· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 29 Gallon Stocking ideas!

0 Not allowed!
    So, in a FOWLR system, maybe some inverts or corals later on down the road, and about 30lbs of live rock, What would be some good stocking for this tank? What are animals you all have owned that proved to be hardy, nice to look at and overall a positive experience in fish keeping?

i wanted to start out with:

1 hermit crab (dwarf if I decide to go reef)
    1-2 Turbo snails
    1 Lawnmower Blenny
    1 Small Brittle Star

thats all i got so far. What can go with those and live fine in 29 gallon tall? Or any of those that you would NOT advise in keeping?

I do like Dwarf Lions, B. Cardinals, spot and yellow tail damsel, Angler/Frogfish, etc... (obviously, some of these dont go with my other choosings)
    Last edited by JaredCBell; 06-10-2009 at 08:32 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My answers is bold

Quote Originally Posted by JaredCBell
    So, in a FOWLR system, maybe some inverts or corals later on down the road, and about 30lbs of live rockMaybe try 40lbs?, What would be some good stocking for this tank? What are animals you all have owned that proved to be hardy, nice to look at and overall a positive experience in fish keeping?

i wanted to start out with:

1 hermit crab (dwarf if I decide to go reef) There are many species which you could add. You should be able to have a 5 or so. Personal preference really
    1-2 Turbo snailsShould be fine. You could also get plenty of other species as well. You could potentially have 10-15 snails (not all turbos as these get BIG)
    1 Lawnmower BlennyI wouldn't recommend on of these fish for any small tank. These require huge amount of algae growing in your tank and contrary to popular belief, the lawnmower blenny is incredibly difficult to acclimate to prepared foods. Also, bear in mind that you clean up crew (snails, hermits etc) will compete against the blenny for algae in your tank
    1 Small Brittle StarBe careful with these. Some are known fish eaters

thats all i got so far. What can go with those and live fine in 29 gallon tall? Or any of those that you would NOT advise in keeping?

I do like Dwarf LionsI wouldn't put one in a 29g personally, B. CardinalsGo with captive bred specimens. Also should be kept singularly unless you can find a proven male/female pair, spot and yellow tail damselI would never recommend damsels for all but large tanks as they are very aggressive fish. Large tanks (100+g) seem to dilute their aggression. However, this is not always the case, Angler/Frogfish, etc... One should be fine in your tank with no tankmates as they will become food(obviously, some of these dont go with my other choosings)

I would recommend a couple of cleaner shrimp and fish such as occelaris/percula clowns, firefish, basslets (Serranus sp. and Gramma sp.), gobies and blennies other than those with similar dietary requirements as strict as the lawnmower blenny. You could even look at some species of wrasse - I wouldn't recommend a sixline wrasse as these a super aggressive fish

I have kept fish from all of the groups cited above. All are fairly hardy except for obviously the lawnmower blenny which I have found just whither away and die. Royal grammas or even blackcap basslets (a little more expensive than royal grammas) are beautiful fish. Lots of personality and very hardy. I have had my blackcap for well over a year. Initially he was very shy (as expected due to him being a deepwater cave-dweller) but is now the boss of the tank.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by unleashed
    My answers is bold
    thanks for the info. Ill find a smaller blenny. There were a couple at the store i liked but the lawnmower blenny just stood out. Now how come you wouldnt put just a single Lionfish in a 29 and make it a species tank? The Fuzzy and fu man chu get no more than 8 inches overall?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After you have done SW for a while, the idea of an 8" fish in a 29g will sound insane. WAY too much bioload for a tank that size.
    40g SW

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by coachfraley
    After you have done SW for a while, the idea of an 8" fish in a 29g will sound insane. WAY too much bioload for a tank that size.
    thats the max size including its fanned tail. So in actuality, its a 5 inch fish with a thin tail that extends 3 more inches....towards the end of its life. And most websites I am reading are saying 30-55 they do well in. So have any of you personally owned a dwarf lion or just, you wouldnt house a fish of that size in a 29? (I wish I waited and went for a 55 reef :()

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have never had one, but from what I have heard they are poop-machines. So keeping your tank algae free could be a challenge.

If you are going to do a reef tank, you really want your tank to be as clean as possible. So IMO, you are just better off going with small fish and a light bioload. It will just make your life easier...especially at the beginning.
    40g SW

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Most predators such as lionfish (even dwarfs) produce huge amounts of waste which could potentially crash your tank........

It is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you were really strict on heavy skimming and large weekly water changes

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You should have gotten a 30g instead of using a 29g since it's longer and would be able to properly house a dwarf since I think the tank is about 6 inches longer.

I plan on doing a 55g FOWLR with about 4 fish with heavy bioloads and I don't want to skimp on the protein skimmer so I'm def going with a Reef Octopus.
    Last edited by saix88; 06-15-2009 at 03:50 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by saix88
    You should have gotten a 30g instead of using a 29g since it's longer and would be able to properly house a dwarf since I think the tank is about 6 inches longer.

I plan on doing a 55g FOWLR with about 4 fish with heavy bioloads and I don't want to skimp on the protein skimmer so I'm def going with a Reef Octopus.
    i think i may be getting a single frogfish. No lion anymore. I have months of research of fish before I decide 100 percent on one.