· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Merlin's Fin Rot

0 Not allowed!
    This is my first betta that I have actual care information but I have a question about fin rot. I tried googling but couldn't find anything. I have treated Merlin for a couple of days and been doing water changes. How long do I keep doing this. I was looking at his tail and it isn't getting any worse. Do I just keep medicating until his tail starts growning back?

Thank you!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by knttnkitty
    This is my first betta that I have actual care information but I have a question about fin rot. I tried googling but couldn't find anything. I have treated Merlin for a couple of days and been doing water changes. How long do I keep doing this. I was looking at his tail and it isn't getting any worse. Do I just keep medicating until his tail starts growning back?

Thank you!!
    You can stop on the meds, but keep up on the water changes to keep the water nice and pristine for him. Clean water is what he needs now. You probably want to do water changes every few days for a while.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I used beta fix and water changes to help out mine.It worked great.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your help. A very long time ago I had a poor betta and it had died with fin rot. Didn't know he was sick and that was back in the day of glass jars. I can't believe that I put that poor fish through that horrible life. At least I know better now.

Now I need to get my niece to put hers in a filtered, heated tank. She was keeping him in her school locker. Now he is at home in a bigger jar. I will keep working on my sister to get her to move him to a bigger tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That is what I am using. Great stuff.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    You could always buy her a used ten gallon complete on Craig's list for her birthday.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by knttnkitty

Thank you!!
    I'd treat for longer than a couple of days. What med are you using? If I remember correctly, both Melafix and Pimafix are 7 or 10 day treatments? I'd kill for a better memory!
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome - Algenco   PIZZAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sarkazmo   For buying an API test kit - gabbyguppy   No Message - Mith   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Melafix and Pimafix are both 7 day treatments and you should continue the treatment for 7 days if you've already started. It's not going to 'hurt' the fish or biofilter. Sancho's tail got shredded a bit the other day so I'm treating him right now with Melafix. His tail's growing back faster than I could've ever hoped for.

Oh! Make sure that you're feeding a really good diet right now as well. Live food or a dry like Hikari Betta Bio-Gold will give him the nutrition he needs to repair the damage.

Sark
    Last edited by Sarkazmo; 05-07-2009 at 11:19 PM.

1G Planted Betta tank, 1.5G Planted Betta tank, 10G Planted Swordtail Fry tank,
    10G Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dweller) tank. Empty/Work in Progress 135G, 40GB, 2 x 20GL, 2 x 10G
    My aquarium (and more) videos on YouTube

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your tank! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Off the top of my head I believe bettafix is also a 7 day treatment. Better safe than sorry, treat the full 7 days. I wouldn't risk stopping early then having it come back.
    5 gallon heat/filtered: Halfmoon Betta - Buddy
    3 gallon heat/filtered: Doubletail betta - Dude
    3 gallon heat/filtered: female betta - Ruby
    10 gallon heat/filtered: Deltatail Betta - Gabriel and 4 juli cory
    29 gallon community: 3 Albino Cory,5 Harlequin Rasbora, 6 Platy, 1 Balloon Molly, 1 Dwarf Neon Gourami
    38 Gallon S.A. cichlid community hybrid: 7 Bloodfin Tetra,4 Black Skirt tetra, 1 Bronze Cory, 2pr GBR (planned), 1 Angel

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My sister wouldn't like that. She had a 5 g before and she had problems. I tried telling her to do regular water changes but she never listens to me. Now she doesn't want any tanks. I told her I would be happy to come over and do all the cleaning for her but she still won't go for it.