· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Looking for some help, Corydoras: Peppered, Julii, or Habrosus

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,

I have ten gallon tank that has already been cycled for two months. Current residents are a single Nerite snail and two Cherry shrimps. I'd like to get either three Peppered Cories, three Julii Cories, or 5-6 Habrosus Cories. The problem is that I know 10 gallon is a pretty small tank. I'm wondering if these numbers would constitute overstocking.

Will the Peppered Cories grow too big to be comfortable?
    If these species are not appropriate, does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm mainly looking for hardy species that can be comfortable housed in a ten gallon tank.
    I've heard that the Peppered Cories are the hardiest. Is this true?
    I know Cories like to be in groups, are three individuals too small of a group?

My last concern is with the substrate. I know that sand is best for Corydoras, but I'm wondering if small sized round gravel will do. I have considered providing them with sand, but I dislike the idea of anaerobic gas buildup, and the difficulty in cleaning a sandy substrate.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by superyogurt; 04-16-2009 at 04:55 AM.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Forget the 10 gallon tank and find a way to upgrade to (at least) a 20 long. When it comes to tank size, bigger is always better. If you can't get a bigger tank I'd go with the hasbrosus or one of the other dwarf species. Any schooling fish is happier in a larger group, and the dwarfs aren't as bottom-oriented as the larger species. They'll swim all over the tank, making better use if the available space, and generally be more interesting.
    As for the substrate, sand is better. It's easier for bottom feeders to find food on top of the sand than down between gravel. Cleaning isn't difficult, particularly if you use a larger grade of sand (like pool filter sand) or a finer grade of gravel. I got some "gravel" at my lfs that I would have called "sand" personally, but it's much easier to deal with than play sand. If you don't make a thick bed of it you're less likely to have anaerobic pockets form. Stir it when you do a partial water change and you should be fine.

0 Not allowed!
    Toddnbecka said everything I was thinking. You won't see cory true behavior without a larger school. Otherwise, ditto!
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

0 Not allowed!
    For my 10g, I'm planning on getting 6 dwarf corys or panda corys. But i'll be moving them all to a 30g in August.

See my sig for my planned 10g
    30g - Planted - need to do some serious rethinking
    20g - planning
    MS-II

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone. Can anyone speak as to the hardiness of the smaller corydoras species? I've heard that habrosus and panda are a bit harder to keep than the larger ones. Besides habrosus, panda, and hastatus, are there other small cories I should consider?

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    C. pygmaeus is also a dwarf species. I've never heard of them being more difficult to keep, just more difficult to breed. However, I'm not a Cory keeper. I prefer Synodontis and pleco's; Cory's don't mix well with most cichlids.

0 Not allowed!
    I have some pygmy corydoras and they IME are just as hardy as the bigger corys.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright thanks for the advice, I think I'll get some pandas or some habrosus.