· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for listening and supproting me thanks - mitcore   congrats on the preg - mitcore   Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   yay for saving neglected fishies!! :) - shalafi04   Happy B'day - donvichu   

0 Not allowed!
    Wonder if it was an attempt at a "balloon" version?

He is a neat looking little fella though, do you know if they grow as big as the regular Texas?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Many cichlids have a short bodied type that occurs in the wild as well. It is likely due to a mutation just like melanistic and leutistic fish
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

add it to your sev tank! - Blu-ray   thanks for the banned game - bluebluecow   A cichlid for that cichlid guy - domjd05   Thanks for you help with my new EBJD! - Jaster   Good Work! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Neat looking , but deformed. Short bodied fish are the result of a deformity that has been fixed to create this as a strain in many aquarium fish . Like the balloon strains. I used to have a male Salvini with the short bodied deformity, and it doesn't seem to affect them much other than looking odd. If you have him with other Texas though he might get bullied and it might be best to keep him out of any breeding you may do .
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

If everyone is thinking alike , then no one is thinking.

Play ban the person above you Here

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    I agree partly with the above but want to stress the presence of short bodied populations of some species in the wild as well. Whether one want to call it a deformity there as well were the fish is able to survive in the wild can be discussed.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thought you needed a gift :) - arkie   for a fellow front lover - sailor   this is the biggest fish they have!! - The Red Severum   For making me smile with your Arow story. - Brookfish   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I am aware that they are a "mutated" version of the normal texas and that many strains of fish have these variants (not only cichlids). I am assuming he is a captive bred Short body fish although william is right...they can/do occur naturally. He also seems to get along fine with the other texas and all other tankmates, but they are being watched closely...as they always are.

thanks for the comments all!

P.s. His blue is really starting to pop now that he is in good water and is on a good diet! i'll update soon!
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift! Thank you for all your great posts =D - Ryuu   for guessing till your gills turned red!  you deserve one!  lol - KrytterKrys   Have a gift! - Tolley   For all your kind comments. Thank you - Celtic Fins   I thought you needed a front. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    He's very cool looking.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for listening and supproting me thanks - mitcore   congrats on the preg - mitcore   Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   yay for saving neglected fishies!! :) - shalafi04   Happy B'day - donvichu   

0 Not allowed!
    The Texas are a gorgeous looking fish. I hadn't seen one in "real life" until a couple of months ago, when they had one at one of the LFS's here. He was STUNNING! (He was about 8")

(glad to know that the short bodied versions do occur naturally in the wild without having humans mess around with them for the fun of it too. Good to hear!)

Definatley keep up to date with pics of him as he grows!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

add it to your sev tank! - Blu-ray   thanks for the banned game - bluebluecow   A cichlid for that cichlid guy - domjd05   Thanks for you help with my new EBJD! - Jaster   Good Work! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William
    I agree partly with the above but want to stress the presence of short bodied populations of some species in the wild as well. Whether one want to call it a deformity there as well were the fish is able to survive in the wild can be discussed.
    I've seen this in a few new world species , however it's not a normal variant for hericthys species to the best of my knowledge. Theraps species do display this morphology and few others that escape me at the moment. If this individual specimen is in fact tank raised fish I'd consider it a deformity though not a detrimental one since from my own experience with this it , it doesn't cause any real problems for the afflicted fish .
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

If everyone is thinking alike , then no one is thinking.

Play ban the person above you Here

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the awards! - Northernguy   Active! - Wild Turkey   Really nice Syno pic! - Brookfish   Merry Christmas ! - Northernguy   Have a great Christmas! - Demi ^_^   

0 Not allowed!
    He's a beautiful little guy!
    Sharon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thought you needed a gift :) - arkie   for a fellow front lover - sailor   this is the biggest fish they have!! - The Red Severum   For making me smile with your Arow story. - Brookfish   Happy Holidays! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the comments all! The thing that makes me happy is that he has a normal mouth...unlike a blood parrots that doesn't close properly or at all in many cases. To me that shows that the "mutation" is not quite as severe or intentional as that of a Blood parrot/jellybean cichlid. Maybe this weekend i'll try to have some new pics up.
    -Jordan
    Gar connaisseur

Predatory Tank:
    20" Tropical Gar, 18" Florida Gar, 20" Longnose Gar,
    17" Ornate Bichir, 25" Silver Arowana, 16" Bowfin, 15" Giant Gourami

16" Male Dovii

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast