· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

Default Cherry Barb Color

0 Not allowed!
    My cherry barbs are stating to change color. when i brought them home from the pet store they were a light pale red color (probably from inadequate care seeing as how all my barbs darken significantly and are more active when i get them home and in my tank) and they changed to a slightly darker red color. i was like ok thats normal they're coloring up. over the past few days though all of them have be turning iridescent purple over the lateral line down their side. no problems with them just wondering if anyone else knows anything about this or has had anything odd happen thats similar.
    post your stories!

edit: i will try to get a good picture showing their color

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   right back at ya bud, Merry X-mas - Kuli_Loach   Drive your very own subway home for christmas! - Matt23   Have a drink on me - Dave66   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - OscarFan   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - OscarFan   

0 Not allowed!
    The males colors will deepen and become a cool red when they want to breed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    i know that the thing is the color on the one isnt nearly as deep red (one is about a burgandy color) the light one has iridescent purple above the lateral line. ive tried getting a pic of it but the light from my flash takes the shine away and makes it look like it isnt ever there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985   Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer   right back at ya bud, Merry X-mas - Kuli_Loach   Drive your very own subway home for christmas! - Matt23   Have a drink on me - Dave66   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - OscarFan   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - OscarFan   

0 Not allowed!
    The colors will vary based on dominance and genes. Also if you look their is a thread on how to take good photos that might help you get a good picture.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

just felt like celebrating today. - gabbyguppy   thanks for the plants - mommy1   Congrats on the new cube tank! - Pleco380   GRRR back at you - mommy1   Thanks for all the plants! - Lab_Rat   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jacko   

0 Not allowed!
    I know what you're talking about, have no idea what it is though, my male normal cherry barb had it for a while but lost it about a year ago (he's 7 years old, nearly 8). My dominant male albino cherry barb also has a slight irridescent barb about where you described it, it was most evident when I had him and a female in a breeding tank being fed on bloodworms.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarFan
    The colors will vary based on dominance and genes. Also if you look their is a thread on how to take good photos that might help you get a good picture.
    i have no problem taking pictures as ive worked with photography, taught photography classes for a business, and have very extensive knowledge about cameras. the problem lies in that when i take a picture the iridescent color doesn't show up.

to alex thank you! i wasn't sure if ide found something new or if it was just something common i had no idea about