· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

First fish for your AC Tank! - Brookfish   Cause my one little fish was lonely - dragoonwoman   Couldn't find any horse gift for you except a seahorse! lol - Blu-ray   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - dragoonwoman   

Angry Just LOVE this part....

0 Not allowed!
    "...you should check with a fish supply store for information that is specific to the type of fish that you are keeping."

Like the morons at the lfs are going to give you the RIGHT answer!! I've had to walk away more than once when in the lfs, because what the clerk was telling another customer got me SO MAD!

PETA is like many such organizations - it has its good people and good intentions, and it has its radical zealots who are out to impose their misinformed thinking on anyone who crosses their path. Makes me think of the classic mob scene in movies - Light the torches! Run through the streets! Burn, kill, destroy!

Insane....

***EDIT*** Didn't know this thread was so old, but PETA is still out there, messing where they shouldn't be. People are getting wise to their tactics now, at least.
    Dragoon Woman
    46 bowfront: Planted, Angelfish, Rasboras, Cories, Tetras, Otos
    25g: Planted, cherry shrimp, otos
    5g: Planted, Betta
    4g: Planted, betta
    5 horses, 7 cats, all rescued animals

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    PETA would detest what all of us do since they are against animals (fish included) being kept by people in any capacity.

I am pretty sure my dogs, cats, fish and horses are very happy to see me so many times a day as I care for, clean up after, feed, and give them love.

PETA is really, really far out there... It's their right to be so completely wrong (to loosely quote Dennis Miller), but there are not very many animal lovers who see eye to eye with PETA...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   DT runner up-you deserve a cookie! - Boundava   Thanks for the Birthday wishes. - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - gadget228   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - gadget228   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gadget228   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - gadget228   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus -  Animal Cruelty - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragoonwoman
    "...you should check with a fish supply store for information that is specific to the type of fish that you are keeping."

Like the morons at the lfs are going to give you the RIGHT answer!! I've had to walk away more than once when in the lfs, because what the clerk was telling another customer got me SO MAD!

I'm sure that there are good LFS that know what they are talking about but it's not mine, have yet to get a correct answer on anything.

PETA is like many such organizations - it has its good people and good intentions, and it has its radical zealots who are out to impose their misinformed thinking on anyone who crosses their path. Makes me think of the classic mob scene in movies - Light the torches! Run through the streets! Burn, kill, destroy!

Couldn't agree with you more here, a few bad apples....

Insane....

***EDIT*** Didn't know this thread was so old, but PETA is still out there, messing where they shouldn't be. People are getting wise to their tactics now, at least.
    I'm also a Pisces
    Last edited by gadget228; 12-31-2009 at 03:52 PM.
    You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

First fish for your AC Tank! - Brookfish   Cause my one little fish was lonely - dragoonwoman   Couldn't find any horse gift for you except a seahorse! lol - Blu-ray   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - dragoonwoman   

Exclamation Know just what you mean!

0 Not allowed!
    If my horses and cats are SO UNHAPPY to be kept by me - WHY DO THEY COME RUNNING THE MOMENT THEY HEAR MY VOICE???

We have two wild cats who shelter in our garage (parents of the litter we rescued in April), and they sure don't look very glad to be living "free."

My fish come up to the front glass when I walk by. If they hated their surroundings, or were stressed, they would HIDE!

All my animals tell me, as plainly as if they spoke words - "We love you, you take good care of us, we want to be near you always."

Jill - I'm sure you "hear" the same from your menagerie!

PETA BE DAMNED.
    Dragoon Woman
    46 bowfront: Planted, Angelfish, Rasboras, Cories, Tetras, Otos
    25g: Planted, cherry shrimp, otos
    5g: Planted, Betta
    4g: Planted, betta
    5 horses, 7 cats, all rescued animals

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

And here is your first gift, enjoy! :) - Oscar_freak12321   thanks for the gift! I'm glad you like my site! :) - Mrs.JayMay23   No Message - james20   

0 Not allowed!
    when will peta learn...... ITS CALLED THE FOOD CHAIN!!!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - gadget228   Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    It upsets me the way PETA makes people who actually and sincerely care about animals look bad. It seems like every person who cares about animal rights nowadays automatically becomes some sort of PETA nutjob in everyone's eyes.

edit.. oops.. just saw this was ancient thread
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff Boo train boo train boo train boo train woohoo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your guppys for the people project! - Fraoch   You needed a gift! - Agassizii   Congrats on your award. - Brookfish   For the hot weather - fraggle   Have another - Agassizii   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ranubis89   

0 Not allowed!
    Allrighty SO Peta can suck it anywho. One anyone think of how much BS they put out like that causes people to panic maybe throwing the fish into the local waterways and shizit. Or getting rid of animals just to the wild because "Its wrong to have pets" I wonder when peta will realize that dogs have been around even before peta was around dogs are still there obviously dogs+people are good togetherxD People have kept fish for a while obviously not all the fish are dead.. And hell sure I dont agree with mass stocking a tank or injecting fish. But its a simple hobby and or enertainment whatever you want to call it. I read an article how Peta flipped on a small fishing town because they threw the carcasses of a fish around. But in reality they most are vegetarians plants have feelings. Sure they dont really have a brain.XD But if you shine light on a plant it will open or move towards the light. Sure might just be the plant But what if its not. There eating a living creature.. Omagawd now peta cant eat and hopefully they all die out. Its one organization that needs to be wiped off the face of the planet. Really the organization is built upon a giant septic tank and bull shiz is seeping through every orfus of there wretched bodies.
    "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." -Albert Einstein

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome! - Mith   No Message - korith   Time to help clean that mess up! - Agassizii   A lil spilt wine for your white carpet lol - Padams   Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii   

0 Not allowed!
    Actually... And this is gonna make some people lol... PETA does have policies about eating plants, as well as animals...

Basically PETA says that you shouldn't eat any plants that have been grown on a mass-producing farm... Because farms take up land that actually belongs to animals, not us.

So PETA's stand on food is that we should only be eating food that we've grown ourselves at home, or food that we've salvaged from dumpster diving that would have been thrown away otherwise.

That's exactly how I want to live my life, right? Grow lights in every room of the house, nowhere to sit down, starvation if my plants ever got a disease, and picking through people's garbage for food... Might as well be homeless... Least that way I wouldn't have to worry about working and taxes...
    Praise Ineptune! God of the Failboat!
    Moo.

http://www.amazon.com/Freshwater-Aqu...dp_ob_title_bk

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   Happy Birthday!!! - Jill   For your love of the pleco. - R2 Ranch   I agree with many things you say on many topics, so hee is a gift  that - james20   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - annageckos   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - annageckos   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - annageckos   

0 Not allowed!
    I know this is an older thread. But. I do agree with Tetris, I would love to be able to be completely self sufficient. But I can at this point. I love animals, I have a pasion for them. But I also understand that I am an omnivore. I eat plants and animals. That is the way people are. I do believe that the animals should be treated as humanly as possible and would like to one day be able to raise my own food. Or at least some of it. Peta's policies are that NO animals should be in captivity. Not cats, dogs, fish or anything at all. I have a report somewhere that shows the numbers of animals peta takes in to thier shelter and the numbers put down. It is staggering. They put down more animals that city shelters do all because they thing that animals(dogs, cats ect) are better off dead than in a home. I believe the numbers where something like less than 100-150 dogs where adopted out of the 1000's that the took in.
    55 planted Community
    30 planted

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A fish for your tank! - Rue   You need more fish here!lol - Northernguy   for a fellow former sailor. - Scrup   Thank for your advice of the past  2 months - Cliff   For your celebration!lol - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Now I don't know much about PETA and how exactly their organization is structured, but I assume they have accumulated some (probably very large) amount of money to further their goals.

If they truly think this is an issue that needs to be dealt with they could make a big difference.

For example, again assuming they have the funds, they could create several jobs (this would also help to stimulate the economy) where people who are knowledgeable in the art of fish husbandry and aquariums could be inspectors/regulators (all of this would also require some government regulations on the aquarium industry). These inspectors could travel around a designated area of their country and "police" the LFS's, ensuring that they maintained everything up to the aforementioned regulations.

Additionally, they could provide training services for those on the supply end (LFS's, breeders, etc) to ensure that the people harvesting, breeding, and selling the equipment and livestock were not only following regulations, but knowledgeable, and able/willing to selling their product responsibly (i.e. not letting mom & dad buy little timmy the 5 gallon aquarium and 25 goldfish to go in it).