· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: River Rocks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

Default River Rocks

0 Not allowed!
    So I got a Pleco recently for my tank because I had some brown algae growing in it. I live right on the Conodoguinet creek, which flows through central PA. Itís a pretty clean creek and growing up (even about a month ago) Iíve drank from it since I was around 8 and never gotten sick. All the natural signs point to it being healthy and safe (lots of frogs, stoneflies, mayflies, salamanders etc..). This preface brings me to my question: will it be ok to take an algae covered rock from the creek and put it in my tank for my Pleco?

Living in Victoria, Canada; Born in Mexico City

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My neons and other fishies thank you for your help!! - fishymommy   For the good health of your plants and their strong growth! - W_Oz   have a guppy, lol, we have about 60 fry - labnjab   ahh you need more gifts!! - The Red Severum   Why have I never gave you a gift?! - Tolley   

0 Not allowed!
    Quite honestly, I wouldn't do it. It is not only diseases that can enter your tank if you allow some wildlife to get into it. You could also be introducing other things like snails -and they can be a headache!-, or the algae could eventually take over your tank. I would not recommend it.

The algae spores will enter your tank eventually anyways. The pleco will not starve to death... Do you have some driftwood?
    By Alfredo Franco-Cea
    30 gallon tank -- low light -- tannin stained water
    FAUNA: 7 zebra danios; 5 neon tetras; one male green swordtail; 2 female adult platies (plus fry); 6 bleeding heart tetras; 6 false rummy nose tetras
    FLORA: Anubias, Java Moss, Ceratophyllum, Java Fern, WindelÝv's Fern

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    yea i do but its not in the tank yet itll be in the tank within a day or two. hes eating the algae waffers or at least what he gets after the gouramis are done

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift!! - Brookfish   thank you - angelcakes   You need another one lol - Celtic Fins   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - abaigael04   

0 Not allowed!
    You can grow your own algae on your own rocks if you wanted to. I think there is a sticky or something around on it?
    If he is eating otherwise I wouldn't worry, though.
    Jade
    125 gal- chromobotia macracanthus, Baryancistrus beggini(L239)
    60 gal - planning for (tentatively) Celestial pearl danios and a pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus (L-114) - pterygoplichthys disjunctivus (needs a new home!)
    20 gal - pangio kuhlii
    10 gal Q tank
    Counting the YEARS to get my 200 gal!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I used to pick up algae-covered rocks from a clean stream for my mbuna. About 30 seconds in the microwave will kill anything potentially harmful, and the fish never seemed to mind. It's pretty easy to supplement their diet with veggies though. Zucchini is a favorite.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    the microwave idea is really great thanks. ive tried veggies but he doesnt seem interested at all in them but loves algae.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    get a few decent sized rocks and put them in a clear container of tank water. now put the container in a sunny window (facing south works best here)... in a few weeks you'll have lotsa algae... take them out and replace them when needed.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    What species of pleco do you have? Sometimes they take a while to figure out that the veggies are edible.