· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default What killed my Bristlenose?

0 Not allowed!
    This is the second ancistrus I've lost in as many weeks. The first one was trapped in the filter so I assumed it just got trapped and died, but this one was sitting at the front of the tank. What do you think, disease or attack from another fish?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    48" long 200l/55g tank
    2000l/hr AquaOne Internal Filter
    8 zebra danios
    6 glowlight tetras
    8 cardinal tetras
    1 black molly
    4 swordtails, 3 female 1 male
    1 golden gourami
    1 pearl lace gourami

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas (it's the worlds smallest dwarf puffer) - Abbeys_Mom   Strawberry Daquari please....from Hobbs - hobbs   You need more good luck - hobbs   Because you are my hero! - f1oored   For your Dad - crackatinny   
    Childhood Cancer - kimmers318   

0 Not allowed!
    That poor pleco looks horrible, did it look like that before death or is that from other fish and the natural decaying process? His fins don't look healthy, gaps and such, he looks a tad skinny, and the tail looks chewed. If these guys are looking like this when you get them I would suggest staying away from purchase, if not, you need to figure out what is doing this to them. Plecos are some of the hardiest of fish, and they most certainly can withstand quite a bit of neglect and crap from other fish, but it takes time and patience to bring one back from damage. But it can be done......
    This is what my L.pardalis looked like when it was brought to me to "please save it before I kill it"

Barely any flesh on the poor thing, had been living on flake, never had food for her.
    Here she is several months later happily munching her zucchini

Good luck with future plecos, they are great to have as long as you get a healthy specimen and have room to house them. Of course the bristlies stay smaller making them the perfect choice for smaller aquariums
    Kimmer

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   No Message - 100gw   A treasure for a treasure - hobbs   you da' man!  jersey representin'!  lol - jeffs99dime   for identifying my catfish! - hobbs   
    Childhood Cancer - 100gw   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - 100gw   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - 100gw   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - 100gw   

0 Not allowed!
    What are your water parameters? What did you feed him? How often? I dont think your other fish would have attacked him.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Water parameters are:
    ph 6.4
    ammonia trace
    nitrates trace

He was feeding mostly off the algae in the tank with some supplemental algae tablets.
    He looked fine until I came home yesterday. The poor skin condition is either predation or disease, not sure which. But before yesterday there was no sign of disease, maybe just a bit sluggish, but he's a catfish so it's fairly normal.
    48" long 200l/55g tank
    8 zebra danios
    6 glowlight tetras
    8 cardinal tetras
    1 black molly
    1 golden gourami
    1 pearl lace gourami

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    WOW. What a difference good care makes. He looks very happy now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I urge you to do what the others have. You should have 0 ammonia and if you do have ammonia, you probably have nitrites as well. Are you doing good water changes weekly? I drop algae waffers in for my catfish prior to turned off the lights at night. The other fish may not be leaving anything for him to eat. It's hard for these guys to live in a new tank. There is nothing for them to eat in there as no algae has grown yet.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   No Message - 100gw   A treasure for a treasure - hobbs   you da' man!  jersey representin'!  lol - jeffs99dime   for identifying my catfish! - hobbs   
    Childhood Cancer - 100gw   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - 100gw   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - 100gw   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - 100gw   

0 Not allowed!
    My pleco will only eat algea tablets in the dark. Have you made sure he gets enough food?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I hate to jump in on a negative thread, but ive lost 2 rhino plecos in less than a week. I thought the first was just a bad fish from my lfs, so i checked water parameters, AMM 0, ITES 0, ATES 10, pH 7.4
    Definitely no reason for death, so we bought a 2nd, and 2 days later, there he was, lying on the bottom.
    Not to threadjack, but i think we're having the same issue!! hehehe

Im gonna take a h20 sample to my lfs and see what they say. I suggest you do the same. The may have something different to tell you/me.
    Im seeing a slow outbreak of brown algae in my tank which is very depressing to see. You think you're taking care of your fish, meanwhile you're giving them a slow death.....
    Anyhow, once again, sorry for the slight threadjack. Im interested on your outcome, as i'll keep you informed on mine.

cheers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've had an outbreak of green fuzz algae, not the long stuff, just 2-3mm on plant leaves.
    Apart from that, I've got no ammonia and no nitrates. It's a heavily planted tank so all nitrogen levels are very low.
    48" long 200l/55g tank
    8 zebra danios
    6 glowlight tetras
    8 cardinal tetras
    1 black molly
    1 golden gourami
    1 pearl lace gourami

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

god im hungry - cocoa_pleco   You make me laugh! - Drumachine09   And lots of pizza too! lol - Chrona   wish i had some of this to drink right now - cocoa_pleco   DAAAAAM, this drink looks good - cocoa_pleco   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - cocoa_pleco   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - cocoa_pleco   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - cocoa_pleco   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - cocoa_pleco   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - cocoa_pleco   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nfras
    This is the second ancistrus I've lost in as many weeks. The first one was trapped in the filter so I assumed it just got trapped and died, but this one was sitting at the front of the tank. What do you think, disease or attack from another fish?

WOW, thats a banged up lil guy. may be fin nipping or fin rot