· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Is this normal, Parrot question

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. Here is a question for all of you who keep parrots. MY parrot want to sleep under the bed. At night it want to be but on the floor and then runs in under the bed. It stays there until we wake up (unlock the bedroom door) at which point it comes running and yells to be picked up. If I put it in a higher position in the bedroom it flies down and runs in under the bed.

Is this normal. Shouldn't parrots want to sit high where it is safe from snakes etc.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy Active! - Wild Turkey Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^ 
    Thanks! - Wild Turkey Merry Christmas! To a fishy kind of person! - LORENZO Happy Holidays! - Wild Turkey Happy Holidays! - Brookfish Merrryyyyy Christmas to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - LORENZO 
    Thanks for the nom! - Northernguy Goodluck with the betta breeding! - Demi ^_^ You need a clown loach. - troy Why ask why?  Just love this little guy!... LOL - Mith Good luck with your Sals. - Celtic Fins 
    Thank you! - Northernguy Celebrate your award - Jellygirl I love piggies and you only have on.  Now you have a friend for it! - Mith Sorry to hear about your clown! - Brookfish Happy birthday have a great day - Celtic Fins 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm out on a limb here, William, as I haven't had birds for long, and I have no large birds. I have been doing a LOT of reading, however...and birds seem to prefer a very secure place for sleeping. Maybe under the bed provides cover, and he feels safer....
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Howdy neighbor ! - Algenco Thanks mate - Tolley Merry Christmas! :) - KrytterKrys Happy New Year! - Northernguy Welcome back! - Northernguy 
    Happy Easter - Northernguy Congrats on your award! - Brookfish Your the best - The Red Severum one more! - The Red Severum Why not! - Wild Turkey 
    For always being so helpful! Thanks! - Northernguy Congrats on your awards. - Brookfish Save a beta ? lol - Northernguy thanks for the help, and support - mac you get one of these after a dr. visit - mommy1 
    Thanks for the rep. - Celtic Fins Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Thanks for your continued help! - robflanker Sorry about your lost. - Boertjie HIGHEST POSTER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum 
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - Gayle Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Gayle Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Gayle Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Gayle Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Gayle 

0 Not allowed!
    I think Sharon is right. Birds like to be secure, and the bird is very attached to you. So to it under your bed is perfect place. I do not think I would let him do that though. I would cage him at night for his own safety. (even if he does not like it at first, cover the cage, he will get used to it)
    Gayle

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals"
    Sir Winston Churchill
    For info on endangered species:
    http://www.iucnredlist.org/
    For cool images/weather info:
    http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/

0 Not allowed!
    That more or less what I have been thinking but I wanted to know if more people have this experince.

I have tried caging him. Doesn't work. He squezes through the bars. Covering it up doesn´t help. Haven't been able to find a cage with smaller bars yet. But I am building a 60 or 100 square ft aviary within two weeks so he will have a better place to sleep after that.

What can I say. He is allready very spoiled.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi William!

I have cockatiels - nothing large, but I have to agree with the others here. I think he feels secure under your bed so that's where he goes. I also agree that that could be a safety issue. You might try to find him a small cage - even one made for smaller birds that he uses just for sleeping (cover it too) and if he's happier sleeping in your bedroom you could leave that cage in your room at night - just to make him feel secure.

I know all about spoiled birds! Personally I wouldn't have it any other way!

Good luck!
    21 Cockatiels - 7 aquariums - 2 Sugar Gliders - 3 Cats

Whatever the problem is - reboot it or do a water change on it.

Rebellion against tyranny is obedience to God. - Thomas Jefferson

Awards Showcase

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy Right on. - Wild Turkey Congrats on your award! - Brookfish you need more gifts! - The Red Severum 
    I hope your nose is okay! :) - invadertoast Thanks for the PM - William Official Muskateer Symbol - The Red Severum BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum FUNNIEST POSTER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum 
    thanks - mommy1 MAFIA 2.0 Thanks for playing! - The Red Severum Kaz: Supreme Predictor - robflanker congratulations for your awards - mommy1 thanks for the game - mommy1 
    Fun game! - KingFisher I just won the lottery! - Lab_Rat Have a pig - Agassizii for being a good guy - The Red Severum congratulations! - KingFisher 

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe there would be a way to make a 'safe spot' under the bed.

That'd be nice.
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!

0 Not allowed!
    The bed pretty much is a safe spot. There are no cables or electricity there. Everything is much higer up and wall into a brick wall. I will worka little harder on the aviary to get it finished as soon as possible and until then I let him sleep there.

The assortment of cages here is very small and I have the smallest one but he still fits through. If I want a smaller on I have to build one.

The other birds have no trouble sleeping in cages.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    The other birds have no trouble sleeping in cages.
    Just be thankful the parrot doesn't insist on sleeping on the bed...
    We have 2 dogs. The older male (Lab/mix) was crate trained as a puppy w/out any problems. The female (Shepherd/wolf) was another story. I put her in the kennel, walked out of the room, and she had opened the door and escaped before I got 3 steps past the door. Short of using a padlock there was no way she would stay in there. She's almost too smart sometimes, spoiled rotten and not worth a darn now.

0 Not allowed!
    I am not complaining. It is very practical just a bit odd. (not as practical as a cage that worked would be but practical. Especially as he keeps quite until I actually go up regardless of light etc.