· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

Exclamation Oto's with fin rot?

0 Not allowed!
    So this morning I was checking out my otos and I noticed one's dorsal fin was almost all gone and it's tail fin was going too. I looked at the other oto and I saw some white spots on the tail.

Both oto's have been in my 10g for months now. I check water parameters this morning and everything was fine. (0 ammo- 0 nitrite- 5 nitrate). I tend to do weekly 10%-20% water changes weekly.

Could this be something other than fin rot? How should I go about treating it? As of now I don't have a QT tank and I know oto's are sensitive to medications.

edit: also I don't see any problems with any of the other fish in the tank, only the two oto's appear to have this problem.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Z Fish Man; 06-24-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the double post but after closer inspection the spot on the tail are just normal coloration and only the one oto's dorsal fin is gone. I'm now guessing that it got eaten . Not sure how that happened as all my fish are peaceful and I have not witnessed any problems. I hope his fin grows back ok. Anything I should worry about?
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I am sorry for jumping to conclusions! - Gayle   Just because!!! - Mith   Happy Birthday - Celtic Fins   Happy Birthday! - KingFisher   Happy birthday - Jaster   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Z Fish Man
    Sorry for the double post but after closer inspection the spot on the tail are just normal coloration and only the one oto's dorsal fin is gone. I'm now guessing that it got eaten . Not sure how that happened as all my fish are peaceful and I have not witnessed any problems. I hope his fin grows back ok. Anything I should worry about?
    If a fish ate the dorsal fin, could it be the paradise fish you have?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Possibly but he's pretty peaceful and I haven't notice him bothering other fish much except around feeding time he gets a little bossy but has never done any damage. I recently put I BN pleco in my tank but I don't think they are aggressive. I'll just have to keep a look out I guess.