· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default breeding Red Belly Piranha

0 Not allowed!
    Can Some body Please tell me the method 4 breeding RB piranha. What Kind of a setup they require 4 breeding?
    What is the right tank size required 4 breeding? what are the appropriate temperatures required? what do the fry eat? srry too many questions but please help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter - Northernguy   For being part of the community - MCHRKiller   To a fellow Louisianian! - Owlbehere   Here you are! - Wild Turkey   Now your one of these! lol Congrats! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    by Wayne Mah

This was not wrote by me

If you have a group of adult red Piranhas, Serrasalmus nattereri, and they are larger than 6 inches, you maybe lucky enough to someday have two of them pair off and start mating. Your aquarium should be atleast 100 gallons, the water and the group of Piranhas should be well established, i.e, more than 6 months together. There should be no overcrowding so maybe a group of 5-6 piranhas. Try to pick healthy thick and thin adult Piranhas. Thick red piranhas in most cases represent females and thinner red Piranhas represent males. In all my piranha breeding experience, this sexing of the piranhas seems to be very accurate. But make sure you are not looking at them after they have fed or else the body will have been distorted. It is a very subtle difference but to a trained eye it is easy to detect. Having found males and females does not guarantee success, it only improves the chance. Telltale signs of possible success!

When two of your Piranhas begin to pair off and move away from the rest of the group, the mating ritual has begun. Both the male and female will stake out a territory and defend it throughout the mating process. Sometimes the female will wander away, but the male will seek her out and prod her back by bumping her or leading her back to their choosen spot. It is important that in your aquarium, there be area large enough for them to both circle around comfortably together. Another excellent sign of mating is when the male starts going around in circles in one area just above the bottom of the aquarium. The male may do this continuously for several days. The female is usually close by and both piranhas will chase away any other piranha that may come close. Before mating, the two pairs of piranha will likely eat quite a bit more than what is normal. But during mating and lasting for a few days, the two Piranhas may not eat much at all. Also during mating, there may be quite a few battle scars on all the piranhas in the aquarium as the pair defends their territory with a parental tenacity unseen at other times. During actual mating, both piranhas will point their faces towards the bottom of the aquarium pushing/gyrating their bodies together and all the while blowing their mouths at the gravel beneath them. Once the mating is over, the male remains with the eggs, while the female will have joined back up with the rest of the group. the male will continue to circle the area where the eggs were laid, thus fanning the area with new oygenated water. if you are lucky to have reached this stage, you should prepare a 10 to 15 gallon tank with heater and undergravel filter only. Use water from you main fish tank where the mating piranhas are and start waiting for signs the eggs hatching. The moment you spot any fry swimming, immediately siphon as careful as you can the area where the eggs where laid. Be wary the male will attack trying to protect the eggs. You can try to remove him before siphoning the eggs. Make sure you do not siphon before you see the fry swimming or else the eggs may not be ready. Once the eggs and some fry are in the smaller tank, start producing for daily consumption, live baby brine shrimp. (A good pet shop will show you how that is done). The fry will only eat this so you have to know how to make some.

It is my understanding that slightly warmer temperatures than normal, say 82 degrees and live feeder fish are very helpful in producing a mating pair. For my experience, it has been pure luck because i have done nothing out of the ordinary to have my piranhas breed and moreover, I have had several different pairs breed at different times and in different aquariums. It must be the tap water with some hidden love potion!

WAYNE MAH
    LAW LIBRARY
    YORK UNIVERSITY, 4700 KEELE ST.
    NORTH YORK ONTARIO. M3J 1P3
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"
    Teddy Roosevelt
    I have lots of tanks, 9 I think.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    I would personally advocate a larger tank...adult P.nattereri can grow to 10", something along the lines of a 180G(6ft*2ft*2ft) tank would be preferable. I would also stock the tank with 12 piranha, buy some 3-4" juvies and agreed with the previous post do buy some more robust fish and some thinner more streamlined fish. Your lighting should be dim, and your water should be full of tannis. I would recommend running an FX5, as well as some other cheap large canister dedicated to strictly peat filtration...cascades work wonderfully for this purpose. 2*3ft single bulb fixtures would be all youd want on the tank...some floating plants like frogbit would block out some light to the piranhas preference. Id also tie java moss to large stones and logs your piranha would probably use the moss covered rocks for a nest. A fine crushed gravel would be the best substrate sand would just be to hard to keep clean with the large messy fish IMO.

Piranha also like good water flow..a couple of large powerheads placed at one end of the tank opposite the return of the FX5 would make them feel right at home. Diet should never consist of live feeders but instead fresh market seafood(cheap fish and raw shrimp) they also can be taught to eat dried foods like Hikari Massivore and floating food sticks work well IMO. Piranha are show stopping fish when adult they are gorgeous and fortunatly natts arnt high on the aggression level...they are skitish so their tank shouldnt be placed in really high traffic areas either. You should keep them around 78*F and do large partial waterchanges every week, 40-50% works well and do it with slightly cooler water and drop their temp down to about 75*F as that would simulate the rainy season for the fish the time when most amazonian based fishes spawn.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter - Northernguy   For being part of the community - MCHRKiller   To a fellow Louisianian! - Owlbehere   Here you are! - Wild Turkey   Now your one of these! lol Congrats! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Listen to MCHRHILLER . mine was just copied off the internet sorry.

Good luck with breeding your piranhas
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick"
    Teddy Roosevelt
    I have lots of tanks, 9 I think.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a fish! - Northernguy   For being understanding - William   Here's a nice frontosa for you! Thanks! - Crispy   Thank you! - Alfcea   congrats on baby 1st 6wks is hard, also sorry about fri 13th hope this cheers you up - bluebluecow   

0 Not allowed!
    The most important part of breeding rb piranhas is to get the "rain" simulation right. You need to have an almost perfect sprinkler system to simulate rainfall throughout the entire tank. One rain bar won't do it. These fish only breed during the rainy season and if it does not feel real enough for them, forget it.
    100g Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Most P.natts you see around right now are a couple generations of tank spawned fish...they arnt *as* picky to replication as they used to be, but definatly do drop the temp that still seems to trigger it.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons