· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

good luck with that sick cichlid! big wounds are never fun - cocoa_pleco   

Default please please please help - fish are dying...

0 Not allowed!
    Now I'm really worried. I decided not to go on my little trip - mostly because I was having trouble getting off work, but also because I didn't want my tank to mess up. Seems like it's already messed up anyway...

I don't know what the heck is wrong with my tank, but I ended up going to the store last night to finally get some fish, but now two are dead and the other two are dying. I bought two electric yellows, 1 pseudotropheus (I think that's what it is), and one small gray fish with dark vertical stripes. I'm sorry I'm not more specific on what fish they are - the guy at the store didn't really know a whole lot and I just went with fish that I had before in my tank in San Diego. I never had a fish die on me before. I brought the fish home, went through the whole routine with floating the bags, then let them into the water. They seemed fine - just exploring around and stuff. They were fine at 3am yesterday, and two were dead when I just checked now at 1pm. Water temp, ammonia, and pH is good. I just tried to put food in for the last two fish, and they won't eat. One is just hiding under a rock and breathing pretty irregularly and the other is just kind of wandering around. The food was literally touching the wanderer and he wasn't eating. The two labs came from the same tank at the store, but the other two fish came from two different tanks. One of the labs and the pseudotropheus are the two that died. I tried to feed the fish just a very little bit last night, and they were all about it. That's the only thing that I can think of that's different from my setup I had in San Diego. I'm feeding themTetra brand Spirulina-Enhanced Flakes. It says it's for all algae grazers.

The fish are all clean looking - no spots or anything. The fins are a little eaten up on the small gray one, but that's how most of my fish first came in San Diego because of how they were kept at the store.

Any ideas on what else to check? Is there anything I can do to save my fish?

One thing I just thought of that is different is I added some crushed coral about 2 days ago. I rinsed it many times. When I put the coral in the water, it made it really cloudy for a few hours. Could it be that I didn't rinse it good enough and there is now a ton of dust or something in my water?
    Last edited by niqolas619; 03-13-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Now the yellow one is swimming around, but he's all messed up - swimming upside down and sideways and stuff. He's more being carried around by the water than moving through it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    DO YOUR WATER TESTS! I bet any amount of money your are not done cycling and your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates are all high.

Also, don't buy fish unless you know what they are. You can't mix cichlids with just anything.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   coffee, tea or me? - Lady Hobbs   now it looks better here - Lady Hobbs   ok, I quit - Lady Hobbs   Cogratulations on 1st lottery win! - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sergo   

0 Not allowed!
    have you done a water hardness test?
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Jeez, I don't know what happened. I had been doing my water tests religiously and adding ammonia and got everything good. I was putting in about 15 ml of ammonia a couple of times per day, and it was going down to 0ppm within maybe 5 hours or so and my nitrites were floating around 3 or 4. I finally got my nitrites down to 0, so I changed out about 75% of the water. I just tested everything now, and the ammonia is at 0, nitrite is probably around 4 or 5, and nitrates are around 7 or 8. How could this happen? I thought my tank was cycled.

ps - I don't have a water hardness test component in the test kit I bought.
    Last edited by niqolas619; 03-13-2007 at 07:32 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbs
    Also, don't buy fish unless you know what they are. You can't mix cichlids with just anything.
    The only reason I went ahead and bought these fish was because they were the same ones I had in San Diego. The place I went to in San Diego was much better than the place here in Chicago, so the San Diego guys would not have let me put stuff in my tank that wouldn't work together. I'm not trying to contradict you here, hobbs, I just thought that I would be alright by copying my last setup. I really appreciate your help with this stuff, though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

you need some gifts - Lady Hobbs   coffee, tea or me? - Lady Hobbs   now it looks better here - Lady Hobbs   ok, I quit - Lady Hobbs   Cogratulations on 1st lottery win! - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sergo   

0 Not allowed!
    you can add some salt to help with the nitrite poisoning but i don't know how much.

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    also do a large water change immediately.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sergo
    you can add some salt to help with the nitrite poisoning but i don't know how much.
    It's too late, the other two died now too.

Man, I'm way bummed about this - I didn't cycle my tank at all in San Diego because my girlfriend would not get off my back about getting fish. Here, I thought I was doing everything the right way and my tank was completely cycled. I put four fish in and they're dead within 24 hours.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    sorry to hear that. only thing i can say is start over again and make sure everything is totally complete.