· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For looking after your horse! - Rue   this is the best i could do :) - karbomb   Good work! - Northernguy   Just for being you! - Mith   One for your Troup! - Brookfish   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Owlbehere   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Owlbehere   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Owlbehere   

Default Questions about rhizome plants

0 Not allowed!
    I have now some anubias and java ferns in my tank.

Anubia: The anubia came in pots and labeled Anubia Spp. I don't know what they are but I di know the name anubia lol. Anyway I didn't see a rhizome. Just small roots coming off. I slightly buried them, just enough for them not to float away but I guess when I get home from work I should tie them to something instead? I know they prefer that I just didn't have anything, I might pick up some decorative rocks today when at work. Will the stick to semi polished/polished ones?

Java fern:
    My java fern is developing roots on the leaves and sending out new leaves where it is shooting the roots out?!? So there is a leaf growing roots and leaves itself. Normal?
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first gift - Dave66   Have a puffer fish - Celtic Fins   You need one of these too - Celtic Fins   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlbehere

Java fern:
    My java fern is developing roots on the leaves and sending out new leaves where it is shooting the roots out?!? So there is a leaf growing roots and leaves itself. Normal?
    I believe that's how Java Ferns reproduce.
    36 gallon bowfront - "Hector" the Dwarf Gourami, 3 Peppered Corydoras, "Big Eric" the Rubberlip Pleco, "Killwillie" the German Blue Ram, and 9 Rummynose Tetras, 1 true Siamese Algae Eater

20 gallon long; Planted & Aquascaped (Dwarf Hairgrass, Scarlet Temple, Lace Java Fern, Red Ludwigia) - Female German Blue Ram, 4 Oto's, 11 Neon Tetras

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

time for some gifts - Lady Hobbs   fish for your new tank - Lady Hobbs   more - Lady Hobbs   Congratulations on cycling! - fins_n_fur   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, the leaves and roots are called daughter plants. You have new java ferns growing. You can take them off when they have developed some nice leaves and roots. The longer you leave them on the better.
    75 Gallon Malawi

35 Gallon Juvie Demasoni

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    the anubis roots will adhere much better to rocks with jagged edges and nooks and crannys,wood is even better.Tie them to whatever you choose using black or green cotton thread.Done this way you will not have to remove the ties later,they will simply degrade and be mostly invisible till they do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy halloween! - Tigerbarb   I hope you are feeling better - KingFisher   Thanks for leaving a message on my blog xxx - Fishalicious   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Happy Holidays! - fins_n_fur   

0 Not allowed!
    the java fern daughter plants will pull off of the main leaf they are growing form really easily. You can then take those plants and replant them wherever you like. I usually rubberband a few of the small daughter plants all on one rock for about a month and then take the rubberband off and they are attacheded to the rock by then. Like was said before, the anubias will grow better with its roots out of the sand or gravel.
    55g- blood parrots, SAE, bristlenose plecos
    75G-oscar

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For looking after your horse! - Rue   this is the best i could do :) - karbomb   Good work! - Northernguy   Just for being you! - Mith   One for your Troup! - Brookfish   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Owlbehere   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Owlbehere   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Owlbehere   

0 Not allowed!
    Okay I might find a new configuration for this middle drift wood and attach the anubia to it. Wow I have reproducing Java ferns so soon! Nice!

Thanks everyone greatly appreciated!
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community