· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: 55 gallon setup

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To start your collection :D - Xavier   Just because - FishyPastor   My favorite - FishyPastor   I like discus - FishyPastor   No Message - FishyPastor   

Default 55 gallon setup

0 Not allowed!
    I received a 55 gallon with everything for free. On moving the tank the prviopus owner wassked all the gravel ( don't know why) and it was a pretty much like a new setup. Got it moved gravel water etc in place. It even came with a family of Jack Dempsey's. This was about four weeks ago.
    Two weeks ago I trade the Jacks for African Kenyi cichlids bredding pair and two other kenyi's. I was also given three fairy cichlids one inch in size.
    The male Kenyi is ver dominate. I have been doing water chnages every two days no every four days. PH is 7.2 temp 78F, Still is having high nitartes at .5. So will continue to change water until resolved.
    I added six more fish a jewel, Black Lace cat, pleco, Ahi, and two male and female auratus, So far my Ahi died got it replaced and the second one died as well, due to unknown reasons. everyone else is fine. I am not sure why it died and the male Kenyi keeps everyone to the right of the tank except the pleco, auratus and catfish. The female kenyi seems not to be doing well right now. Also all the fish get spooked real easy, the tabk is near the entrance to the home. ????
    ??????????

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the info. I guess I should've checked wikipedia. - Friendly   thank you for all your help - pinchyboy   

0 Not allowed!
    when you say Ahi you mean yellowfin tuna right? those things get too big for your tank.
    b)i think your tank is still cycling. your on the right track with the water changes
    c) if i'm not mistaken fairy cichlids shouldn't be placed with those other aggresive cichlids. so you should probably return them or get another tank.
    d) they probably get spooked easily because they arn't used to the tank yet.
    the kenyi is very dominate b/c that's his nature, they are aggressive fish
    e) do you have plants and other decorations for the other fish to hide in and form terriorties? that will probably help with the male kenyi issue.
    f) your kenyi and auratus cichlids are from the same lake which is why they don't have an issue with eachother, however your fairy cichlid is from a different lake and so that's why your having issues. it's best to keep cichlids from the same lake. same goes for the jewel.
    g) i don't mean to be offensive when i say any of these things. also have you done research about the fish your keeping and etc,?
    currently:20 gallon tank with:
    3 african dwarf frogs
    1 bristlenose pleco
    7 swordtails
    4 hengli rasbora
    1 platy

ac50filter
    aqueon quietflow 20 filter.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having so many tanks :) - NanoTankGuy   For being a good teacher and helping to educate me! - chel   They didn't have any platys so I got you a pleco! lol - Northernguy   For you mate. - mac   Thanks for all your help and input regarding setting up my 55 gallon!!! - emilyekk   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dancethenparty
    when you say Ahi you mean yellowfin tuna right? those things get too big for your tank.
    HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA Talk about a tank buster!

I saw a 60 lb yellowfin tuna the other day.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your tank because you've been so patient with cycling - mommy1   Chill out with a beer after the longest fishless cycle ever!  You deserve it! - Fraoch   Congrats on the cycle!  Another little fish for a little tank! - Sir Tristen   Angel for your g/f, good luck keeping the 55! lol - Jaster   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    i hope it god its not ahi tuna and this is a typo...
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having so many tanks :) - NanoTankGuy   For being a good teacher and helping to educate me! - chel   They didn't have any platys so I got you a pleco! lol - Northernguy   For you mate. - mac   Thanks for all your help and input regarding setting up my 55 gallon!!! - emilyekk   

0 Not allowed!
    The tuna is dying because it's a saltwater fish
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your tank because you've been so patient with cycling - mommy1   Chill out with a beer after the longest fishless cycle ever!  You deserve it! - Fraoch   Congrats on the cycle!  Another little fish for a little tank! - Sir Tristen   Angel for your g/f, good luck keeping the 55! lol - Jaster   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    or because its like a beached whale in any tank lol
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II