megastealer home stretch cycling journal
Alright, a few of you know a bit about what I'm attempting already, but I'll lay everything out for those who don't.
I have 2 goldfish, 1 of which is quite sick, and this was due to my fault of keeping him in a 1 gallon "tank" while I was at school for 4 months. Due to frequent water changes, he managed to survive. After summer break started, I moved him to a 10 gallon tank, and got another goldfish as well, only to find out they were going to get way too big for a 10 gallon tank.
I picked up a 29 gallon tank on craigslist about 3 weeks after I moved them to a 10 gallon, and that 29 gallon tank has been outside in our screened in porch for about 2 weeks. The temperature is steadily hot outside, and the tank is only open to the air, the sun only enters the room for about 5-6 hours per day.
I have a t5 lighting system scheduled to arrive here on Tuesday.
Here are the test results and info on each tank. My main concern is on if I am ready to move my goldfish to the 29 gallon to make them as healthy as possible given my situation.
Currently in my 10 gallon are two small fantails, and a small pleco which I am still working on getting rid of to a good home. It has a whisper 10 gallon filter, and plastic plants. My test today only 4 hours after a 50% water change was 0ppm ammonia, 2ppm nitrite, and 5ppm nitrate.
Currently in my 29 gallon are 3 rosy minnows and 4 danios for cycling. I have a java fern with at least 5 baby plants, 2 large amazon swords, and about 4-5 stalks of water wisteria. I am working on getting an AquaClear 50 for it, but currently it has a Aqua Tech 20-40 gallon filter. My last test today was 0ppm ammonia, 2ppm nitrite, and about 10ppm nitrate.
Like I said, my T5 system gets here Tuesday. From that point, I would be able to move the 29 gallon tank in the house. Only catch is that my parents will NOT let me have 2 aquariums in the house for more than the time it takes to transfer the fish. So my 2 gold fish and pleco will have to be ready for the switch by the time I decide to bring the tank inside.
that 2ppm nitrites scares me ya really need to get that down
The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.
As soon as I do, they go right back up... I was doing 3 75% water changes a day to get rid of the nitrite.... people here said that was bad and to just do 1 50% water change every day... so thats what I've been doing.
Originally Posted by bushwhacker
Also, I am a bit confused about the filters.
Both my filters have activated carbon with them... I was advised to remove the activated carbon from my 29g... when do I put it back? Also, should I remove the activated carbon from my 10g filter?
Also, my lighting system comes in tomorrow. I need to know whether or not I should move my 2 fantails and pleco to the 29g, and move the 4 danios and 3 red minnows to the 10g, or just move the minnows to the 10g and leave the 4 danios in with my fantails and pleco in the 29g... or just leave my fantails in the 10g..
Last edited by megastealer; 06-23-2009 at 06:04 AM.
You should remove carbon when you're using medications. You can put it back in or not, it doesn't provide a huge benefit.
One thought - am I seeing sunlight directly into the 29 gallon? That will heat up your water like crazy and once you start seeing nitrates, you'll get algae galore. Until you can get the tank inside, put a hood or cover and a background (even a piece of wood or cardboard) to block out the sunlight.
I rubbed the 10 gallon filter media on the 29 gallon filter media and got some of the gunk on it, I've had nitrites for about 2 weeks.
I was purposely letting light into the room so that the plants will get their light, we have curtains in that room to block out the sun during most of the day.
But anyway, I still don't know which tank would be best to put my fish in today, now that I have the option to put the 29 gallon inside with my t5 lights.