· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Post Cycle with Fish... and plants?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a new 30-gallon tank and I added two fish (Black Skirt Tetra). This is day three, and the ammonia level is at 0.2... still 0's for the others. So its just starting, but I was planning on adding some java fern or java moss to the tank anyway. Should I do this while the tank is cycling? I've done some research online already, and from what I've read is fish first to establish the aquarium, then plants. But plants can be benificial for water quality right? So wouldn't it seem logical to add some plants right away to help balance everything out? Especially if they are hardy plants like the java's? Anyone out there with some experience in this area? Thanks in a advance for any advice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your generosity! - Sir Tristen   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Because your cool :) LOL - lovleeko   Thought you could use some good algae. Is there such a thing. LOL - lovleeko   stocking Rams - Algenco   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - bushwhacker   

0 Not allowed!
    go ahead and add your plants you may want to add a few mor fish also as two arent going to produce enough ammonia to really get it started.. just be sure you test every day and be ready to do 50% water changes as needed
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
    RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your tank! - Northernguy   merry christmas - mommy1   Merry Xmass - chipper   

0 Not allowed!
    water changes and more water changes when you cycle with fish. I did it with my 55gallon and it was a pain in the %$#. now cycling my 30 gallon without fish
    90 G
    Tiger Oscar
    Albino Oscar
    Blood Parrot
    Cat Fish

55 G
    2 Firemouths, 1 Common Pelco
    about 100 Frys
    55 G
    9 Marble Angels
    1 Firemouth

LOOKING for a 210

Patience
    the ability to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset, or to persevere calmly when faced with difficulties

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You Need A Gift - MeganL3985   
    Autism - nwnittany   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - nwnittany   Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - nwnittany   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think adding the plants will hurt anything and will make the tank more interesting while you cycle.

From what I understand, the main way the plants help the tank biology is by consuming nitrates, which you won't see until the end of your cycle. So, I don't think they will be of great help in the early parts (the tough parts) of your cycle. I guess there are some potential residual benefits if some leaves die, etc and their decay produces some ammonia, but I don't think this will be significant.

I agree with the earlier post - test your water and do water changes if the ammonia or nitrates get too high. I've read that changing the water can slow the cycle some, but you'll need to do this to minimize the stress on the fish...
    -- nw
    125 fw community planted: 4 cory, 6 kuhli loach, 3 guppy, 1 gourami, 1 betta, 6 angel, 4 oto cats, 1 albino pleco, 3 yo-yo, 8 danio, 1 ghost knife

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A neon for your tank! There were no platys. lol - Northernguy   Thanks for the help with those zombies - Northernguy   Right on. - Wild Turkey   Congrats on your award! - Brookfish   you need more gifts! - The Red Severum   

0 Not allowed!
    It's fine to add them, personally I recommend adding some java moss while cycling. It helps reduce srtress in several ways.

(Btw, from the other thread the siamese algae eater is fine, at this point it's just which one you like more, I've seen some cool looking yellowish BN plecos)
    SIX OR MORE MAN TO THE RESCUE!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Think I'll be getting some Java Moss at the LFS this week sometime. The relatively empty tank is driving me crazy, and I know I shouldn't add any more fish yet! :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nwnittany
    From what I understand, the main way the plants help the tank biology is by consuming nitrates, which you won't see until the end of your cycle. So, I don't think they will be of great help in the early parts (the tough parts) of your cycle.
    Actually, plants can be useful at the very beginning and once your cycle is established. Plants can use nitrogen from both ammonia and nitrate.

There is a technique that has been dubbed "Silent Cycling." In this technique, the tank is full planted and then fish are added. The plants end up using most of the ammonia that is produced, and the rest is used up by the bacteria that is being established. Using silent cycling, if you do it properly, you will never have any detectable levels of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, that's just cool! How would you keep the plants alive before the fish were added? I'm assuming to become fully planted, you'd have to wait a certain amount of time before adding the fish. Do you know where I could read more about this "Silent Cycling" thing? I'm curious - obviously too late for this tank as I already have the fish, but for future reference. Thanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    No, it's not too late at all. You put the fish and the plants in at the same time. You just need to add a good number of plants so that the ammonia uptake equals the ammonia output of your fish.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your generosity! - Sir Tristen   Thanks! - Wild Turkey   Because your cool :) LOL - lovleeko   Thought you could use some good algae. Is there such a thing. LOL - lovleeko   stocking Rams - Algenco   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - bushwhacker   

0 Not allowed!
    yup you want very fast growing stem plants
    The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.
    RIP Roscoe. We will meet again Bug.