· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A sand Article

Hybrid View

1. Default A sand Article

0 Not allowed!
    Sand is becoming increasingly popular in aquariums.
    Sand however can have negative effects on some fish. A lot of fish will blanch their colors to blend into the sand more. This makes them less colorful and less active. Many aquarists also use it for their Coryadoras. But this can cause rashes and sores on the Coryadoras soft underbelly since it is very abrasive, a good alternative to sand for Coryadoras is leaf matter since that is their natural habitat. However some fish do enjoy sand in their aquarium. African species are an example of this. Some fish also need it to aid in their digestion.
    Sand is not recommended in planted aquariums. It is very light and easily kicked up. So plants have a hard time staying rooted. However there are a few sands that are enriched in nutrients on the market today. These are made heavier to hold the plants better.
    Sand will also get anywhere and everywhere. So you should put a sponge over the Filter intake so sand does not destroy the impeller. It will also get on decorations and plants. So you may have to frequently brush off any decorations.
    There are several types of sand that you can find at any hardware Store;
    -Silica Sand- You can usually get a 100 pound bag of this for 8-10 US dollars. Itís easy to clean but very light. Its color is a real light tan and would be perfect for an African Cichlid tank.
    -Play Sand- It is similar to Silica except a bigger grain, dirtier, and a little more expensive.
    -Pool filter Sand- Is a little more expensive but is very clean. Itís similar to Silica Sand in size and weight but is whiter. Also a good choice for an African Cichlid tank.
    There are also several other kinds of Sand you can buy at your lfs. They are more expensive but donít need cleaning. They also come in a large variety of colors and sizes to suit your wants. Some of these are:
    -Coral Sand-This is meant more for marine aquariums but can be used in fresh. It will Increase your water hardness which will buffer your PH. So if youíre looking for a stable PH this is a good choice.
    -Aragonite Sand- Is similar to Coral sand and is available in many different colors. The downside is it is very expensive.
    - Nutrient Enriched Sands- These vary in color but are enriched with nutrients beneficial to plants. They are usually heavier than other sands and good for plants.
    To wash Sand:
    -Get a 5g bucket
    -fill it about a quarter to half way full.
    -Rinse with water until it all settles in 5 minutes
    *Not recommended to do indoors.
    On a final not I will mention Dead Pockets. These are areas that form in sand that arenít circulated by the water. They are usually oxygen deprived and have no anaerobic bacteria. So the sand should be sifted on a regular basis.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great Job OscarFan!! That was what I call "A Great Read".

0 Not allowed!
    Great article!
    75G Coldwater Setup (May 2011)
    Angelfish Fry Development Project

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    good write up!

0 Not allowed!
    Great job - nice write up
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

0 Not allowed!
    I don't want this to sound wrong and sound like nothing but negative, there are some very good points in this. That being said, in the interest of having accurate information posted here, there are some things that do need to be pointed out and corrected.

A lot of fish will blanch their colors to blend into the sand more. This makes them less colorful and less active.
    The sand has very little to do with colors being bleached out. The "bleaching" out of fish is a result of poor diet, poor water quality, and stress. The sand itself is not responsible for loss of color. If sand is not maintained properly then the water quality will suffer and the fish will become stressed and blanch out, but that is not the fault of the sand.

Many aquarists also use it for their Coryadoras. But this can cause rashes and sores on the Coryadoras soft underbelly since it is very abrasive,
    This is true of some sands, but not all. The biggest issue with abrasive sands and Corydoras is actually their barbells. Abrasive sands will actually wear down their barbells and seriously deminish their ability to sense food.

a good alternative to sand for Coryadoras is leaf matter since that is their natural habitat.
    In addition to this, a soil substrate will also suit them fine as well, however it can be a bit messy. The leaves are a very good choice though.

Sand is not recommended in planted aquariums. It is very light and easily kicked up. So plants have a hard time staying rooted.
    Sand is an excellent choice for planted aquariums. Not all sands are very light(not just the nutrient enriched ones) and easily kicked up and plants root just fine in sand. In fact, sand will hold plants down better than some gravels out there. The fine material allows for it to compact more.

Sand will also get anywhere and everywhere. So you should put a sponge over the Filter intake so sand does not destroy the impeller. It will also get on decorations and plants. So you may have to frequently brush off any decorations.
    This greatly depends on the kind of fish you have and the amount of flow you have in your tank as well. I have had a few tanks with sand in them and none of this has ever been an issue for me.

-Silica Sand- You can usually get a 100 pound bag of this for 8-10 US dollars. Itís easy to clean but very light. Its color is a real light tan and would be perfect for an African Cichlid tank.
    Actually, Silica sand is not perfect for a Rift Lake Cichlid tank. It is much too light and it does not provide any kind of buffering for the water.

-Play Sand- It is similar to Silica except a bigger grain, dirtier, and a little more expensive.
    Price isn't really much different. $3.50 for a 50lb bag.

-Pool filter Sand- Is a little more expensive but is very clean. Itís similar to Silica Sand in size and weight but is whiter. Also a good choice for an African Cichlid tank.
    Not a bad choice for a Rift Lake Cichlid tank, but again, not the best choice for one.

-Aragonite Sand- Is similar to Coral sand and is available in many different colors. The downside is it is very expensive.
    Now this is the perfect sand for a Rift Lake Cichlid tank. A coarser grain Aragonite will provide something heavy enough that it will not always be suspended in the water column, and it is also a good grain for the cichlids to pick up in their mouth to aid in digestion. Furthermore, this sand will buffer your water to near Rift Lake conditions.

A note about washing. When preping sand for a freshwater tank, all sands should be rinsed, not just the ones from the hardward store. Even Coral Sand and Aragonite will have dust that will stay suspended in the water column.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for patching my wholes ILMGB. Some of this is from my personal experience, so it may vary for other people. From my experience every fish I have had that had sand in the tank have lost color. But food and water quality do play a role in color as you said.
    For Plants I have had nothing but trouble keeping them rooted(plastic+real) might be my planting ability though
    And play sand is more exspensive here but I live in a remote place so my prices always vary alot compared to others.
    Also forgot to add be careful with sand and acrylic tanks. It tends to scratch easily.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info Oscarfan!
    the statement below is false
    the statement above is true
    which one is true?
    Got a small tank? Check out Fishalicious' small fish list! http://fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com...-for-nano.html
    Got a big fish you just can't handle? Check out Monster Fish Rescue! http://www.monsterfishrescue.com/

0 Not allowed!
    Great info from you both!!! Very helpful
    75 gallon project
    45 gallon community