· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy   Right on. - Wild Turkey   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   you need more gifts! - The Red Severum   

Default list of easy fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I think we should have a stick in the beginner section that has a list of easy fish to keep. We have something for fish beginners shouldn't have but it would be nice to know ones they should have.

All the fish should be able to be kept by somebody with no experience and they should be non aggressive and able to live comfortably in 10-20 gallons. Or we could have a list of fish for 5,10,20,30,50 gallons or something like that.

I do not think that there is a sticky like this but if there is and I somehow missed it please let me know.

What do you think should be on this list?

To start, something like this:

<2.5g
    • Ghost shrimp

2.5-5g
    • Betta

10g
    • Pygmy cories
    • Neon tetras
    • Cardinal tetras
    • Black neon tetras
    • Dwarf gourami
    • Guppies

20g
    • Most other Cories
    • Blackskirt tetras
    • Lemon tetras
    • Serpae tetras
    • Platies

And there is a lot more but I need to go somebody finish this!
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I think it totally depends on the persons water and their maintanence schedule. Like some do 10% water changes every two weeks and others do 60% weekly. Too many varibles here such as individual tank care, pH and hardness levels to have a basic list considered "easy".

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   For Your Green Efforts - MeganL3985   For your great posts! - alfcea   Feliz Navidad !!! - Alfcea   Thank you for always being willing and quick to help - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    I think any fish can be kept by a beginner as long as they do their research properly. I'm against always recommending livebearers for beginners. I started with them, but within two months I was totally bored with them and wanted to move on, and was then stuck with fish I found boring and didn't want, because I couldn't even give them away. It took several weeks before I found someone willing to take them.

I think rather than making a list of easy fish, we should recommend people reading up on different fish and finding out what THEY are interested in, rather than recommending the same fish for everyone.

Also, I think making a list of fish for beginners might give the impression that these don't require the effort put into making them happy like the more difficult kinds do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Sharkman   not exactly chloroform but close enough - wolf_eyes   For the tank!lol - Northernguy   Thanks for saving me from an ass whoopin'! - rageybug   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Left out the best one.

Zebra Danios are nearly unkillable :P
    Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a fish for your tank because you've been so patient with cycling - mommy1   Chill out with a beer after the longest fishless cycle ever!  You deserve it! - Fraoch   Congrats on the cycle!  Another little fish for a little tank! - Sir Tristen   Angel for your g/f, good luck keeping the 55! lol - Jaster   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    As opposed to easy, a more detailed appropriate tank size per species. I understand a lot has to do with tank mates etc but just a ball park figure of

"Minimum for an angel 29 on its own" something along those lines. I've noticed there wasnt clear cut info on Clown Loaches in the primer or the article. Esp the fish that one can have for a few years in a smaller tank, but then need a bigger one
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy   Right on. - Wild Turkey   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   you need more gifts! - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Well I know that when I was first here I wanted despately to know what some easy fish were. I had no idea on my options and I really wanted to know this kind of info so I could get a referance so I could read more on the fish there.

I did turn to asking for help but the process took a long time and there was a lot of guess work on my part. I would of preffered to pop in with a larger list of fish that I was intrested in.

I understand that a beginner can have almost any fish but some are far easier than others and as a beginner I really wanted to play it safe.

We also have a million people pop in with the question "What can go in my 2.5/5 gallon?"
    Last edited by Kaz; 05-22-2009 at 02:44 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    I disagree with neons and cardinals. Tjey are far from the hardiest fish out there. And I agree that we might look for interesting fish as well.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William
    I disagree with neons and cardinals. Tjey are far from the hardiest fish out there. And I agree that we might look for interesting fish as well.
    But do you like the idea?

I do not know that much about fish and I was rushed when typing this, so this more of a concept.

And of course my intention wasn't for this to be the be and end all, I was hoping somebody would see this, think about some of their options and then ask questions about that sort of tank setup.
    Last edited by Kaz; 05-22-2009 at 03:14 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here is a cuter version for you. - smaug   a cory for your latest sucess :) - graceluvsplatys   Great new tank,! Hope it brings you lots of M.T.S lol - Ryuu   Yay I got my first two awards! - Gemini   No Message - Wild Turkey   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Gemini   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Gemini   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Gemini   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Gemini   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gemini   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmmm I do like the idea - maybe we could refine it a tad. Like perhaps cookie cutter set ups with water change requirements, substrates, etc.

So for example:
    1G-5G tanks
    Very small for most fish.
    Good shrimp tanks.
    Water changes of at least 25% weekly - keeping levels to 0,0 <20ppm could be:
    - 20 cherry shrimp
    &
    - 5 ghost shrimp
    OR
    100 cherry shrimp

5G tank
    With weekly water changes of at least 25% - levels kept to 0,0 <20ppm
    You can keep:
    - Betta
    - Apple Snail

29G tank
    All suggestions are based on a weekly maintenance schedule of 25% water changes and at least a 60G filter.
    - pair rams
    - 6 x corydoras
    - 6 x tetras
    - need soft substrate, PH 6.0-7.5 is best

**Not accurate fish numbers just examples**
    It would take a bit of work though, and it would never be all inclusive. But I do like the idea.
    Fish are friends, not an expendable entertainment device!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys,

This idea of a list of fish for beginners is great idea, but IMO and IME it is very hard to do. I am with Hobbs, and her point.

I think it totally depends on the persons water and their maintanence schedule. Like some do 10% water changes every two weeks and others do 60% weekly. Too many varibles here such as individual tank care, pH and hardness levels to have a basic list considered "easy".
    This really is a hard one. Really I am for more trying to get people to research before doing anything with fish. But mind you that can be hard to do. Because not every-one researches first.

I think if a sticky was to be made, maybe there should be something much more in your face, than a sticky. Because to be blunt there is a lot of Stickies in the forum, and IMO another sticky would just be another sticky, cluttering up space.

So I am more for just constantly placing research before you by.

With this in mind, the idea with a stocking and list of fish is. Good and would be great use. But mind you it is hard to do with all types of water conditions and variouse other factors. So IMO I think the option is out.

mac

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast