· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A sand Article

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In response to the boiling the sand... this is some peoples personal preferance. I personally have never gone as far as to boil it myself. But I do take a 5 gallon bucket fill it half full of sand and continually fill the bucket with water rinse the sand and dump out the water. It takes me about 2 hours to completely rinse a bag of play sand so that it doesn't cloud my tank every time I stir it up.

And in response to the Pool filter sand. Essentially its just Silica sand. Its widely used in the aquarium hobby, and much prefered by most people. I used it in my 175g african cichlid tank, along with crushed coral to buffer the Ph. Instead of buying it at the LFS next time find your local pool sales place and just purchase it through them you will save a lot more money that way.

0 Not allowed!
    Must admit I have sand in both my tanks, and never had any probs, my fish love it, they dig it up and its never the same each day, I have 2 freshwater mussels and they love digging and hiding in it.

I also have no probs with plants in it, I dig them in well, But I have prob about 6inch depth of sand in places where the fish have dug it, the floaty plants, getput nest to my hardscape and there roots dug under the rocks.

I dont have any problems with it getting everywhere.

And when I had loaches and corys on gravel, then moved to sand they looked healthier and their barbel grew big

Liz

edited to add, I rinse in the bath, I put sandin big bucket and run the shower constanly though it while stiring the sand
    [url=http://www.fishyeggs.com/levelup.php?id=131][img]http://www.fishyeggs.com/get/131.gif[/community of guppies and b/n plecs [/COLOR]

Tank 2, 60L 2ft tank, Pair of blonde red guppies (guppy mating breeding project)

Tank 3 Nano Reef in recovery 23ishg 1 Cardinal 1 twotoned blenny

AUTISM "If you think I have my hands full, You should see my heart "

Awards Showcase

For your generosity! - Sir Tristen Thanks! - Wild Turkey Because your cool :) LOL - lovleeko Thought you could use some good algae. Is there such a thing. LOL - lovleeko stocking Rams - Algenco 
    reducing my stock - Algenco don't want to be overstocked - Algenco More algae for your BN's - toddnbecka Something for your tank,  and for being a good sport. - Brookfish Congratulations on your awards - Celtic Fins 
    Happy Easter! - Northernguy thanks for the help and the encouragement - mommy1 have a happy easter banana - mommy1 thanks for the rep, sorry it's late! - lucyinthesky You need another! lol - Northernguy 
    Congrats on your award! - Brookfish for all the encouragment - mommy1 Glad the surgery went well!!! - Gayle No Message - mommy1 Glad you came through the op ok mate! - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - bushwhacker 

0 Not allowed!
    i have 3 tanks with sand 100,75, and 55... the 75 and 55 are pretty well planted not really massive growth but they do grow fairly well i dont do ferts or co2
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
    RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    IME almost every single problem people have with sand is due to the type of sand and not sand in general.

The sand I use comes in multiple colors and I use either solid black or black and white mixed. Light colored backgrounds and substrates will cause fish to wash out their colors to try and match it. This is why I use black backgrounds and dark or black substrates. They darken their colors to try to match so reds are redder, blues are bluer, etc. There is actually a measurable increase in the pigmentation with darker backgrounds. Fish not only seem more colorful but actually are physiologically.

My plants have always done well to too well in the sand I use. It is inert but I enrich it with root tabs.

My cories have never had any issues (neither have my loaches, spiney eels, catfish, bichirs, goldfish, the stingrays at the store I was running, or anything else).

The sand I use is very uniform in size and sinks very quickly when moved by cichlids, goldfish, etc. This means that for it to be an issue with filters the fish have to spit it right into the intake.

Some silica-based sands can cause horrible brown algae problems. The one I use has a polymer coating that prevents this.

IME sand is much easier to maintain, effectively maintenance-free. I will never use gravel ever again except in cases of fish so large it simply isn't practical (pacus, big catfish, etc.).

Sand is the most natural substrate available. Effectively all of the fish we keep in the hobby are from waters that move too slowly for gravel to be the substrate. The substrate is sand or finer (the finer being silt or mud, both impractical in the hobby for almost everyone).
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    "On a final not(e) I will mention Dead Pockets. These are areas that form in sand that aren’t circulated by the water. They are usually oxygen deprived and have no anaerobic bacteria. So the sand should be sifted on a regular basis."

Boy, did I learn this lesion the hard way! Lost a lot of fish! I too use sand (play) and it is fairly fine (I washed it a min of six times! to remove the ultra fine particles.)

That said, I discovered that a heavily planted tank has a huge down side- I did not stir the sand due to extensive root systems and boy, after a year or so, the sand became toxic! (even killed off most of my plants)

Live and learn - I am trying a new method. I added an UG filter plate that has power heads running in reverse. This drives water through the sand keeping it clean (waste can't get down into it.) I have a normal canister filter filled with noodles and I added a biowheel to further improve bio-action.

The UG is not and will not be used as my filter, it just automaticly "stirs" the sand and boy, does it work! Whether it works in the long run I'll see but boy, does it keep waste out of the top sand layer and (I hope) may keep "pockets" of dead space from forming and allowing deadly bacteria to grow on the fish liquid waste that would normally diffuse down into the sand.
    Last edited by Cermet; 03-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have white play sand for my cories, causes them no damage what so ever.

I've had a planted sand tank, had excellent growth.

White play sand can stress some fish to where they wash out their colouring, their washout hd nothing to do with water parameters. I changed the white sand over to black sand, and now their colours look awesome!

In the tank i use sand i have malaysian trumpet snailsw, they keep the sand aerated, no bad pockets

White play sand is cheap as here. Black quartz sand not so cheap.

Silica sands usually do cause diatom outbreaks
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    That cleared up alot of questions I had, Thanks for being very informative!
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15

0 Not allowed!
    This was a 2 yr old thread that returned from the dead but glad it did because I learned a lot since then and don't use sand at all anymore. Don't like it at all.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I mixed Flourite with Tahitian Moon Sand from CaribSea Super Naturals and not only did a bunch of my plants die but the plants that propagate via runners did absolutely nothing.

So this whole thing about mixing sand with plant substrate seem like misinformation to me.
    ()_()
    (•_•)
    d__b

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't be so quick to blame the sand mix, and thus judge the info as incorrect.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown