· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: 'feelers'

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default 'feelers'

0 Not allowed!
    my pearl gouramis feelers seem to of gone some what weaker and hair like at the end tips. any idea what this is ? do they fall off and re-grow?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Howdy neighbor ! - Algenco   Thanks mate - Tolley   Merry Christmas! :) - KrytterKrys   Happy New Year! - Northernguy   Welcome back! - Northernguy   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Gayle   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gayle   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Gayle   Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Gayle   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Gayle   

0 Not allowed!
    Humm IDK! I know that my Gouramis have lost them or broke them in fights and they DO grow back. Would you please check your water for me and let me know the nitrates, nitrites, pH, etc............... Also give me the tank details. I will be glad to see what I can figure out.
    Gayle

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals"
    Sir Winston Churchill
    For info on endangered species:
    http://www.iucnredlist.org/
    For cool images/weather info:
    http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    As they grow they feelers will break off at the end. its happened to mine since i got them and when you look at them you can sometimes see little bent spots where its going to break. they grow back and the gouramis dont mind so i assume its a natural thing. maybe they use them to find food (like catfish whiskers) and the nerve receptors on the ends get damaged and to replace them it just falls off maybe?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Welcome to the board! - Mith   Thanks for speaking your mind even though you are new - William   Congrats on the awards! - Jaster   Thanks! Heres on for you too :) - iZinedane   

0 Not allowed!
    These little guys are amazing when you think about it in how they have adapted over the centuries. Because they naturally live in murky and often stagnant water, they developed the labyrinth organ to help get more oxygen and their pectoral fins also changed shape becoming long/thin strands which we call feelers and they do use them to help see and find food by feeling along the substrate etc. and also used to judge distance as katze said similar to how cats use their whiskers. They also use them when sparing with other gouramis.

I have read that you shouldn't buy a gourami if its feelers are totally bent, as this can be a handicap to them.... Most gouramis I have seen often have a little bend in their feelers. It can mean they have been lacking in vitamins at some stage as well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift! - Northernguy   Welcome to the board! - Mith   Thanks for speaking your mind even though you are new - William   Congrats on the awards! - Jaster   Thanks! Heres on for you too :) - iZinedane   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Embers
    their pectoral fins also changed shape becoming long/thin strands which we call feelers
    I'm sorry! I made a Boo Boo and it should read Pelvic fins not pectoral fins.

Side note: This is one thing that really yurks me...not having enough time to edit posts!
    Last edited by Little Embers; 05-31-2009 at 01:49 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for playing Mafia 6.0 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    yep if your gourami has the right peramiters those feelers will grow right back :] ps check out gourami fin for mour details
    55 gallon Community
    4 dojo loaches
    3 sailfin mollies
    10 gallon Utility tank
    6 neon tetras to keep it cycled
    1 gallon Fry tank
    3 sailfin fry
    2 guppy fry

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thanks for all your advice - rangur1   No Message - rangur1   

0 Not allowed!
    what kind of companion fish are in this tank and what is tank size?