· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default how would you stock a 100 G tank ?

0 Not allowed!
    just wanted to get some ideas for stocking my 100 G FOWLR tank

definatly want a yellow tang and a pair of clowns .havent made up my mind on anything else.please make some suggestions

thanks

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How much are you willing to spend?

Corals?

Lots of live rock or only a little?

Interested in small, medium or big fish?

Easy, moderate or difficult to keep?

Answer those questions and we can go from there

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by unleashed
    How much are you willing to spend? price shouldnt be a problem on a fish , if its over $250 than i will think about it

Corals? no corals

Lots of live rock or only a little? about 80 kilos of live rock , can go more if needed, plus a deltec mce 600
    Interested in small, medium or big fish? medium -large fish

Easy, moderate or difficult to keep? easy-moderate

Answer those questions and we can go from there
    thanks for the help

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would probably go for either one or two of the smaller Zebrasoma sp. tangs (Yellow, Scopas or Purple).

I would also consider some bread and butter fish such as clowns and gobies etc.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to consider a couple of butterflies when your tank is 6-12 months old. 'Easier' species such as Raccoon, Vagabond or saddleback butterflies.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by unleashed
    I would probably go for either one or two of the smaller Zebrasoma sp. tangs (Yellow, Scopas or Purple).I would also consider some bread and butter fish such as clowns and gobies etc.

However, I wouldn't hesitate to consider a couple of butterflies when your tank is 6-12 months old. 'Easier' species such as Raccoon, Vagabond or saddleback butterflies.
    I would love to have 2 tangs , a yellow and a purple but how would they get along with each other in a 100 G tank ? could their be a aggression problem ?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is roughly 110g and I have both a yellow and a purple

The yellow was already established when I added the purple and there was a hell of a lot of aggression from the yellow.

Everything settled down after the first week but there still is the occasional chasing between the two.

The purple ended up getting a bad case of ich but he pulled through. Fish from the Red Sea are extremely hardy and should easily pull through things like ich

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't add the clowns until your tank is mature enough to support an anemone.
    Tangs would make a great addition. You may also want to look at some wrasse species, perhaps a blue damsal, a small angel like a coral beauty, perhaps a goby to stir up the sand as well.

Don't forget the cleanup crew!
    -Dr. James

8. Wink

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPox
    I wouldn't add the clowns until your tank is mature enough to support an anemone.
    Tangs would make a great addition. You may also want to look at some wrasse species, perhaps a blue damsal, a small angel like a coral beauty, perhaps a goby to stir up the sand as well.

Don't forget the cleanup crew!
    was thinking about a blue damsal but a number of people have told me to stay clear of them due to their aggressive bahaviour , do they do best in a small group or by themselves ?

0 Not allowed!
    You can have a couple blue damsals, but you have to introduce them at the same time. They also tend to work best when introduced last to a tank, though it isn't an absolute requirement.
    They are on the more aggressive side when it comes to territory, but certainly not the more aggressive of species.
    -Dr. James

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPox
    An anemone is not a requirement for keeping clowns. There is no need to wait till the tank is mature enough for an anemone to add clowns. Personally, the clowns would be the first thing I would add.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown