· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Getting started

Hybrid View

1. Default Getting started

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everybody! I'll start with the fact that I do not know much, but have been interested in hydroponics but have never ventured there. Read a lot about Tilapia and all of the sudden I have 20-30 of them. My basic plan is an indoor aquarium, since Tilapia are tropical, and an outdoor 1200 gallon pond to grow fish out over the summer. I have not added any gravel grow beds at all, but i thought i would start inside in my three season porch, using aquarium water and scale the process up with the outdoor pond next Spring. Everybody loves pictures, so here are a few of my building blocks to a future system.

Porch and aquariums. This is a 75 gallon tank shown.

The stars of the show are some Blue Tilapia. I found a great source but only had 1 day notice of delivery. I threw the fish in a 125 gallon Koi pond next to our patio. I have 25-30 2-4" fish.

Here is my 1200 gallon pond. I recently added a 1250 gph pump and a 3000 gallon pressurized filter. There are a few gold fish in it and 3 tilapia I managed to catch. ( They are really fast and know what nets are)

I am trying to learn as I go here and would like to document the process. In the porch by the way I have 400 watt Metal Halide and sodium vapor lights in a failed attempt last year to grow tomatoes and peppers during the winter. It ended up as bugs defeated my efforts not light or nutrients. This winter some aquaponics would make things interesting.
    Last edited by Hautions11; 07-19-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    It looks a sounds interesting.
    Your tank will need a better stand before you fill it.The foot print of that tank will need support all the way around.Your tank will weigh approx! 750lbs full!
    Here is a link with some info for you!
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/tilapia/history.php
    Last edited by Northernguy; 07-19-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the award - Brookfish Thanks for the rep :-) - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas! - The Red Severum merry christmas - mommy1 Seasons greetings have a great christmas - Celtic Fins 
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat Happy Holidays! - King Tut Merry Christmas! - rich311k Wishing You A Very Happy New Year!!! - Jill Happy New year. - Celtic Fins 
    Happy New Year to the forum 'funny' guy. AKA...MR. NYLONS. - gabbyguppy Congratulations on your rep star - Celtic Fins Another round for my friends - mommy1 Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1 After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 
    Hope you are well man - robflanker Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy Birthday - mommy1 Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster 

0 Not allowed!
    Beat me to it NG. lol There are a few nice and cheap DIY stands that look great. (if you care about the looks...lol)

Sounds very interesting though! Keep us posted!

4. Default Stand

0 Not allowed!
    That is the only reason the tank is not full yet! The stand the guy had would not fit in my car. The van is in the shop and I can not fill it until I get the stand. It is driving me crazy. Thanks for the input guys.

Awards Showcase

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy Right on. - Wild Turkey Congrats on your award! - Brookfish you need more gifts! - The Red Severum 
    I hope your nose is okay! :) - invadertoast Thanks for the PM - William Official Muskateer Symbol - The Red Severum BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum FUNNIEST POSTER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum 
    thanks - mommy1 MAFIA 2.0 Thanks for playing! - The Red Severum Kaz: Supreme Predictor - robflanker congratulations for your awards - mommy1 thanks for the game - mommy1 
    Fun game! - KingFisher I just won the lottery! - Lab_Rat Have a pig - Agassizii for being a good guy - The Red Severum congratulations! - KingFisher 

0 Not allowed!
    So what happens to the tilapia in the winter?
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In the winter they have to come inside or create some habitat in the pond. I am going to try a plywood insulated bax in the pond to see if I can save 20-50 fish over the winter. I have a 100 gallon stock tank to put some in in the basement, but i want to try the heated box in the pond to tied some over. It should be an interesting experiment.