· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have Fry!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Talking I have Fry!

0 Not allowed!
    I have had 3 jewel cichlids in a 30g. for about a month now. Two have paired up and tried to breed a few weeks ago. Eariler this weekend they laid eggs and the male did his thing. I thought they had eaten the eggs like they did a few weeks ago, but to my surprise I saw about a million fry tonight!

Here is a pic of the female. She is beautiful. I just set up a 40g that I had decided to put Florida Flagfish in, but now I may decide to wait until the fry are big enough to move, and raise them in the 40g. until they are old enough to sell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the fry. She is a pretty fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    Lovely lady Jewel. Congratulations on the successful spawn!

Dave

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   Thanks for profiles - William   Profiles and being generally awesome. - William   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Oscar_freak12321   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the fry!
    the statement below is false
    the statement above is true
    which one is true?
    Got a small tank? Check out Fishalicious' small fish list! http://fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com...-for-nano.html
    Got a big fish you just can't handle? Check out Monster Fish Rescue! http://www.monsterfishrescue.com/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Anyone that had a trio of angels deserves a gift. - Brookfish   Thanks for all the help in PM - Taurus   Great pic! - Brookfish   You need a bigger school of angels! lol - Northernguy   Heres a neon for your tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Great looking fish! Good luck with the fry!
    75G Planted Blue Themed Community Tank:
    Neon Tetras, Blue Platties, Blue Guppies, Blue Snails, & a pleco
    with 4 hang off breeder tanks for Blue/Red Platty Project

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Once the fry are free-swimming you can siphon some out to another tank, or use a divider in the spawning tank to separate them.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Holiday Ham comes ones a year... to bring you a pig size share of holiday cheer! - Trillianne   

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations! nice looking fish. Enjoy the fry and good luck with them.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Updated pictures

0 Not allowed!
    Here are two pictures I just took of the jewel fry. Sorry if they are hard to see. So far mom and dad are being great parents. If one of the babies gets too far away they will go suck it up and spit it out in the middle of the other babies. They are keeping to their side of the tank and when the other jewel comes near they just shoo it away.

Pic 1

Pic 2

I have decided to move these little guys to my new 40g. instead of getting flagfish. However, the 40g. is a SeaClear System II and there is no way to turn down the rate of flow on the filtration. I don't know when these little guys would be big enough to withstand the pull of the filter.

Would they stay clear of the intake on their own, or would I need to partition it off in some way to keep them clear of it?

I have never really dealt with raising fry before so this is all new to me. I would like to keep them until they are big enough to sell. Obviously it would be impossible to keep all of them in a 40g for ever.

What do you think I should do about the filter in the 40g, and when would they be old enough to move from mom and dad? Also, would it stress mom and dad out very much for their babies to disappear?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here you go - KingFisher   here is one :) - The Red Severum   thank you - Lady Hobbs   BECAUSE YOUR COOL - waterhog   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Congragulations!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first fish - Lady Hobbs   A gift to my mates. - mac   Did you say tankards?  LOL - sandy_n   To your first almost cycled tank - Lady Hobbs   No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations on the fry! Aren't they FUN! My little guys are gowing nicely... good luck with yours! Sounds like you have good parents in there looking after them!