· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your tank! - Northernguy   

Default Clown pleco died .... unsure of cause

0 Not allowed!
    Had a clown pleco in my 29 gallon tank. He was doing fine imo. He had a piece of driftwood and was receiving algae tabs as needed. The tank has some algae growth. I dont use live plants ... I have silk, so I was staggering my cleaning of the plants to leave some with algae in the tank at all times as well as leaving portions of tank glass unscrubbed to supply some algae. I went to work yesterday, he and the rest of the tank were fine. He was hanging out in the lava rock cave. When I came home I found him dead in the corner. No signs of a fight, pale in the face area - guessing that was the first stage of decomposition. Is it possible he choked on a piece of gravel while getting algae off? Tankmates are all community type, gourami,corys, platys and rasbora.

Had just taken readings that day and took them again after I pulled his body out: Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate- around 10 ... all basically good readings. PH was in the 7.0 range, alkaline just under moderate. Anything I might have missed that plecos specifically need? Now I'm a bit leery of getting another... I may just get more corys and deal with the algae the old fashioned way.
    5 gallon heat/filtered: Halfmoon Betta - Buddy
    3 gallon heat/filtered: Doubletail betta - Dude
    3 gallon heat/filtered: female betta - Ruby
    10 gallon heat/filtered: Deltatail Betta - Gabriel and 4 juli cory
    29 gallon community: 3 Albino Cory,5 Harlequin Rasbora, 6 Platy, 1 Balloon Molly, 1 Dwarf Neon Gourami
    38 Gallon S.A. cichlid community hybrid: 7 Bloodfin Tetra,4 Black Skirt tetra, 1 Bronze Cory, 2pr GBR (planned), 1 Angel

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here you go - KingFisher   here is one :) - The Red Severum   thank you - Lady Hobbs   BECAUSE YOUR COOL - waterhog   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    This is not what killed him but most of your fish need soft water. What type of gourami do you have? The same thing happened with my otto. I would get another pleco if I were you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The water hardness tests right at 75, which equates to soft. The gourami is a neon blue dwarf and from all my observations he has shown a very mild temperment. As long as he gets his share of the dinner, and I make sure he gets my first attention, he is fine. The corys will bounce off him when he gets in the way of where they want to go and he doesnt even react to them. I never saw him give the pleco a second glance. I may get one again but it may be a while until I see another that I think is healthy enough to get. This one was very vibrant in color and not a flaw to be found in finnage.
    Last edited by thrakuarium; 05-07-2009 at 09:39 PM.
    29 gallon community: 3 Albino Cory,5 Harlequin Rasbora, 6 Platy, 1 Balloon Molly, 1 Dwarf Neon Gourami
    38 Gallon S.A. cichlid community hybrid: 7 Bloodfin Tetra,4 Black Skirt tetra, 1 Bronze Cory, 2pr GBR (planned), 1 Angel

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here you go - KingFisher   here is one :) - The Red Severum   thank you - Lady Hobbs   BECAUSE YOUR COOL - waterhog   Merry Christmas - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe it was just his time. How long did you have him? How big was he? I would get a small group of them instead of a solitary one.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    He wasnt very old by my guess. Clown plecos get to about 3 inches and he was under 2. I personally had him about a month, and like I said, all was fine. That is why I'm led to believe it was something unusual such as inhaling and choking on a piece of gravel that killed him. There just wasn't any evidence I could see indicating a fight or disease. With a 29 gal tank, I dont know if a group would work. Finding a group in this area is also hard. Common plecos are everywhere, but clowns are hard to find.
    If I were to consider a group of algae eaters for my tank, the Oto's would probably be my first choice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I recomend the ottos. Did you see anything strange about the pleco?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy   Right on. - Wild Turkey   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   you need more gifts! - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes fish just die for no preventable reason.
    Last edited by Kaz; 05-09-2009 at 01:33 PM.
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    New tanks don't offer much food for pleco's and many will die if purchased too soon in a new setup. They should be given cucumbers, aglae pellets, shrimp pellets, etc, to keep them fed.

Clowns get around 5 inches as adults. You do not want more than one in your tank due to fighting between them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I went ahead and boosted my Albino cory from 3 to 6. They should be happier in this larger group. Didn't have cucumbers for the pleco, but he was getting algae tabs at all times and there was growth in the tank as well. As previously mentioned, I was being sure to leave algae available on plants and glass. In any event I think I'll wait a while before considering adding any algae eaters ,another clown or oto group, so the tank can continue to mature. I picked up some shrimp pellets for my corys so if I do add a pleco again he will have an added dietary choice. Thanks for the replies.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Only a few plecos eat algae! Most like veggies.Spinach,Romain lettuce,cucs,zuchinni...It may have starved to death!
    Algae wafers are more of a treat not a sustainable source of food! IMO
    How long did you have it?
    How long has your tank been running?
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html