· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

LadyHobbs - Lady Hobbs   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   For your great pieces of advice! - Alfcea   Flounder! - jaysee   Thank you for the help on the plants! - angc84   

Cool Postal's 20 gallon long

0 Not allowed!
    Introduction
    Well I am finally getting around to putting this tank together and have entered it into the tank competition. So I figured I would document my progress, successes and failures.

My plans are for a tiger barb colony. They were my first fish before I gave them up due to only having a 5 gallon tank and have always wanted them again. The tank will be heavily planted with various plants since I find that live plants are a great nutrient balancer in the aquarium. I found some cool pieces of driftwood along the river by my house and the lake at my girlfriend's parents house.

I have a fully cycled Eheim on my 10g that I will use to instant cycle this tank so the tank should be hitting the ground running and fully stocked in a few days.

Equipment
    20 gallon long AGA
    Eheim 2213
    9W inline UV
    Hydor 200W inline heater
    40lbs Eco-complete
    48W Hagen GLO T5HO dual strip lighting w/ 6700K bulbs
    DIY CO2

Planned Stocking
    6-7 Tiger Barbs
    3 Male platys
    Some type of shrimp for substrate cleaning

Plant List: Sure to change
    Rotala indica
    microsword
    ludwigia
    anubias nano petite
    hygrophilia corymbosa
    Plus any others that strike my eye

The tank with the Eco-Complete(note the coathanger and spatula substrate scaping tools):

More pictures to come and thanks for looking.
    55g: Future home of a green terror and 2 convicts
    29g: Convicts, tiger barbs, corys, snails
    29g: 3 fancy goldfish
    5g: Betta

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

LadyHobbs - Lady Hobbs   Happy Easter! - Northernguy   For your great pieces of advice! - Alfcea   Flounder! - jaysee   Thank you for the help on the plants! - angc84   

0 Not allowed!
    Went to "That Fish Place" today and it was a mecca for fish. Everything you think you need and even things you didn't know you need, they have. Their fish were overall much healthier looking than the other LFS I go to. It seemed they had several employees whose job it was to just clean tanks, acclimate fish and other house keeping. Too bad its an hour drive or I would be frequenting it more often. I ended up picking up 5 Tiger barbs, 2 green tigers and 4 cherry shrimp for the tank. Also got an API Master kit for $19.99. Seeded the filter with media from my other filter and plopped the fish in. They are all doing great.

Picked up some plants: rotala, a sword, and a tiger lotus. Tank still needs more plants. My driftwood seems to have some white fuzz growing on it but if it gets worse I can move my otos over into the tank.

I am rethinking moving the platys into the 20g since the tank looks great with just the tigers so I will probably move the cory into the 20g and give him some friends.

And finally the pictures:

FTS pre-plant

My tiger barbs:

FTS w/ some plants:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow great start. How is that eco complete working water wise? Do you see any white particles in it? Will look awesome once those plants start growing in.
    10g- 5 diamond tetra, 1 oto, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 assassin snail and 2 blue shrimp. Heavily planted tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Z Fish Man
    Wow great start. How is that eco complete working water wise? Do you see any white particles in it? Will look awesome once those plants start growing in.
    What do the white particles look like? The water is still cloudy at the moment since I only filled it today but I haven't seen anything I would call particles. My eheim has filter floss in it so I hope it will clear up the water in a day or two.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

time for some gifts - Lady Hobbs   fish for your new tank - Lady Hobbs   more - Lady Hobbs   Congratulations on cycling! - fins_n_fur   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    Tank is looking awesome! I love the driftwood I'll definitely be keeping up on this one
    75 Gallon Malawi

35 Gallon Juvie Demasoni

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tristen
    Tank is looking awesome! I love the driftwood I'll definitely be keeping up on this one
    Thanks! And that driftwood was all free, found on the banks of the river by my house and the lake my girlfriend's parents' house is on. Floats like a cork though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Winner of my drunken thread, sorry :) - Marty   You needed a gift! - Agassizii   Thanks! - Northernguy   MAFIA 2.0 Thanks for playing! - The Red Severum   A new guppy:) - HorrorShowRot   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - iZinedane   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - iZinedane   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - iZinedane   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - iZinedane   

0 Not allowed!
    nice tank
    makes me want to buy a 20 gallon tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Other(more distant) Ohio buddy! - AABatteries   You get one anyway! Thanks - Wild Turkey   For all the gifts you are making! - William   Great gift contributions! - Northernguy   thanks for the gifts - William   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BowlerGT   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - BowlerGT   

0 Not allowed!
    good start for the competition, love the black gravel always wanted to use it
    55 Gallon Freshwater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I am sorry for jumping to conclusions! - Gayle   Just because!!! - Mith   Happy Birthday - Celtic Fins   Happy Birthday! - KingFisher   Happy birthday - Jaster   

0 Not allowed!
    Tank is looking great!! Good luck in the comp!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice setup, wish I could find some affordable pieces of driftwood here. Those shrimp I'm afraid are gonna end up as food for your barbs.