless cycle ever!  You deserve it! - Fraoch   Congrats on the cycle!  Another little fish for a little tank! - Sir Tristen   Angel for your g/f, good luck keeping the 55! lol - Jaster   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Try getting a syringe and shooting it with hydrogen peroxide. Use a max of 3mL per gallon.
    Leave it for an hour without any current in the tank (no filter, no powerhead) and then turn everything back on. Leave the lights on tho.

Worked for my algae and thanks to PostalPenguin for that advice
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awesome responce to the severum thread! - The Red Severum   Great poster. - mac   Thanks - Northernguy   Thanks! - LadyHatred   Thought you would like this. - fishbum   

0 Not allowed!
    Try Phos-guard or a similar product
    -Dr. James

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Antibiotics - eurythromicyn or Maracyn 2 will kill it. It may kill you bio filter as well so be careful. If it does not work the first time try a second course. If the second course does not work the you have antibiotic resistant cyano and you will need to go to another method.

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy   For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz   have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab   ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum   Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley   

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by robflanker
    Try getting a syringe and shooting it with hydrogen peroxide. Use a max of 3mL per gallon.
    Leave it for an hour without any current in the tank (no filter, no powerhead) and then turn everything back on. Leave the lights on tho.

Worked for my algae and thanks to PostalPenguin for that advice
    I don't think Hydrogen peroxide works on cyanobacteria... It is mainly used for hair (or bba) algae...

To treat stubborn cyanobacteria, you could use erythromicine or another antibiotic... but make sure your filter is off, so you don't kill your biofilter too!
    By Alfredo Franco-Cea
    30 gallon tank -- low light -- tannin stained water
    FAUNA: 7 zebra danios; 5 neon tetras; one male green swordtail; 2 female adult platies (plus fry); 6 bleeding heart tetras; 6 false rummy nose tetras
    FLORA: Anubias, Java Moss, Ceratophyllum, Java Fern, WindelÝv's Fern

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

RAK - DemonShark   CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs   for new bed - Lady Hobbs   for new wife - Lady Hobbs   to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rich311k
    Antibiotics - eurythromicyn or Maracyn 2 will kill it. It may kill you bio filter as well so be careful. If it does not work the first time try a second course. If the second course does not work the you have antibiotic resistant cyano and you will need to go to another method.

Worked for me
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! Well done too! lol - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I tell ya, UltraLife Blue Green Algae Remover works like a charm. Cyano was taking over my tank and with 1 dose, it's never come back. It's not an antibiotic so it doesnt harm the filter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

LadyHobbs - Lady Hobbs   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   For your great pieces of advice! - Alfcea   Flounder! - jaysee   Thank you for the help on the plants! - angc84   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfcea
    I don't think Hydrogen peroxide works on cyanobacteria... It is mainly used for hair (or bba) algae...

To treat stubborn cyanobacteria, you could use erythromicine or another antibiotic... but make sure your filter is off, so you don't kill your biofilter too!
    I think it would work. Peroxide is a potent disinfectant, its used to treat cuts and scrapes on humans so it should impact the cyanobacteria. I have never tried it on cyano so I cannot say for sure but I would assume it works.

I have found peroxide to be one of the best aquarium treatments, it has killed every type of algae I have come across(BBA, green dust, green spot, hair, staghorn) without damaging a single plant or killing a fish.

Try peroxide Kadina and if it works, let us know.

If it doesn't erythromycin will wipe it out. But make sure to monitor your ammonia and nitrites since it may harm your filter.

And here is a great site for algae: http://www.guitarfish.org/algae It prescribes peroxide treatment to treat cyanobacteria.
    55g: Future home of a green terror and 2 convicts
    29g: Convicts, tiger barbs, corys, snails
    29g: 3 fancy goldfish
    5g: Betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your generosity! - Sir Tristen   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Because your cool :) LOL - lovleeko   Thought you could use some good algae. Is there such a thing. LOL - lovleeko   stocking Rams - Algenco   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - bushwhacker   

0 Not allowed!
    i tried everything in my 55 to kill bga. had to get maracyn (erithromicin) did 1/2 doses for about 5 days a week later it showed up again i did one more dose and its not come back ... it did kill my cycle and i lost some fish but the tanks been stable since
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
    RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.