· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cory questions...

0 Not allowed!
    So there is an obvious lack of bottom feeders in a few of my tanks at the moment. I want to try to get some corries but I have some questions.

1) I've read that corries are schoolers. How many should I get for a 10G, 20G, or 29G tank? I was thinking 2 for the 10G, 3 for the 20G and 4-6 for the 29?

2) Can corries of different kinds be put into the same tank? Are there any combinations that I should avoid?

3) Will corries breed in a community tank? Do they get aggressive? Can they breed between types? Where do they put the eggs?

4) Will corries hurt/eat neon tetras, guppies, mollies, or their fry?

Thanks for the help!!

P.S. If there are any cory breeders out there who have panda corries, green corries, panda corries and/or blue corries please drop me a PM!
    75G Coldwater Setup (May 2011)
    Angelfish Fry Development Project

Awards Showcase

RAK - DemonShark CONGRATULATIONS DADDY - Lady Hobbs for new bed - Lady Hobbs for new wife - Lady Hobbs to remodel steps - Lady Hobbs 
    To get bigger house? - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the shrimp!! They ROCK! - richberstler My Hero - Lady Hobbs guess what this is for?  LOL - Lady Hobbs Thanks for the plant help!!! Rep coming too!!! - jbeining75 
    Sorry for the loss.. Hope you feel better Gene!! - jbeining75 Thanks for becoming a mod - William Congratulations on Moderator Status! - Tolley To your Modship - Lady Hobbs thanks - mitcore 
    Keep your chin up. Your wife is in our prayers. - ILuvMyGoldBarb Thinking of you during this difficult time x - Fishalicious Your wife deserves a treat! - Rue No Message - Algenco No Message - Algenco 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Algenco Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Algenco Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Algenco Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Algenco Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - Algenco 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic
    So there is an obvious lack of bottom feeders in a few of my tanks at the moment. I want to try to get some corries but I have some questions.

1) I've read that corries are schoolers. How many should I get for a 10G, 20G, or 29G tank? I was thinking 2 for the 10G, 3 for the 20G and 4-6 for the 29?
    Good numbers, I have 8 in a 55

2) Can corries of different kinds be put into the same tank? Are there any combinations that I should avoid?

yes, they all get along, no problem species
    3) Will corries breed in a community tank? Do they get aggressive? Can they breed between types? Where do they put the eggs?

Yes, no, eggs will be stuck on plants,glass,etc
    4) Will corries hurt/eat neon tetras, guppies, mollies, or their fry?
    No, they will not harm any fish
    Thanks for the help!!

P.S. If there are any cory breeders out there who have panda corries, green corries, panda corries and/or blue corries please drop me a PM!
    Answers in red
    As I get older I find myself thinking about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

AC's Free Aquarium Ebook

Awards Showcase

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy Right on. - Wild Turkey Congrats on your award! - Brookfish you need more gifts! - The Red Severum 
    I hope your nose is okay! :) - invadertoast Thanks for the PM - William Official Muskateer Symbol - The Red Severum BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum FUNNIEST POSTER MAFIA 1.0 - The Red Severum 
    thanks - mommy1 MAFIA 2.0 Thanks for playing! - The Red Severum Kaz: Supreme Predictor - robflanker congratulations for your awards - mommy1 thanks for the game - mommy1 
    Fun game! - KingFisher I just won the lottery! - Lab_Rat Have a pig - Agassizii for being a good guy - The Red Severum congratulations! - KingFisher 

0 Not allowed!
    Almost all cories are extremely peaceful and should not give you any trouble.

Yes they will scatter eggs however those eggs are eaten unless you take care of them.

Depending on the type of cory you'll need different numbers, however 3 is a general baseline number.

They won't interbreed
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the help!! Now I just have to find a couple dozen... LOL

0 Not allowed!
    I would get at least 4, IMO a 10 gallon is too small for most cories except the pygmies (habrosus, pygmaseus, hastatus and aspies) since they are just so active and most get between 2 and 3 inches.

They all get along, I doubt they'll interbreed but it's possible given their similarities, highly unlikely though since they rarely school with different species of cories. That's one problem, if you get a school, get one of the same species. Bronze and paleatus cories don't school together, but bronze albino cories and bronze cories school together and paleatus and albino paleatus school together but they seem to be able to tell the difference in species.

For the eggs, they'll lay them on the glass and if you want to hatch them without risking the fry being eaten by other tankmates then you can carefully scrape them off into a plastic container and move them to a hatching/rearing tank. Keep them in the water at all times though.

Cories will eat any fry they catch, they won't catch many but if one happens to swim underneath them and fits in their mouth, they'll gobble it up.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have two albino corys and 2 emerald green corys and they school together most of the time. they wont do anything to other fish and are the funniest fish to watch scatter and swim all over the aquarium. mine especially love playing in plants. good luck finding some you want!
    http://www.azgardens.com/c-75-cory-c...rium-fish.aspx
    this website has dwarf panda cory cats you were looking for :

and skunk corys which you might like as theyre similar

they only get about 2 inches long and both are under 3$ which isnt bad at all. usually they do 2 day shipping too

0 Not allowed!
    I would not use azgardens to buy fish, they have a horrible customer reputation. I know someone who made a giant order, many species of tetras, cories and other fish, half the cories died, one of the habrosus cories was an oto, all of the pygmaseus were habrosus, the emperor tetras were kerri tetras, most of the nerite snails died and they were charged a ton for shipping and some of the fish had plastic net (like the onion bag stuff) floating around their bags, one of the cories was stuck in it and dead... That's just one bad experience I've heard out of many...

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info everyone.

I think I'm going to go with,
    5 green corries in the 29G tank
    3 panda corries in the 20G guppy tank
    3 spotted (or mix) in the 20G molly tank.

Now I just have to find them all...

Not sure what to do about the 10G tank. I would like to get some bottomfeeders in there but I'm not sure what to use.

0 Not allowed!
    Definitely get some pygmy corys. I've been on the lookout for them for a while now.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    you will see increased activity with 6+ rather than 3+ if its a possibility
    *(almost)all the species are peaceful and go together, and will often "hang out" but they are really happy and active looking with 6+ of the same species. I would generally consider 3 to be a breeding trio rather than a shoal, which is what the common species of cory desire. Check out these videos if you have time

*I believe there are a few larger species that are somewhat territorial and you have to watch about adding too many males, but those species are not as common and are a whole nother kettle of fish no pun intended.

Some types you may not want to will interbreed, but not cross species. One example would be albino cory aeneus, and regular bronze corys will most likely produce displeasing-looking offsping