User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pond Idea

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

R.I.P Caprica - troy   

Default Pond Idea

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, before I ask anything, I wanted to thank you guys for all your help. You guys actually know what you're talking about and care about fish... it took me a while to come across any place like this, and I wanted to thank you guys for hanging out here and helping people out new to the hobby so effectively and without asking for anything in return. Hopefully, as I become more knowledgeable, I'll be able to help out some as well.

Before I started keeping a bettafish and a goldfish, I thought I had done my research. I read lots of websites and learned tidbits here and there.. but I really hadn't learned all that I needed to know. I found myself doing the same thing for ponds, but I think I will ask you guys if you can point me in the right direction first.

I have taken pictures of the area I want to put a pond at. Its in our back yard, next to our gazebo which has power run to it.

The area which could be used for the pond is about 7 feet by 3 feet, but I would probably want to do a more rounded design for a pond. For circulation, I would want a small waterfall type feature at one end that gave the whole pond a bit of circulation.

I would like to keep 3-4 fancy goldfish in here, or as many would fit in such an area. I could dig fairly deep, but I'm not sure how deep would be too deep.

Any advice you guys have on what to read or what to do would be awesome. I don't need to start actually buying anything just yet... this is all just speculation for now. But it would be really nice to have a pond stocked with a few happy goldfish back there.

Anyway, before I scare you all off with this mountain of text, here are my pictures of my proposed area.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Other(more distant) Ohio buddy! - AABatteries   You get one anyway! Thanks - Wild Turkey   For all the gifts you are making! - William   Great gift contributions! - Northernguy   thanks for the gifts - William   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BowlerGT   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BowlerGT   

0 Not allowed!
    I dont know much about ponds but as for depth where do you live at? If it is a place that gets real cold you either need a deep enough pond that it wont completely freeze or a big enough tank to put the fish in for winter. Thats about all I got to offer sorry lol
    55 Gallon Freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

R.I.P Caprica - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    We live in Mobile... it very rarely freezes here lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a fine spot for a pond and it's good that it doesn't freeze. Depth won't matter as much so it's pretty much up to you. Get a good filter and not just a pump. Some floating plants will benefit the pond.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Check out this pond!http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=39863
    I think its well built and designed! He has some good knowledge about ponds!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

R.I.P Caprica - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes... it would be REALLY cool to hear from smaug here about his ideas... he seems to be the resident expert on ponds here! I tried to get through his thread, I read about 20 pages , skipped some of the early middle ones though because it was just so much to take in.

One thing I'm worried about are stray cats and dogs. We recently lost our rabbit after it was chased out of its great enclosure we built for it. It found 6" of a weak spot between the house and fence post, and pushed in and chased the rabbit out. We looked all over for the little guy but we couldn't find him. There are a lot of woods around here, so even though I put up flyers and mounted a massive local campaign to find him, no luck.

But there are a lot of stray animals here... so I was thinking to keep my fish safe from cats it would need to be a bit deeper and maybe have hiding spots. Does anyone have experience with this?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey there.Thats a beautiful spot for a pond.There will be some issues to deal with.The shrubs and the tree will have lots of roots which will make it hard to dig and over time cause puncture problems with a soft liner.Leaves in the water will be an issue as well and the shade that it sets in will take some plants off your list.I would use a preformed liner made from heavy plastic or a fiberglass unit.There are many shapes available and with a good pump and an auxiliary fountain round isn't your only option for good circulation.Small fountain pumps can be placed in the pond and used like power heads in a fish tank.From the scale of the area I would say you could have at least a 500 gal pond there,deep is better with 3ft being very nice,the whole thing doesn't need to be that deep just a hole in the center that is at least a 3rd of the size of the pond in circ.I am unsure if preformed liners are sold in that size so if you really want a soft liner pond [better choice depending on ground conditions]I suggest 2 layers of puncture proof underlayement [its cheap at 40 cents a sq ft] 70c sq for liner.Your ground is sandy down there?You may have to consult a landscaping comp on how to form your edges and slopes so they stay put for you.As for pumps,if you go with a soft liner use a skimmer /waterfall setup this way any leaves or other stuff that falls in will be removed.If you go with 500 gal get at least a 1000 gph debris handling pump with 1500 gph being preferable.You have a lot of shade so I don't think a uv clarifier will be necessary.Cats are not an issue,nor are dogs.Raccoons barely,mink ,omg don't get me started on mink,they are TOO smart.Ive not lost anything to them but people around me have.Herons are the biggy,they can clear a big pond in one eve.Herons are easily defeated by making your pond not easy to fly from,they like a running start and have difficulty's taking of quickly.PM me for another heron deterrent.
    Last edited by smaug; 06-14-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

R.I.P Caprica - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    The ground here isn't very sandy, its pretty solid - a bit hard to dig through but it can be done with some hard work. In the long term though, I guess that is a good thing.

Do you have an estimate on how much a project like this might cost? I would be doing the work, but my parents would need to foot the bill since its their house... they are interested in having a pond back there and I wouldn't mind building it. My dad is a fairly good handyman type guy as well, so he could probably repair just about anything that goes wrong with it. I would rather do double layer of the puncture proof material as well, since it would be cheaper and easier to get the shape and size I want for the pond.

Thanks for your help!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    A 10ft round pond with a 3 ft max and a 2.5ft avg would come out to 950 gal
    you would need a piece of 45mil epdm liner 18 ft sq that is 324 sqft of liner at about 75 cents per sqft that is ,then underlayement at 40 cents sqft x2.depending on the use of a skimmer a good one will cost you. A`waterfall for a pond this size would be about the same as the skimmer.A pump to do at least 1500 -2000gph ,solids handling are best as they are difficult at best to prefilter.
    243 dollars for liner
    259 dollars for underlay
    275 dollars for skimmer
    275 dollars for falls
    175-200 dollars for solids handling pump
    100 dollars for good quality kink free hose and asst plumbing fittings
    or you can go this route http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4&pcatid=12254 and not have to worry about pieceing it all together,this is a good kit and the only one I would recomend to buy as a kit.You can order the xtra underlayment from them as well.The equipment that comes with this kit is a bit overkill for a 900-1000 gal pond but more is always better when it comes to outdoor ponds.Take it from me,I have already had to get a bigger pump then the one I started with.Never undersize the pump!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

R.I.P Caprica - troy   

0 Not allowed!
    Ouch. I was looking at more like $300. Lol. Would it be possible to hit under $500? Maybe a smaller pond with just 3-4 fancies or so? There isn't much possibility that they would spring that much for a pond at all. Maybe like 75-150 gallons instead of 950?