· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i checked out that video, but is there anyway that someone cast post some pics of this installed and working? id like to get a better look at it installed and details on what its hooked to

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by reds_21
    i checked out that video, but is there anyway that someone cast post some pics of this installed and working? id like to get a better look at it installed and details on what its hooked to
    It simply hooks to the tank rim and the HOB filter sits on top holding it in place. No adhesives needed, just gravity. :)

Here's a simple illustration that I've made. This is a tank from the side and I think it's pretty much self explanatory. The diverter will be mostly submerged. As the water spills out of the HOB into the diverter it swirls using up a lot of the flow's energy. The water then diverts out to the sides causing more surface agitation than the filter would on it's own. This has the effect of helping with the oxygenation of the water as the turbulence at the surface causes more oxygen to become disolved into the water. Not a bad side effect. :)

Sark

PS: Here's another video of an earlier version of the diverter but still the same principal.
    Last edited by Sarkazmo; 06-23-2009 at 08:37 PM.

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i see whats going on now, thank yo ufor that. i will definitley do this. as for the intake tube, what kind of media can you stuff in the bottom portion of the tube to lessen the intake pressure? i notice whn i feed the fish, most of teh food goes right in to the intake. (wasted food)

0 Not allowed!
    i see whats going on now, thank yo ufor that. i will definitley do this. as for the intake tube, what kind of media can you stuff in the bottom portion of the tube to lessen the intake pressure? i notice whn i feed the fish, most of teh food goes right in to the intake. (wasted food)
    I think that you'll see a difference when you get the diverter installed. It changes the currents in the tank so the food will go elsewhere. If it's still a problem you can use a prefilter sponge but the food will still get sucked toward it. The food just won't go into the filter, it'll stay on the surface of the sponge. Most people use these sponges to keep small fish, fry, and shrimps from getting sucked into the filter.

Here's a listing for the prefilter sponges on ebay, you can probably get them elsewhere though: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sponge-Filter-Special-Cherry-Crystal-Red-Shrimp-Deal_W0QQitemZ250307066315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3a4776b9cb&_trksid=p3286.c0 .m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240 %3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Sark

10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    awesome, thank you sark!!!

0 Not allowed!
    i notice whn i feed the fish, most of teh food goes right in to the intake. (wasted food)
    You can also use a floating feeding ring to keep food in place, provided the food also floats for a little while.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Very cool, some new twists on an idea and a great article. Now i have something to refer ppl to thats on site when i say "the soda bottle trick" and they come back with "..what.."

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This post helped me immensely. I was able to adapt the Soda Bottle to work on my 2 Aqueon 55 HOBs. I needed to divert the flow for the Angel I am putting in there. I made mine to attach to the HOB Cover and then slide all the way under the fliter coming up behind it. It leaves a smaller space for the fish to try and get in there. I am looking at using some plastic screws and nuts to attach this and make it a little more aesthetic. May even silicon the nuts to the cover so I don't have to worry about them falling off. Thanks for the inspiration.

21 Cockatiels, 7 Aquariums, 3 Cats , 2 Sugar Gliders

0 Not allowed!
    Excellent! I'm so happy that this thread is helping people out. :)

Sark

0 Not allowed!
    I was doing tank maintenance today and figured it was a good time to get a pic of the above described diffuser. The diffuser's been in use for several months now and Sancho's still happen with his lack of being blasted around by the filter output.

I put Java Moss on a bit of lava rock to help the diffuser do it's job. This also has the added benefit of all the water passing through the moss and being filtered by it as well. Some time ago I removed the bit of lava rock as the moss'd grown to the point of being able to withstand the flow without need of the weight of the rock.

Here it is today. The water's low as I was doing a water change but you can see how the moss has grown from all the nutrients. It's increased volume is also helping break up the flow just that much more. The weird thing is that the moss has actually grown to the plastic of the filter!!!

Sark