· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quikrete

1. Exclamation quikrete

0 Not allowed!
    Im in the process of making a 3d backround and thought i had extra quikrete. as it turns out i dont so i have to make a run to HD and pick up concrete and was woundering if quikrete it the best to use or if there is a better and safer product out there?
    Also has any one added color to their's cause i want to know how product to use and if it looks any better?
    Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    All I can say is what I've read on it and planned on doing it at one time myself. Quikrete is what is used. You apply first couple coats thin so you can get between everything good. Dry slowly by spraying with water. Don't dry by putting a fan on it or in the wind or sun. Couple days drying time.

Other (thicker) coats can then have concrete dyes added to them and again dried slowly and again sprayed with water often.

Don't apply the styrofoam tight to the edges of the tank so you can get in there to apply the concrete and not see the styrofoam from the side.

It takes several water changes to get pH back down and some will add a bunch of water conditioner salt to the water. It claims to help cure the concrete faster. By a lot, like a whole bag of salt.

That's all I know.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you very much I hope it turns put good.

0 Not allowed!
    Keep in mind also that concrete doesn't really "dry" as much as cure. That is why Lady Hobbs is suggesting to keep it wet, so that the cure is solid.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    I also should have said water softener salt, not water conditioner salt. doh!

Some just fill the tank with water, allow it to sit several days, do a large water change allowing it to sit again. Sometimes this needs to go on several days to get that pH down. Read that salt cures it faster but it's not needed.

6. Wink

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advise and I will keep it in my mind when I finally get around to finishing it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another type of concrete you can use is portlan (spelling?) cement. It is very fine and drys fast and extreamly hard. It is meant for topping or patching concrete and should give you a smooth not as rough finish. I used regular quick crete on my last project didnt want to spend 12$ on a 80lb bag. If you use quick crete you can take a screen and sift out all the larger rocks making is easier to apply. Home depot sells color for concrete that you add to tge mix for around 7$ for a 1lb bag that will color up to an 80lb bag of concrete.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigge3415
    Another type of concrete you can use is portlan (spelling?) cement.
    Ordinary Portland Cement is an ingredient in concrete.
    Concrete is a mix of cement, water, and aggregate.

The chemical reaction is exothermic and can get hot.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was a concrete finisher for 6 years and I know what I am talking about. If you ask for portland cement at youe local hardware store they will give u cement that is used for skimming or patching concrete. This conctete is extreamly hard usually around 12,000 psi while quick crete is only around 4,000 psi. If u choose to try portlan dont mix up to much is drys extreamly fast.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman
    Ordinary Portland Cement is an ingredient in concrete.
    Concrete is a mix of cement, water, and aggregate.

The chemical reaction is exothermic and can get hot.
    I am aware that portland is a component in concrete. If you ask for portland cement where you get your concrete they should point you to a mix made for patching and skimming concrete. That has very littlw aggregate in it. Which should result in a much smoother finish. I have not tried it first hand yet. Just speaking from past expirance finishing concrete.