· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Temperature

Default Temperature

0 Not allowed!
    I'd be curious what you folks do to cool down tanks in the summer. My 20 gallon is in a room that gets hot in the summer and thus the tank gets warmer than I would like it (Goldfish). I'm gone during the day so there's not much I can do except try and cool it down some when I get home.

Last year I took reusable ice cubes, put them in a freezer bag and put that in the tank and it did drop the water a couple degrees.

I just got a Eheim 2213 earlier this month. Thought I could set that in a bucked of ice. I suppose I could also do a small water change with cooler water.

I do leave the light off in the warmer months.

There must be some better ideas out there. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Get a fan and have it blow across the water. That can cool down the tank a few degrees at least, it'll also increase evaporation rate though. You can get a clip on fan for a few dollars at walmart and put it on the side of the tank.

Anything you can do to lower the temp in the room would help, close the blinds/curtains on the window, try to increase air circulation in the room too.

I'm gonna have to start doing some of these things soon again, I really don't like leaving the air conditioner running when I'm not home.

Guess as a last resort you could always consider investing in a chiller. Though they are a fair bit costly.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    since i work nights and sleep days my bedroon windows are completely blacked out. i have cardboard over them and dark thick curtains over that. my bedroon is always several degrees cooler than the rest of the apartment.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    How high does it get?

Do they show any signs of stress?

If not as long as you have a good air pump and stone they should be fine. They may just need more water changes because of the extra waste.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
    How high does it get?

Do they show any signs of stress?

If not as long as you have a good air pump and stone they should be fine. They may just need more water changes because of the extra waste.
    With a 20g tho, the water is much more likely to fluctuate than a bigger tank.

Chillers are way to expensive ($300>) for a 20g, I don't think its worth it. I'd do the low budget options of fans, water changes, ice cubes.

I've also been contemplating rigging up some kind of system involving running tubing in the tank and devising my own way of making a pump and pump ice water through the tubing.
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by robflanker
    With a 20g tho, the water is much more likely to fluctuate than a bigger tank.

Chillers are way to expensive ($300>) for a 20g, I don't think its worth it. I'd do the low budget options of fans, water changes, ice cubes.

I've also been contemplating rigging up some kind of system involving running tubing in the tank and devising my own way of making a pump and pump ice water through the tubing.
    How would you keep the water cold? Maybe someone has a DIY chiller out there..
    29: Harlequin Raspboras, Zebra Danios, Black Skirt Tetras, Platies, CAE
    10: Neons, Otos, Amano Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJim
    How would you keep the water cold? Maybe someone has a DIY chiller out there..
    There are DIY involving drilling a hole in the fridge but I don't feel like doing that.
    I figure just getting ice-water should cool it for a little while. Don't have to worry about ice-bags leak or anything like that.
    It's not fully thought-through yet, but it's got my brain ticking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

0 Not allowed!
    How about this crude 15sec idea? click on it to get larger i think

Now this requires some explanation;
    You'd need a filter (something small, 10g filter would prob be ok but not sure), a container, and air line hosing or similar.

The idea is that you'd have a container of anti-freeze that you could put in the freezer. It wouldn't freeze but would obviously be 0 degrees but in liquid form (i suppose anything that doesn't freeze would work, like rubbing alcohol). You'd have to figure a way of connecting the air line hose to the intake valve of the filter. This way the suction would go through the hosing and into the container of antifreeze. The tubing runs through the tank to cool it, and then the antifreeze returns to the filter and gets returned to the container to be re-sucked up by the intake. Obv you'd have to remove the filter cartridges from the filter

It'd be very cheap, might work, and if you put it all in a cooler, it'd slow the warming process up.
    Might work to cool it a little - ideas? thoughts? improvements?
    Last edited by robflanker; 04-27-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    20g - planning
    MS-II

Awards Showcase

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy Right on. - Wild Turkey Congrats on your award! - Brookfish you need more gifts! - The Red Severum 
    I hope your nose is okay! :) - invadertoast Thanks for the PM - William Official Muskateer Symbol - The Red Severum BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum FUNNIEST POSTER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum 
    thanks - mommy1 MAFIA 2.0 Thanks for playing! - The Red Severum Kaz: Supreme Predictor - robflanker congratulations for your awards - mommy1 thanks for the game - mommy1 
    Fun game! - KingFisher I just won the lottery! - Lab_Rat Have a pig - Agassizii for being a good guy - The Red Severum congratulations! - KingFisher 

0 Not allowed!
    Here's my Idea (shamelessly based on Rob's):

The Idea is that you use a siphon rather than a filter and just water with some Ice in it for cooling. You put ice in it whenever needed and the siphon puts the water back into the bucket (or cooler).

It's super simple and cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!

0 Not allowed!
    I'm claiming idea-infringement!

If you use a liquid that you can cool to lower than 0 degrees while it still is in liquid form you can have a more effective cooling system
    20g - planning
    MS-II