· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Floating Plants for Discus Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there,

What floating plants would you suggest for a 70 gallon discus tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

just felt like celebrating today. - gabbyguppy   thanks for the plants - mommy1   Congrats on the new cube tank! - Pleco380   GRRR back at you - mommy1   Thanks for all the plants! - Lab_Rat   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jacko   

0 Not allowed!
    Dwarf water lettuce is great, so is amazon frogbit, both have low leaves so you don't have to worry about lowering the water level to give the plants space (if you do want to do this, look at water hyacinths, they're black roots look awesome near discus).

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! Thanks for the quick reply Jacko! I Googled the plants you wrote about and am interested in putting a few in my tank.

Cheers.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

just felt like celebrating today. - gabbyguppy   thanks for the plants - mommy1   Congrats on the new cube tank! - Pleco380   GRRR back at you - mommy1   Thanks for all the plants! - Lab_Rat   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jacko   

0 Not allowed!
    No problem lol

I thought of a couple others that might work, salvinia or duckweed but they're more of a weed than a floating plant IMO lol, I still have them both though. I've also got dwarf lettuce... incredibly easy to grow and multiplies very fast.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats!!!!! - Gayle   Congrats on your degree! - fins_n_fur   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah. Jacko is right on with this one.

My frogbit has been great. I need to throw about 1 bucket every month it grows so fast. Depending on the tank the roots can get anywhere from 1in to 10inches.....

I've also had water hyacinths in my old 110g tank. They definitely get tall above the water so if space is limited you might not want these. But their roots looked pretty sweet.

There are a few other floaters that are kinda like frogbit but i know nothing about them and haven't had them so i don't know. Red root rooter? something like that may be one i always wanted.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your tank because you've been so patient with cycling - mommy1   Chill out with a beer after the longest fishless cycle ever!  You deserve it! - Fraoch   Congrats on the cycle!  Another little fish for a little tank! - Sir Tristen   Angel for your g/f, good luck keeping the 55! lol - Jaster   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Winipeg - didnt I read another thread about you not having enough light?

You might want to hold off on floating plants as this will just reduce your light more
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice! Yes, you did read another thread about me not having enough light, but I am looking into purchasing more light once I can figure out what will work best for my 68 gallon 24'' deep tank. The advice from another forum member was to upgrade the lighting first and then get some floaters to give the discus areas of shade. So I be looking into a new T5 HO setup to add to my existing before doing anything.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your tank because you've been so patient with cycling - mommy1   Chill out with a beer after the longest fishless cycle ever!  You deserve it! - Fraoch   Congrats on the cycle!  Another little fish for a little tank! - Sir Tristen   Angel for your g/f, good luck keeping the 55! lol - Jaster   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    ah ok just clarifying
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have water lettuce and hyacinth both floating in my tank... looks great and the fish love 'em.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!