· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Howdy neighbor - Algenco   

Default growth rate for Bala and Rainbow Sharks?

0 Not allowed!
    i have 3 new Bala Sharks and 1 new Rainbow Shark. they are all doing great but i am just curious as to how fast and how much i can expect them to grow. right now they are all about 3" long, maybe a little bit less.

they are in a 55 gallon tank with a half dozen tiger barbs. the water is kept at around 78 degrees and i do water changes about every 7-10 days.

so far i have two types of food i have been feeding them, Tetramin Tropical Flakes and Top Fin Shrimp Pellets.

thanks for the help.
    75 Gallon Malawi Tank
    adult male Peacoks/Haps w/ a few Mbuna,
    Rainbow Shark, Syndontis Cats & a Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having so many tanks :) - NanoTankGuy   For being a good teacher and helping to educate me! - chel   They didn't have any platys so I got you a pleco! lol - Northernguy   For you mate. - mac   Thanks for all your help and input regarding setting up my 55 gallon!!! - emilyekk   

0 Not allowed!
    I've never tried to keep them so I don't really know, but I'll guess the 3 inch fish will be 6 inches in.....9 months.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Winner of my drunken thread, sorry :) - Marty   You needed a gift! - Agassizii   Thanks! - Northernguy   MAFIA 2.0 Thanks for playing! - The Red Severum   A new guppy:) - HorrorShowRot   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - iZinedane   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - iZinedane   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - iZinedane   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - iZinedane   

0 Not allowed!
    Also depends on the size of the tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having so many tanks :) - NanoTankGuy   For being a good teacher and helping to educate me! - chel   They didn't have any platys so I got you a pleco! lol - Northernguy   For you mate. - mac   Thanks for all your help and input regarding setting up my 55 gallon!!! - emilyekk   

0 Not allowed!
    ...55 ...
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    I believe they are fairly fast growers and will need a far larger tank within a year if you are to avoid stunting the fish and potentially harm them.

As an aside, I would look into getting some higher-quality food as well. The Top Fin brand is usually regarded as a lower-end food when compared to more favorably reviewed foods such as New Life Spectrum and Hikari.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish here too! lol - Northernguy   Good Luck With Your Fish - Kyle   simply because he asks but will not heed - smaug   Awesome ray! - Nic   yet again,he just dont get it. - smaug   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gm72
    I believe they are fairly fast growers and will need a far larger tank within a year if you are to avoid stunting the fish and potentially harm them.

As an aside, I would look into getting some higher-quality food as well. The Top Fin brand is usually regarded as a lower-end food when compared to more favorably reviewed foods such as New Life Spectrum and Hikari.
    Bala Sharks grow VERY FAST! I purchased 3 of the medium sized Bala Sharks from petsmart like 3 weeks ago. I was in petsmart a few days ago and realized my Bala Sharks were already the size of the large bala sharks they are selling!

I have mine in a 125 though, and the temp is high (82). They also have been spoiled with too much food, as while trying to pellet train my bass they eat everything they dont =O

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    Swifterz, please also understand that although blacksnow has his balas in a 125 his tank is also horribly overstocked and he too will need a far larger tank, 300+ gallons, in the near future.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    I kept a bala beginning in a 20 gal years ago,I then moved him to a 58 after 3 years,he stayed in that tank for about a year and I gave him to someone with a bigger tank.He was only 7" when I got rid of him but should have been twice that size,he became stunted due to being kept that way.Dont keep balas in tanks less then 125 gals,rehome them now,they dont belong in a 55 gal.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Howdy neighbor - Algenco   

0 Not allowed!
    i've heard balas can take 3 years to reach 6 inches and also that they grow as much as inch per month for the first 3 or 4 months. it's hard to tell but i would guess that mine are all a little under 3". yesterday i was back in the same store that i got them and mine are all noticeably larger. maybe i just got the biggest ones they had or maybe they have really grown that much in the couple weeks that i have owned them.
    75 Gallon Malawi Tank
    adult male Peacoks/Haps w/ a few Mbuna,
    Rainbow Shark, Syndontis Cats & a Pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry I confused myself.  :) - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for the Moss... - Sounguru    - Wild Turkey   No Message - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    I think Balas do grow pretty fast. And yes, they do need 125g minimum for an optimal existence. Pet stores have no business selling them in the volume they do, but people like them, and people buy them (myself included, in fact, one of my first posts on this forum looked a lot like this one).

With that said, understand that there are a LOT worse places your balas can be than in your 55g. The vast majority of them end up in a 10g or 20g if they are lucky, since that's what most people start with. I'm not going to join the clamor for you to rehome them immediately...because it's jsut doubtful that you will find someone with a 300g tank that wants a school of balas. Realistically, living out a few years in a 55g is a hell of a lot better than dying in a 10g or going back to the pet store to be sold to someone with an even less optimal set-up. My advice to you is to be cognizant that they grow fast, like to swim, and are very fast...ideally they'd be in a much larger tank. As you continue to participate in this hobby, you will probably come across somebody with a big tank or stumble into that mecca of LFS with 500g tanks where they would be happy. If not, well, just provide them the best home you can, but taking them back to the pet store is not what I would recommend as they'll just get sold again (if they survive the shock of being reintroduced to a petstore tank).

Trust me. I've been there. I took 3 clown loaches and 2 upside down catfish (that I rescued and rehabilitated) to a new LFS where the new manager of the aquarium section was going to use them in his big display tanks. My wife was aghast when he just dumped them right into a crappy little "for sale" tank, no acclimation whatsoever. She went back the next day and he told her they all died overnight. He didn't even have the sense to lie to her and tell her he took them home or something. She cried. I felt crappy.

Moral of the story: Research the fish you buy henceforth. And if you are stuck with some fish...don't take them back to the pet store. Only rehome them when and if you find someone you trust and know will provide for them better than you can.