· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very impressive article angc84!

Just to clarify this paragraph though:
    Quote Originally Posted by angc84
    PS: More obsessive people like myself would buy an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kit, and do a water change when an unsafe level of each components is reached. However, it’s really unnecessary for you to get a test kit, unless you’d like to use it as a mini science project for your kids. Betta fish is hardy!
    Are you saying that is isn't important or needed to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? It may give the wrong impression and people won't bother testing at all. I feel that it is a crucial part of fishkeeping.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree. But I wrote the "guide" to my professor, who intends to keep one betta fish in a 2.5g tank. It's a bit harsh to ask him to make the (daily) water testing mandatory. The tank is not likely to have an ammonia/nitrite spike as long as he is feeding his fish minimally. Nitrate level should not overwhelm either, if he sticks to the weekly water change. It's a risky approximation, but one he is most likely going to do.

The "obsessed" part is merely a joke. I did not intend to down-play the importance of water-testing in that paragraph. I believe that fish-keeping comes with great responsibility.

Thanks for your criticism!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry! I did not mean it as a critism! I didn't mention that it had to be done daily...I was just concerned that there are some people out there that may read it and think it could apply to all fish tanks..

Again! it is a very impressive article and Thank You for taking the time to write it!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No No!
    I meant criticism in a good way! I criticize my mentor all the time at work. =)

Thank you very much for your support!

0 Not allowed!
    good job!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    quick question: do male betta's appreciate a "hidey hole" as much as some other smaller species?
    my two male bettas were my first fish, and i am steadily making improvements to their habitats to make them happier, which brings me back to my question...
    If I say something stupid, please give me moment. I will pro'lly top myself.

0 Not allowed!
    You forgot plants! :)

Bettas LOVE Java Moss and Marimo Moss Balls. Both of which help with water quality and Marimos supposedly help keep down algae by using up the nutrients that algae depends on.

Sark

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by iZinedane
    good job!
    Thanks!! xD

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbad-ratman
    quick question: do male betta's appreciate a "hidey hole" as much as some other smaller species?
    my two male bettas were my first fish, and i am steadily making improvements to their habitats to make them happier, which brings me back to my question...

I personally think that Bettas are VERY curious fish. They like to explore all areas of the tank. I think that adding a "hidey hole" is definitely a good idea, as long as it's not made of stacking rock which can potentially catch Bettas' fins. I think a tunnel would also be a good idea! My bettas love going in and out of small holes between decors. =D

I know how you feel about wanting to make your fish happier. =) My boyfriend thinks I am insane but I am constantly buying new tanks/heaters/filters/food/toys for my three happy boys...

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkazmo
    You forgot plants! :)

Bettas LOVE Java Moss and Marimo Moss Balls. Both of which help with water quality and Marimos supposedly help keep down algae by using up the nutrients that algae depends on.

Sark

I personally have never planted any of my tanks. I am very paranoid about decaying plant/possible ammonia spike. A tank with one single betta has a very small bio-load and...ahhh I am just paranoid. =)

Plants do help with water quality, though, as long as they are thriving. However, I've never had algae problem with my Betta tank. It's easy to control feeding since Bettas are usually in their own tank and are fed pellets. The lighting in my betta tanks are also monitored with timer and the tank does not come in contact with direct sunlight.

Don't get me wrong, though! I love the looks of real plants and envy you guys who keep your plants healthy and growing!

All in all, I am also new to this habit. Your input is gratefully accepted. =D