· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What a lovely showtank. I'm really digging the bamboo, it's given me some ideas for future decorating!
    10g - planted FW - (x3) albino cory cats (temporary, will be moved to a 20 gal soon.
    5g - temp. male crowntail betta habitat <3 Jaws

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your award. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    i really need to start going to craft stores to see what i can find there. i always here about people getting awesome decor at great prices from different places.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas Hailey :) - MeganL3985   Cause your cool!!! - jbeining75   have a beer! - cocoa_pleco   Have to buy a Lady from my neck of the woods a drink - sailor   Heres to one year! - Tolley   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Hailey   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, I love this tank!!!
    My 5.5 RCS tank sure doesnt look like this! lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is a cuter version for you. - smaug   a cory for your latest sucess :) - graceluvsplatys   Great new tank,! Hope it brings you lots of M.T.S lol - Ryuu   Yay I got my first two awards! - Gemini   No Message - Wild Turkey   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Gemini   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Gemini   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Gemini   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Gemini   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    That looks great! I can't wait to see the fire pit and bridge!!!
    Fish are friends, not an expendable entertainment device!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    I like the way you used the bamboo, using silicone on it never even occurred to me! It's given me a few ideas on how I can use it on my tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas! - Northernguy   Here ya go :) - Nick89   Thanks for the plants.  My CPD's thank you too! - Sir Tristen   And a pretty plant for you too! - Sir Tristen   

0 Not allowed!
    Darn this is going to be a hard tank to beat lol I really love the look of it, it really stands out. I had wanted to do something similar with the bamboo once for my own tank, can you maybe send me the brand name of the stuff you bought to coat it with? I think i might have to try some bamboo with my betta tank^_~
    30gL heavily planted: south american community tank
    15g mod. planted: nano fish community tank
    6g long(custom tank) mod planted: 6 bettas w/ dividers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC ! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, unfortunately this tank has turned into a complete and total failure. Despite my efforts, the bamboo began to rot and put off such a foul stench that I couldn't even walk past it without wrinkling my nose. I bought an AC20 for additional filtration and did frequent water changes but neither was enough to keep the water parameters from skyrocketing out of control and killing the shrimp. This past weekend I tore the tank down and it was so disgusting that I had to wear gloves and hold my breath the entire time. I seriously thought I might vomit from the smell or pass out from holding my breath. Yes, it was that bad.

I salvaged the plants that were doing ok, but everything else in the tank went into the trash. I used a razor blade to scrape off the residual silicone from where the bamboo and wall were attached. I scrubbed the entire tank with hot water and it is now soaking in my deep sink in diluted bleach.

I put the AC20 on my 37g and the internal filter in my daughters 12g to hopefully preserve the cycle in those filters. I gave the salvaged plants a quick bleach dip and put them in my other tanks as well.

Now what? Well, I have not given up on the "idea" behind this tank and I already have some new thoughts for things to try the next time.

Stay tuned!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadina
    Well, unfortunately this tank has turned into a complete and total failure. Despite my efforts, the bamboo began to rot and put off such a foul stench that I couldn't even walk past it without wrinkling my nose.
    Think it may be possible to apply some sort of water sealer on the bamboo?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC ! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith
    Think it may be possible to apply some sort of water sealer on the bamboo?
    Yeah, I did that actually. I dipped each bamboo piece in a polyurethane varnish before sticking them to the bottom of the tank with silicone. I think one of the problems was that the polyurethane did not coat the inside of the bamboo well enough and it was rotting from the inside out. I probably should have "plugged" them up with silicone.
    37g Cardinal Tetras, Panda Corys, Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Nyete'
    12g Dwarf Frogs
    5.5g Red Cherry Shrimp
    3g Betta