· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your guppys for the people project! - Fraoch   You needed a gift! - Agassizii   Congrats on your award. - Brookfish   For the hot weather - fraggle   Have another - Agassizii   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ranubis89   

Post No more alligator gar and some other cool fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Daniel Hurst
    June 24, 2009 - 4:59PM
    Exotic fish enthusiasts beware - the Queensland Government is about to quadruple the number of banned species.

Electric eels, piranhas and walking catfish are among 18 species already on the state's noxious fish blacklist, but this list will expand to more than 70 on August 1.

The move will force the owners of breeds such as the Chinese swordfish, stinging catfish, pygmy sunfish and aba aba to apply for a permit to avoid a maximum $200,000 fine.

Queensland Primary Industries and Fisheries biologist Dan Willett said the state was home to some "die-hard hobbyists" who collected rare and strange fish types from around the world, but authorities had been forced to increase the number of blacklisted fish to keep in line with a national strategy.

"They're banned because of the potential damage they could do to our environment if they were to be let loose," Mr Willett told brisbanetimes.com.au.

"They would displace our native fish by competing for food and habitat space and may spread disease as well."

He said the exotic fish, sourced from Africa, Asia and the Americas, were suited to freshwater but some of them tolerated salt water.

They were unlikely to have been purchased in a regular pet shop, he said.

Primary Industries and Fisheries Minister Tim Mulherin said the changes would mainly affect hobbyists and the aquarium and aquaculture industries.

"We've already got a battle on our hands trying to eradicate tilapia, one of the world's most invasive fish species, from waterways around the state," he said.

"We don't want a repeat. Our studies show that if tilapia become established in the Gulf of Carpentaria catchments, they could reduce the yields in the commercial barramundi fishery by 20 per cent, costing more than $2 million a year."

Existing owners will have the option to surrender or dispose of banned species or apply for a permit.

They can phone 13 25 23 or visit www.dpi.qld.gov.au for advice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Keep this is Australia , not down here in the USA. That sucks though for Austrians .
    Last edited by The Red Severum; 06-24-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your guppys for the people project! - Fraoch   You needed a gift! - Agassizii   Congrats on your award. - Brookfish   For the hot weather - fraggle   Have another - Agassizii   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ranubis89   

0 Not allowed!
    Queensland australia lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congrats on MOTM! - Jacko   Another round for my friends - mommy1   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Thanks for your kind words in my blog, it really dose help - Cliff   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - The Red Severum   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Red Severum   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - The Red Severum   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - The Red Severum   HIV/AIDS - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    What are you talking about, I said that

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    haha XD yes because australia is canada:P

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Nice edit red:P

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    But honestly that bugs me you shouldnt need a permit to keep fish. Even if its an "exotic" species people just need to use there ****ing heads:)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I prefer if you needed a permit (if it was medium hard on getting one) it takes the pacus and fish out of the hobby to begginers that could get popular in the wild.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yea true but I have actually NEVER even seen an alligator gar for sale. And I have been into aquariums for about 15 years.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for my seeester! - mommy1   a happy easter banana - mommy1   thanks! - mommy1   havent given you a gift in a while - mommy1   i won the lottery!! - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I had a couple of gars about 20 years ago but I don't know what kind they were. I just visited a couple of USA sites that said they would sell alligator gars when they were in season.

4 black kuhli loaches, 1 clown pleco
    6 zebras, 1 blue betta