· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Trying to slow growth and keeping them in tanks not suitable to substrain growth ends up with stunted fish. They will not wait for us to find them a suitable home. You need to find him a pond this spring so he can live as he should.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Trying to slow growth and keeping them in tanks not suitable to substrain growth ends up with stunted fish. They will not wait for us to find them a suitable home. You need to find him a pond this spring so he can live as he should.
    That sucks he is the whoile reason i got into the aquarium thing in the first place

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So in a 55 gallon tank without a heater very roughly how long does it takeis a young common to grow an inch or so? Very rough estimate would be interesting, but I realise possibly not possible.

4. Default too many goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    I agree that you should keep one goldfish in nothing smaller than a 150 gallon tank or small pond Too many goldies live miserable lives in cramped quarters. Be prepared to use plenty of filtration and lots of water changes if you decide to go against this conventional wisdom. I had a quarter-sized goldfish which grew to be 10 inches long and 10 inches in girth I only had a high 20 gallon tank and eventually she succumbed to septicemia She was 12 years old but eventually the limited quarter did her in....
    gpb

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    how long did it take to grow that large?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The reason i ask is i'm moving in about a year and once i do that i will have the room for a bigger tank.I plan on getting something around the 125+ size tank.So for now theyhave to stay in the 29 gallon cause of room restraints.
    I do water changes every 4 days to keep the nitrites in check.They are very active and appear healthy.Sometimes i don't think i feed them enough cause they are always searching for food,but i don't feed them alot to keep the ammonia and waste down.
    So i'm hopeing they will be ok for a few more monthes!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia and nitrites should always be O. If the tank is cycled, then that's where it will always be "unless" the filter is cleaned too much and good bacteria has been removed causing a mini spike.

I know your heart is in the right place but honestly, sometimes with our best intentions, we just don't get the size tank we really should have when it's needed. Either the money is not there when you need it, the time isn't right or the space is not available. You should never get a fish hoping you will someday have the right tank for them. Not only is the fish unhappy but it adds stress to you knowing you have to have a bigger tank but can't afford one right now.

If your fish has grown to 6" in one year, he probably would have grown to 10" had he had a larger tank or a pond. IMO, since you don't know for sure when you will be moving and think it might be "about" a year, I would find him a home now. Expecting him to stay the same size for another year or more is not realistic.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great post. Thanks alot!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    how big do panda goldfish get?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One (or 2) nitpicky comment(s)...

Not all calico goldies are Shubunkins.... That should read Shubunkins and beside it (calico comets).... 'Cause Shubunkins are just that, calico Comets. Also, it should be noted that the sizes quoted here are for the body of the fish only, not factoring in huge tails and such. Most people don't realize that, so there should be something in there about that.

Might want to add Koi to this list, too, as many people assume Koi are Goldies and Goldies are Koi and often buy Koi with the size reference for Goldies in mind.

Just my 2.
    Come visit Goldie Haven to see Goldfish & live plants thriving together in harmony =)
    ~ Updated November 14, 2012 ~