· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Mith   

Default Id Help and Long question.

0 Not allowed!
    Got this new plant at the LFS. Hopeing to get more cuz it seems to grow well in my water. Anyone got a name for it?

I pulled a few of the loose stems free and tried transplanting them off by themselves. So far so good, but with most other stem plants that I have tried whenever i put them in the gravel (rough gravel, no substrate, fert tabs added monthly) the lower stem will rot even tho the roots are there. I only bury enough to hold the plant down.

However if I leave them in the pot or leave them in the green packing they seem to hold out longer.

Stem plants are hard to grow. Swords fair alittle better in my tank but lack height and any dark green color, most are a light green. Any cures to this prob. I posted my lighting upgrade in another post, maybe it will help alittle.

The plant in this photo seems to do fairly well, lets see how it transplants.

On to the photo. What is the plant is the back, the tall bunch left of the driftwood.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    I have that plant, and it transplants well. I can't remember the name though...helpful, huh?
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    It is some type of bacopa, monetwort maybe?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    its moneywort.It is a fairly easy plant but like any stem plant the more light it has the more compact it becomes,less light it becomes long and leggy wit most of the leaves toward the surface and the Lower leaves either non existing or small and far in between.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Mith   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, thanks for the ID.

Now when I go to trim it, should i just take like the top 8 inches and let that float till roots develop, or should i plant it 1/2 " deep?

How about with stem rot? Can and water conditions (hard water) cause stem rot or holes in leaves.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for being a nice person! ...and the fiendship! :-) - digital3   Thanks for ID'ing my Apisto - Spyder   youre always so nice! - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas Jess :) - MeganL3985   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Fishalicious   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fishalicious   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Fishalicious   HIV/AIDS - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    The Green long bunch behind the fish is a Bacopa Australis...on the far left the green plant is Moneywort. Just top it and replant straight away...the roots form nicely under the substrate.

Rotting stems is usually due newish substrate or not enough nourishment in the substrate - cut off the black rotting at the bottom and replant with a root tab or a clump of laterite.
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Mith   

0 Not allowed!
    Where do i get laterite? I had to wiki that term.

Is substrate really worth it. I spent about 50 buck for this gravel, and I bet substrate is more expensive.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for being a nice person! ...and the fiendship! :-) - digital3   Thanks for ID'ing my Apisto - Spyder   youre always so nice! - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas Jess :) - MeganL3985   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Fishalicious   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fishalicious   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Fishalicious   HIV/AIDS - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    Substrate is just the general term for any type you have whether it be sand/gravel or whatever. Plants can grow well in gravel but if the roots are rotting then you need to add some nutrition to the roots....root tabs can be bought in most LFS - Laterite you can find in nature You just need to dig low enough
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Mith   

0 Not allowed!
    so update. Took a clipping and a few of the loose stems and transplanted them. Well signs are looking up. the bases look solid still and im seeing some new growth.

I like this bacopa, very hardy plant. Thanks for the tips.