· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D40

Default Nikon D40

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all

Ive got a bad case of the wants after a recent trip to Target and playing with a Nikon D40 a little. Just looking at it...I can tell its gonna take some stunning photos. I dont know much about SLRs...like what the difference is between an SLR and my Kodak Z712IS really is, I noticed the little wheel where you choose your photo options is very similar to my camera. Also the camera is only a 6.1MP...whats the real difference between that and a higher MP model? Now most of my photography is going to come from my aquariums, with the occassional random sceneory andof course pet pics. Really nothing hardcore Im just looking for a leap in quality of what pictures I take. The lense that comes with it is an 18-55mm...in lamens terms is that good for what I want to do? I see that you can also get a 55mm-200mm lense...would I ever really need that? It is a farily large purchase that I probably wont be making until mid summer as *gasp* I have to buy another canister for my 150G and a new light for my 55G first I ask here as I know of a couple of members that use Nikons and SLRs...thanks for any help you give
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I own a Nikon D40X and I think it's a fantastic digital camera. I just posted a few shots I took in the photo forum, thought that's not set to the specifications in the "How to..." thread and they're not the best example of the camera's work. It's easy to use and takes some nice shots when you put the effort into learning the settings and capabilities. It's outfitted with some great stuff and I think it would be a great start for anyone wanting to photograph anything. You'll only need the basic stuff if you're just going to shoot your fish but perhaps a little time with the camera and you'll find yourself wanting a few more accessories to get the shots you want. I highly recommend it, to put it simply, at least for what you want to accomplish.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that I have also looked at the D60, which is about 100bucks more for the kit had has a 10.something MP instead of the 6.1. Is it worth it? I want the camera to last me for atleast a couple of years, as spending this much on one I dont want to buy one again for a good while.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have the D40x which is also 10.2 mp. I don't know what the other differences are between the D40x and D60. I say definitely go for a higher mp, 10.2 is fairly high if not one of the highest these days, though I can't say for sure as I don't look at new cameras very often. I'd say look at either the D40x or the D60 or any variable of it.

With Nikon it's really hard to go wrong, I'd say it's your safest decision in the camera department these days. I don't know what Kodak is doing but they've always been the first choice for film, not cameras (At least for me.) I say forget about Fujifilm completely, I had a digital point-and-shoot a few years from them and it was just terrible from the picture quality to the camera's functionality. So you are definitely making a wise decision and I see the D40x or D60 can be had for around $500 on Amazon.com

0 Not allowed!
    The extra megapixels are only going to be of use if you are printing large format or are going to be cropping shots heavily.
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    My eyes couldn't tell the difference between 6 and 10. Like gm72 says, if you're going to produce large format prints (8 x 10 or larger), then the 10 woulld give you sharper, clearer prints. But on a computer screen, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The 18-55mm lense is a good multipurpose lens. If you need 55mm - 200mm for telephoto pictures, you could pick that up at a later time. I'll bet the 18 - 55mm will be the lense you use the most.
    Last edited by Taurus; 05-18-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome thanks everyone Ive always bought really simple point and shoot style digitals...but I hear that these Nikon D40s and D60s are good for first time SLR people as they can be really easy to use right out of the box but you can get in there and tweek stuff to suit more advanced camera people. Guess we'll find out tho :)

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with it Jenn. I have a lot of experience with SLRs before they became digital. My first SLR was a Canon AE-1. Revolutionary camera for the time. Now I have a pretty nice Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3s...but I CAN'T FIND THE UBS CABLE. Guess I gotta order a new one.

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    D40 is a nice camera but the low end of the Nikon DSLR line is well beyond that now. The D40 does not work with all Nilon lenses, it is well worth going abit further up the chain. A Nikon D80 in good shaped used would be a much better choice in my opinion.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. You can buy used and\or refurbished for a lot less.