· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sand

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Sand

0 Not allowed!
    How much live sand should I have in my tank I was told 1 inch is this true??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awesome responce to the severum thread! - The Red Severum   Great poster. - mac   Thanks - Northernguy   Thanks! - LadyHatred   Thought you would like this. - fishbum   

0 Not allowed!
    I believe live sand to be a marketing gimmick and say none is really needed. Spend your money on live rock instead.
    -Dr. James

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

add it to your sev tank! - Blu-ray   thanks for the banned game - bluebluecow   A cichlid for that cichlid guy - domjd05   Thanks for you help with my new EBJD! - Jaster   Good Work! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed , by the time it gets to your tank , anything "live" wouldn't be any longer if your talking commercial live sand products. Really all any substrate does is collect junk, so in reallity your reef or other saltwater tank is better off without it . Live rock is far better than most anything in saltwater tanks for bio-filtration of any sort IMO. Just cant go wrong with it. If you must have a substrate , just use enough crushed coral or argonite to just cover the glass without any real depth. however if this is a reef tank bare bottom is best as it's so much easier to keep clean.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

If everyone is thinking alike , then no one is thinking.

Play ban the person above you Here

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    Considering most live sands run about the same cost as dry sand (approximately $1 per pound) there is no money saved by not using live. In addition, since the live sand is alreacy wet it settles much faster and is cleaner in the tank. But for true LIVE sand you just need a small bucket and to know someone with an established tank.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awesome responce to the severum thread! - The Red Severum   Great poster. - mac   Thanks - Northernguy   Thanks! - LadyHatred   Thought you would like this. - fishbum   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    Considering most live sands run about the same cost as dry sand (approximately $1 per pound) there is no money saved by not using live. In addition, since the live sand is alreacy wet it settles much faster and is cleaner in the tank. But for true LIVE sand you just need a small bucket and to know someone with an established tank.
    Dry sand certainly doesn't cost 1$ per pound. Additionally, as you pointed out, you're paying for water and not pure sand volume.
    -Dr. James

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    If you are getting in to saltwater but can't afford $1 per pound this may not be the best hobby for you.

Yes, dry sands do run about $1 per pound, I am a manager at a fish shop.

Again, one of the biggest benefits of live sand is that it is already wet and therefore MUCH easier to put in the tank. Dry sands eithe rneedp resoaking, a lot of cleaning, and/or much more time to settle.

Also keep in mind that most marine tanks should have a pretty fine sand, averaging about 1mm in diameter. If you use dry sand double check this because there seem to be more dry sands that do not fit this parameter.
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think anyone said anything about not affording. I find it to be a very poor value and mostly marketing.

Dry out that 25lb bag of live sand and you probably get 18lbs worth of actual substrate. Even bags of Aragonite online run cheaper then that.

By the way, pool filter sand and play sand are ~5$ for a 50lb bag.
    -Dr. James

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Both of those sands are silica based, a great way to increase silicates and cause algae problems. And neither is beneficial at all in saltwater. I have never seen anyone recommend that type of sand for a marine tank.

Just don't cheap out and save a few bucks just to cause your self more problems.

If anyone else has any questions please ask or PM me. Otherwise look for yourself and see how pricing and quality runs.
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    Both of those sands are silica based, a great way to increase silicates and cause algae problems. And neither is beneficial at all in saltwater. I have never seen anyone recommend that type of sand for a marine tank.
    Are you sure about that? I might recommend some analysis by Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley on the subject.
    -Dr. James

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Please provide a link or the information needed to find the book. I would love to find out more if someone is recommending silica sand for a reef aquarium.
    Aquarist since 1995