· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: New Rainbows!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

everyone should have a gift :-) - mitcore   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

Talking New Rainbows!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, I have not been on AC for a awhile, But you guys probably heard from AAbatteries that we went to a fish show. I was at the fish auction and won some floating plants for $1, 3 cory cats for $6, a betta for $2, and 5 rainbows for $17!!! I am so happy!! and in the raffle I won 500ft. of airline tubing.

I also have some questions about the rainbows....
    How do you tell if they are male or female?
    Will they do good with 1 angelfish?
    Can I have 5 together?
    I fishies!

Tanks
    10g - Planted, a betta, 3 baby rainbows, and 3 high fin cory cats

29g - Angelfish, 2 ottos, 4 cory cats, 6 cardinal tetras, 1 snail, 2 rainbows, and 4 gold tetras

46g(hex) - 1 African Ciclids

50g - 2 snake skin gouramies, 2 black neon tetras, 4 blue tetras, 3 blood fin tetras, 5 serpae tetras,2 other tetras I don't know the name of, 3 black skirt tetras, and 3 cory cats

2.5g(hex) - Planted, no fish

AABatteries is my brother

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Guts  !!!!! - Algenco   good job on the video - Jaster   nice angels - KingFisher   Awesome angels! - domjd05   No Message - AquaLene   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceBison
    I also have some questions about the rainbows....
    How do you tell if they are male or female?
    Will they do good with 1 angelfish?
    Can I have 5 together?
    Congrats on your new acquisitions. You can never have enough shoes, hats and airline! LOL

Regarding rainbows. What species are they? In the case of 'most rainbows' males will be more colourful while females will have a duller, if not grey, appearance. Males will get a white stripe down their foreheads during mating. Males are generally bigger and 'taller' than the females, and a lot more energetic. But like I say, give us the species and I can help more.

Dwarf Neons? Boesmani? Yellows? Parkinson's?
    The Metaphysics of Quality would show how things become enormously more coherent--fabulously more coherent--when you start with an assumption that Quality is the primary empirical reality of the world....
    ...but showing that, of course, was a very big job...."

An Inquiry into Morals

- Robert M. Pirsig

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Good rule of thumb, is to see by color. Most rainbows are easy to tell by just by that, with males always being colorful. What type?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed a gift! - Agassizii   Thanks - Celtic Fins   and another one - Celtic Fins   Great tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Re the colour, that is age dependant....ie when there colour has not developed enough to see a differentiation In that case it is generally by body shape...for example I know my Boisies and Salmon's... the male has a higher body where as the females is more elongated... well its worked for me so far :-O
    Paul

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Holiday Ham comes ones a year... to bring you a pig size share of holiday cheer! - Trillianne   

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations on the rainbows!

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

everyone should have a gift :-) - mitcore   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    ok, I'm pretty sure that they are millenniums. I also found out that I have 3 males and 2 females, so I got that down. I also figured out that the males have like pointed tales, and the females have like flat/straight tales. And thanks for the info everyone.

I have another question.
    I feed my rainbows flake food and Hikari micro pellets, is that good? because they eat it.
    I fishies!

Tanks
    10g - Planted, a betta, 3 baby rainbows, and 3 high fin cory cats

29g - Angelfish, 2 ottos, 4 cory cats, 6 cardinal tetras, 1 snail, 2 rainbows, and 4 gold tetras

46g(hex) - 1 African Ciclids

50g - 2 snake skin gouramies, 2 black neon tetras, 4 blue tetras, 3 blood fin tetras, 5 serpae tetras,2 other tetras I don't know the name of, 3 black skirt tetras, and 3 cory cats

2.5g(hex) - Planted, no fish

AABatteries is my brother

Latest gifts & ribbons:

u need one to start :-) - Neon   Now you have  pair! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    They will be fine with an Angelfish. I have 2 females and 2 male Dwarf Neon rainbows and they are with 1 lg. angelfish, they school around wuth 6 harleqen rasboras, 8 glo-light tetras, 2 gold dust mollies, 1 bushy nose pleco in a planted 55 gal. tank with a sand bottom. I have had no problems with my rainbows in that tank. They are pigs and will eat tropical fish flakes or whatever I put in the tank. I only feed my fish once a day.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on your new acquisitions.

As for the food I see nothing wrong with it. Mine get fed very similarly.

mac

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Guts  !!!!! - Algenco   good job on the video - Jaster   nice angels - KingFisher   Awesome angels! - domjd05   No Message - AquaLene   

0 Not allowed!
    Just something to remember with Rainbows:

Although they have proportionately large mouths, their Oesophagal (food) pipe is very narrow, which means you should finely crush food for them. You'll avoid unwanted blockages (and deaths) by making the food smaller.
    The Metaphysics of Quality would show how things become enormously more coherent--fabulously more coherent--when you start with an assumption that Quality is the primary empirical reality of the world....
    ...but showing that, of course, was a very big job...."

An Inquiry into Morals

- Robert M. Pirsig