· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranchu fry

1. Default Ranchu fry

1 Not allowed!
    Hi ~ I am a novice with ranchu! A friend who raises koi and a variety of goldfish gave me about 12-15 ranchu fry for an outdoor decorative pot. They are tiny~ after nearly two months they are almost 2cms in length ~ so they must have been very young when I got them. My friend has given me several other goldfish over the years and thinking these were the same I have been feeding them Tetra Goldfish Pro. They are also quite fond of the roots of a pond plant(and they are hearty eaters). After I began reading about ranchu I realized the value of them ~ they are not the goldfish which are sold in summer here for 29 Yen!!! They are now in an aquarium with a plecostomus and they seem to enjoy his Tetra 2-1 round discs as well. But I know they should be eating specific food and perhaps someone might have some suggestions for a novice! They are still greyish in color but I can see a slight change on the larger ones. The bottom of the tank is covered with smooth round glass globs because I had a goldfish loose an eye on gravel when they were racing about ~ so a tad paranoid about anything sharp now! Looking forward to having some advice so my wee ones will become healthy happy ranchu!! P.S. This is the first time I have ever joined a forum!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello , welcome aboard. I hope you will enjoy the forum.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC. You've chosen a terrific forum as your first.

Southern Ohio

Awards Showcase

Here comes the holiday swine, who hopes your holidays were divine! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thank you! Second round is on me : ) - mommy1 
    Thanks for spicing up the ban game! - pRED Merry Christmas! - mommy1 And a happy new year !!! - Cliff Season's Greetings! - Rue Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228 Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228 Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228 
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - gadget228 Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - gadget228 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gadget228 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC...
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

0 Not allowed!
    This is a good place to come! I know there are some very knowledgeable goldfish people here.

7. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget228 View Post
    Welcome to the AC...
    I am not only new with raising ranchu~ I am also new at posting in a forum so I am not sure if I am going about it in the right way (hopefully it is okay :) do I reply to individual posts or does it go to the whole thread?

........thanks for the welcome

~as for rocking chairs and roller coasters ~ I always thought my golden years would be great ~ so why do I feel more like a rusty gate eh!

As a retired ex-pat living in Japan and not being fluent it is tough to ask for advice at the pet shops!!! So I am glad for a place where information is available. I did find someplace in this website that I could feed my ranchu cucumbers and lettuce ~ so I tried a little cucumber yesterday and they really seemed to like it! Can I also feed them the soft inside part of cooked green peas like with regular goldfish?

2 Not allowed!
    Welcone to the AC, you may want to start a journal about your ranchu fry, as this section is for basic introductions.

Ranchu, like other goldfish love a varied diet and vegetables and aquatic plants are part of that. They are omnivores though and need protein as well. I am not sure what types of food you can get as I am sure they will differ from what we have her in the states. Whichever food you go with, make sure it is a sinking form and not floating as fancy goldfish can ingest air if they are scavenging off the surface of the tank and this will affect their swim bladder and can be fatal in severe cases. Also a work of caution when housing goldfish and plecos. Goldfish secrete a very thick slime coat and your pleco will be attracted to that and even well fed, one morning you will wake up to damaged fins and lesions on your goldfish that are mysterious-but are actually from the pleco aggressively sucking on your goldfish. Plecos also need slightly warmer waters than goldfish do-though ranchus can be lept in warmer waters-it will increase their metabolisms and ultimately shorten their lifespans.

I was reading a few different ranchu forums here and they mentioned "highranchu" a couple times. Have you tried the foods he has on his site (Azayaka)? I like that they vary the diet based on their age and mention that the younger ranchu need higher protein versus older ranchu:
    75g- Tetra, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp only tanks with Bloody Mary and Blue Dream shrimp
    20L- Boraras rasbora, Kuhli loach
    20L- Blue Pearl/blue dream shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Ember tetras and CPD

Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    Future 40B Goldfish tank
    Probiotic trial

1 Not allowed!
    Hi Avalon,

Regarding your question about posts, you can do it whichever way you wish -- Either reply to a particular post with a quote, as you've done above, or you may reply as a post directed to the entire group of responders on your thread. Hopefully that answered your question. If I misunderstood your question, please feel free to ask it again.

Regarding gathering specific advice about your goldfish, you may wish to start a new thread further down in the Forum. There is a section for 'Food' topics, and also one for 'Cold Water Fish', both are found under the "Other Aquarium Topics' header, further down in the Forum.

Many members also enjoy starting a journal.

Both methods of posting a new thread will help you find answers to your specific questions faster than here in the 'Introduce Yourself' section.

I'm glad you found us, and hope to see you about the Forum.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi RiversGirl~ thanks so much for your post~ it was very helpful and I appreciate it greatly!